HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Draft 2005 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=128094)

Pulfy14 02-07-2005 03:08 PM

Draft 2005
 
if there is a draft who would you like the leafs to draft if we have the same pick 24th overall here is a link to show you players that would be edgible for the 2005 draft in the top 60 http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=125458

Dark Knight 02-07-2005 03:23 PM

Forwards.

numbered by preference on who's available at the time.

1. Anze Kopitar ( my first choice )
2. Slava Trukhno ( one of my fav draftees )

Defenseman.

1. Teemu Laakso
2. Marc Staal

Dark Knight 02-07-2005 03:26 PM

Brian Lee looks like a good investment if all the wanted players are gone.

I'd like to hear who you're interested in?

VanW27 02-07-2005 03:37 PM

O'Marra looks like a good late 1st round pick.

Leaf Army 02-07-2005 03:39 PM

I'll admit that I only follow junior prospects casually and not as much as some people on this site (unless their affiliated with the Leafs of course), so take my opinion for what it's worth.

However, Ryan O'Marra is listed exactly at 24 on the list you provided and I think the Leafs would do very well if they got him. However he could go higher than 24 though. Of course we could also be picking higher than 24.

Kendal McArdle, Marc Staal and Alex Bourret also would be interesting if any of them by chance happen to be around when we pick.

As far as potential for later rounds, I like the idea of defenceman Dustin Kohn if he fell down to our 3rd round pick, but once again that might be wishful thinking. I would be more than willing to take a chance on Colton Yellow Horn with a 5th rounder. And John Doherty's teammate Chad Rau might be available quite late in the draft and I like the idea of him as well.

Pulfy14 02-07-2005 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaDdY
Brian Lee looks like a good investment if all the wanted players are gone.

I'd like to hear who you're interested in?

Well i havent researched much so far but i would have to say stall and Omara look pretty good choices

richardn 02-07-2005 04:50 PM

How about Dan Ryder :D .

Mess 02-07-2005 05:00 PM

DRAFT SMAFT .. Want to hear my 2 cents on the next entry draft

Now this will never happen but it theory it should work ..

No Entry Draft at all ..

Every player turning 19 becomes a UFA ..

Free to go to the team of his choice .. In an hard cap world all is fair in love and War .. Big market teams have no $$ advantage and its all based on Cap room and planning..


In a 30 team league that has a:

Min (32 Mil) and Max(38) Hard Cap range for all teams
Max roster size or 22 or 23 in the NHL
Limit on players under contract by organization ie 60 .. (ex. 23 NHL, 22 AHL , 5-10 in Junor/ NCAA & 5-10 Euros)
4 year entry level salary rookie Max 850k + 250k bonuses
NHL waivers to move players Up and Down as now

Isn't this whole mess about creating parity among all teams ??

If a young player chooses his team you are darn sure you are going to get effort from an owners point of view and avoid the Lindos I am not going to play fiasco's ..

The RJ Unberger is a perfect example .. Drafted by Vancouver .. Contract problem and traded, NYR not interested in signing him ..Sat out the year ..Umberger being a PA born player decided between Pitts and Philly and is now very happy to be with that organization and it took UFA to accomplish that ..

Teams would have no reason to tank seasons to get draft picks

Teams that need the young player the most would plan the best, and the young teams would have their pick of the UFA vets to build their teams that have strong cores already .. It allows teams to sign by need and not BPA ..

Say for next draft year ... Crosby may want to play in Montreal as his first choice, or maybe pick NJ because his friend Zach Parise is there etc. or he likes LA .. Gilbert Brule may pick Vancouver .. but that is not always true .and it has to be a 2-way streets and his team of choice has to have a need and Cap room . but it certainly would increase Fan support in cities and increase revenue and the Euro's anybody guess .. The future players like Phil Kessel could pick his city to promote the game in the USA etc Kessel in Columbus would go a long way to promote Fan support in the USA verses Kessel getting drafted and playing in Montreal or Edmonton lets say.

