HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Monster Hit from Trouba (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1280841)

TonyFresco 11-08-2012 09:49 AM

Monster Hit from Trouba

http://youtu.be/C7VSXS0Gir4

Elbow down and I don't think his feet come off the ground until impact. Wonder if he'll get suspended for this?

Either way, massive hit. Can't wait for this guy to patrol the blue line with Bogo.

allan5oh 11-08-2012 10:08 AM

Looks like a headshot to me, but the guy is leaning over. Why is Trouba so far out of position? He's the only D back. His partner is out of position as well. If the guy had deked Trouba he would've had a breakaway.

IMO poor decision on many levels. It wasn't the safe play.

WinnipegWinter 11-08-2012 10:25 AM

This is actually a disturbing hit, not too excited about it

TonyFresco 11-08-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 55618979)
Looks like a headshot to me, but the guy is leaning over. Why is Trouba so far out of position? He's the only D back. His partner is out of position as well. If the guy had deked Trouba he would've had a breakaway.

I think it's his partner who was out of position. He's showing some pretty impressive range coming from the opposite side and then doesn't take any strides the last 10 feet or so before impact (while his opponent takes 2 or 3 more strides) and leans into the guy.

The worst thing about it was likely that he caught him on the blind spot, but the other player also has to be more aware of what's going on around him and keep his head up.

allan5oh 11-08-2012 10:44 AM

If the other player had a little more awareness he would've just put the brakes on, let Trouba miss and slam into the boards, and voila breakaway.

It was a bad decision.

Hammer Slammer 11-08-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 55619591)
If the other player had a little more awareness he would've just put the brakes on, let Trouba miss and slam into the boards, and voila breakaway.

It was a bad decision.

He's a kid, he'll get better. Still - that was a monster hit and it'll be nice to have some scary guys patrolling the blue line.

allan5oh 11-08-2012 10:56 AM

I get that, but these kind of hits are exactly why I didn't want us to pick Dumba.

edit:

Just to be clear, I like D that lay big hits. But there's a time and a place. Even a split second of difference and Trouba would've looked like a fool.

Aerial 11-08-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyFresco (Post 55618699)

Elbow down and I don't think his feet come off the ground until impact. Wonder if he'll get suspended for this?

Either way, massive hit. Can't wait for this guy to patrol the blue line with Bogo.

Yeah we're talking about this in the prospect thread! I believe this is the hit from Friday's game that he did get suspended for (one game IIRC). Definitely Exhibit A under "why you keep your head up kids."

What excites me about the clip is just seeing the passion he has for a nasty physical game. Technique and decisionmaking will continue to get cleaned up before he turns pro -- but there's a lot to love about a rookie terrorizing the NCAA.

Hank Chinaski 11-08-2012 11:15 AM

Bah, clean hit all the way.

That was the classic 'trolley tracks' situation that hockey players are taught to avoid from the time they start body contact. The Northern Michigan player basically gave himself a suicide pass off the boards. Not really sure I understand people saying Trouba made a risky move, either. He had him lined up all the way!

Personally, I love the fact we're getting a player who plays this style of hockey.

garret9 11-08-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

It was called a hit to the head which caused a game misconduct. Having a game misconduct caused an automatic 1 game suspension and Trouba didn't play the next game. Michigan played and lost the next day against the same team without both of their top4 right handed D (both Jets prospects Serville (injured) and Trouba (suspended)).
Quote:

3rd Jacob Trouba MICH 5.Contact To The Head 14:43
3rd Jacob Trouba MICH 10. DISQUALIFICATION 14:43
Quote:

The Wolverines ran into a bit of penalty trouble at the 14:43 mark of the third period, when freshman Jacob Trouba (Rochester, Mich.) was tagged with a five-minute major and game disqualification for contact to the head. Trouba will be ineligible for Saturday night's contest.
Quote:

I look forward to ~3-5 years down the road when our right side will be guarded by Bogosian and Trouba as a nasty 1-2 punch. Both have strong skating and hockey IQ to reduce trouble of poor decisions when hitting, especially if we still have Huddy in charge and developing our D core.
Sure if this was the NHL I would be scared about him getting out of position and taking a risk when he didn't have his partner to support him, but as a prospect I'm not going to worry.

ps241 11-08-2012 11:17 AM

The kid took a look when he chipped the puck out of the zone and saw Trouba coming across then he chose to ignore him? Trouba saw that the kid was alone on the rush and had tunnel vision and lowered the boom, He maintained body position, did not leave his skates at contact, and did not raise an elbow to the kids head. It was a vicious hit and given the current climate of hockey a hit that is going to earn you a suspension but it was not a cheap shot IMHO.