It would promote teambuilding throughtout the NHL ,

Almost like making it like NCAA recruiting in the States ..You hear the prospect development cliché often enough .. now these amateur scouts could really prove their worth by securing the best talent for their teams.

and with a complete balance for the NHL and NHLPA in a new CBA .. why would this not in theory work??

Dark Knight 02-07-2005 05:27 PM

Nice. So who does Toronto get :(

Pulfy14 02-07-2005 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaDdY
Nice. So who does Toronto get :(

CROSBY LOL

stugotz 02-07-2005 05:54 PM

In the first round I would take O'Marra if he's still around, although i'd also love to get Kopitar, Durand, Skille, and Bertram who I believe is underrated.

On Defence i'd take either Laakso or Kindl.

Looking to the second round i would select either Ilja Zubov or Evan Brophy

Mess 02-07-2005 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaDdY
Nice. So who does Toronto get :(

Jeff Carter of couse ..

and Flyers fans arrive in 5 .. 4... 3.. 2... 1

Seriously .. That depends .. I am sure all 30 teams would go after Crosby obviously .. perhaps Toronto would try to recruit and young scoring forward or 2 ..

Benoit Pouliot .. Bobby Ryan .. for local talent

Marek Zagrapan.. whoever they go after and recruit ..

The NHL is thinking of a 30 team lottery solution, so this really is the same thing ..

Pulfy14 02-07-2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger[size=3
The NHL is thinking of a 30 team lottery solution, so this really is the same thing .. [/size]

So are you saying there still can be a draft?

Leaf Army 02-07-2005 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leafs_fan1001
So are you saying there still can be a draft?

Not if there's no CBA.

Stajan Fan 02-07-2005 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stugotz
In the first round I would take O'Marra if he's still around, although i'd also love to get Kopitar, Durand, Skille, and Bertram who I believe is underrated.

On Defence i'd take either Laakso or Kindl.

Looking to the second round i would select either Ilja Zubov or Evan Brophy

O'Marra
Staal

Bertram was considered a first round pick at the start of the year, but his stock has fall considerably and he will probably wait until next year to enter the draft.He is one hell of a player though, I watched him in his Camrose Kodiaks lots of nights and he was simply awesome. He will be a steal in the second round, but I wouldnt take him first round.

BringGilmourBack 02-08-2005 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
DRAFT SMAFT .. Want to hear my 2 cents on the next entry draft

Now this will never happen but it theory it should work ..

No Entry Draft at all ..

Every player turning 19 becomes a UFA ..

Free to go to the team of his choice .. In an hard cap world all is fair in love and War .. Big market teams have no $$ advantage and its all based on Cap room and planning..


In a 30 team league that has a:

Min (32 Mil) and Max(38) Hard Cap range for all teams
Max roster size or 22 or 23 in the NHL
Limit on players under contract by organization ie 60 .. (ex. 23 NHL, 22 AHL , 5-10 in Junor/ NCAA & 5-10 Euros)
4 year entry level salary rookie Max 850k + 250k bonuses
NHL waivers to move players Up and Down as now

Isn't this whole mess about creating parity among all teams ??

If a young player chooses his team you are darn sure you are going to get effort from an owners point of view and avoid the Lindos I am not going to play fiasco's ..

The RJ Unberger is a perfect example .. Drafted by Vancouver .. Contract problem and traded, NYR not interested in signing him ..Sat out the year ..Umberger being a PA born player decided between Pitts and Philly and is now very happy to be with that organization and it took UFA to accomplish that ..

Teams would have no reason to tank seasons to get draft picks

Teams that need the young player the most would plan the best, and the young teams would have their pick of the UFA vets to build their teams that have strong cores already .. It allows teams to sign by need and not BPA ..