I for one have no problem having a top prospect that is physical as a matter of fact I want that and it is a part of the reason I love Bogosian. I don't want Trouba running around all game out of position to try to land a monster hit but I like that it is part of his game (once in a while). In the future if you are playing against the Jets you can bet that the other team will know when Trouba is on the ice and better keep their heads up.

Common guys he is a very skilled PPG freshman D man with a great breakout pass, fantastic one time shot, high end skater, and happens to be a BIG kid with a mean streak. I LOVE this draft pick.

SCP Guy 11-08-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ps241 (Post 55620269)
The kid took a look when he chipped the puck out of the zone and saw Trouba coming across then he chose to ignore him? Trouba saw that the kid was alone on the rush and had tunnel vision and lowered the boom, He maintained body position, did not leave his skates at contact, and did not raise an elbow to the kids head. It was a vicious hit and given the current climate of hockey a hit that is going to earn you a suspension but it was not a cheap shot IMHO.

I for one have no problem having a top prospect that is physical as a matter of fact I want that and it is a part of the reason I love Bogosian. I don't want Trouba running around all game out of position to try to land a monster hit but I like that it is part of his game (once in a while). In the future if you are playing against the Jets you can bet that the other team will know when Trouba is on the ice and better keep their heads up.

Common guys he is a very skilled PPG freshman D man with a great breakout pass, fantastic one time shot, high end skater, and happens to be a BIG kid with a mean streak. I LOVE this draft pick.

Agree....Keep your head up kid and it won't get taken off :nod:

YWGinYYZ 11-08-2012 12:59 PM

Hnidy was just ruminating on 1290 that it would be a "questionable Shanahan" call if it were in the NHL, but felt that the other player definitely knew Trouba was there (he did look at him prior to focusing on the puck), and that players have also have to also ensure they don't put themselves into those type of situations. Felt that the other player probably thought he'd try to ride him out along the boards, and not utterly destroy him.

I love Trouba's mean streak and his overall game: the maturity as to when to use it will come with time. Still very happy about this draft pick.

Pavelec4MVP 11-08-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCP Guy (Post 55621941)
Agree....Keep your head up kid and it won't get taken off :nod:

^^^^

Can I get an AMEN BROTHER!

Guardian17 11-08-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

I'll post it for you! :)

vBurmi 11-08-2012 04:08 PM

Clean hit (ethically), the puck carrier should have seen him back there and pulled up to avoid it. That said, it's definitely suspendable when the onus is on the hitting player to avoid contact with the head, even though this is a grey area where the player made no attempt to protect himself when he should have been able to do so. I'm arguing against myself a bit so I'll just say that I like Trouba's willingness to play that kind of game.

wilty00 11-08-2012 04:16 PM

How is that anything but a clean hit? Elbow down, stayed on his feet... realistically it looks like he literally thought through everything he could do to legally truck the guy.

Sucks for the guy who got nailed, but that's a clean hit.

Whether or not you want to argue about the fact he could've gotten beat is a whole other discussion. He say a chance to light a guy up and he took it and we need that on the blueline.

Pavelec4MVP 11-08-2012 05:44 PM

That hit was clean, but very violent.

allan5oh 11-08-2012 05:48 PM

The Shanahammer would definitely rule this a headshot because the person receiving the hit didn't suddenly move.

Even if it was clean, it wasn't a "smart high hockey IQ" hit. If he had another D behind him it would be a different story.

Le Golie 11-08-2012 06:19 PM

Great to see. I want him to be a mean s.o.b. who people hate playing against.

Hope the kid he obliterated is okay.

bigplay41 11-08-2012 06:40 PM

Man trouba ****** up that punk!!

Duir 11-08-2012 06:44 PM

I see nothing wrong with the hit. To me, that is textbook on how you should do it these days by not leaving your feet, aiming for the head, and not leading with an elbow. The other kid just got a lesson in what a trolley track is, is all.

TCsmyth 11-08-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 55618979)

Wow, it really is amazing how people can see a play so many different ways.

I saw a kid that flew across the ice, and challenged a rusher in the neutral zone - all the while having a full speed back checker. Anybody that thinks this play had any chance of being a breakaway should just try one more look.

This is EXACTLY what bothered me about our d last year...too passive, to much backing in - not enough neutral ice challenge when having back side pressure.

TCsmyth 11-08-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh (Post 55629609)
The Shanahammer would definitely rule this a headshot because the person receiving the hit didn't suddenly move.

Even if it was clean, it wasn't a "smart high hockey IQ" hit. If he had another D behind him it would be a different story.

Allan, I watched it again, and even though his d partner got it chipped by him - because he did a fly by, he would have already been back had Trouba somehow missed (don't really see how he was gonna!).

We will have to agree to disagree on a high risk low IQ play...I just can't characterize it like that.

TCsmyth 11-08-2012 08:25 PM

Wow...more times I watch, the more I like it. Really clean, really incredible closing of the gap...can anyone say mini-Bogo?