Say for next draft year ... Crosby may want to play in Montreal as his first choice, or maybe pick NJ because his friend Zach Parise is there etc. or he likes LA .. Gilbert Brule may pick Vancouver .. but that is not always true .and it has to be a 2-way streets and his team of choice has to have a need and Cap room . but it certainly would increase Fan support in cities and increase revenue and the Euro's anybody guess .. The future players like Phil Kessel could pick his city to promote the game in the USA etc Kessel in Columbus would go a long way to promote Fan support in the USA verses Kessel getting drafted and playing in Montreal or Edmonton lets say.

It would promote teambuilding throughtout the NHL ,

Almost like making it like NCAA recruiting in the States ..You hear the prospect development cliché often enough .. now these amateur scouts could really prove their worth by securing the best talent for their teams.

and with a complete balance for the NHL and NHLPA in a new CBA .. why would this not in theory work??


I really don't think it would work. If infact a player did get to choose his own destiny (team) than you would see alot of teams that would be bare. I mean, c'mon, realistically how many players out there are going to want to play for lets say, a Columbus, or Carolina? Sure there will be the odd player. But how many American players are out there? There is 24 American teams in the NHL, 6 in Canada, and the majority (what is it , 65%?) of players come from Canada. I'd assume a Canadian (for the most part) would choose a Canadian based team to call his home. (and I am aware of the European content, who knows where they would choose to go)

And lets just say a team is at it's max salary (payroll), does that mean they don't get to draft?

Anywho, it was a nice thought, I just don't see how it could be plausible. I just think there has to be more boundries (unfortunately).

Mess 02-08-2005 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder19
I really don't think it would work. If infact a player did get to choose his own destiny (team) than you would see alot of teams that would be bare. I mean, c'mon, realistically how many players out there are going to want to play for lets say, a Columbus, or Carolina? Sure there will be the odd player.

Anywho, it was a nice thought, I just don't see how it could be plausible. I just think there has to be more boundries (unfortunately).


That is exactly the point I am making that you are supporting by your response ..

"I mean, c'mon, realistically how many players out there are going to want to play .."

Is the $32 - 38 million Salary Cap dollar question ...

If young players on their on free will or UFA vets DO NOT WANT TO PLAY in Columbus or Carolina ..

Then why in the NHL in these Cities???

By forcing them to play there against their wishes at the expense of tearing apart the NHL in a NEW CBA where the strong teams are forced to remove talent and share revenue to support these same players that do not want to be there is the first place ..

See my point .. ???

The idea will never fly anyway but it should work in theory because every team in the new NHL can only spend XX dollars on salary with a Cap and despite the fact the OHL has many players in close vicinity to the Leafs and Sens, both the Ontario teams are limited by roster size like all the rest so the prohibits them from signing everyone and they have to go pick Buffalo and Pittsburgh and Columbus to play in the NHL if Ontario teams are full .. and who says Toronto would go after and OHL player anyways they might like a Euro or an WHL or NCAA player better .. ??

I am just way ahead of my time with this idea ..but based on Bettman's rules and parity it should actually work is my point.

Falon 02-08-2005 11:25 AM

An elite goalie. If there is one.

BringGilmourBack 02-08-2005 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
That is exactly the point I am making that you are supporting by your response ..

"I mean, c'mon, realistically how many players out there are going to want to play .."

Is the $32 - 38 million Salary Cap dollar question ...

If young players on their on free will or UFA vets DO NOT WANT TO PLAY in Columbus or Carolina ..

Then why in the NHL in these Cities???

By forcing them to play there against their wishes at the expense of tearing apart the NHL in a NEW CBA where the strong teams are forced to remove talent and share revenue to support these same players that do not want to be there is the first place ..

See my point .. ???

The idea will never fly anyway but it should work in theory because every team in the new NHL can only spend XX dollars on salary with a Cap and despite the fact the OHL has many players in close vicinity to the Leafs and Sens, both the Ontario teams are limited by roster size like all the rest so the prohibits them from signing everyone and they have to go pick Buffalo and Pittsburgh and Columbus to play in the NHL if Ontario teams are full .. and who says Toronto would go after and OHL player anyways they might like a Euro or an WHL or NCAA player better .. ??

I am just way ahead of my time with this idea ..but based on Bettman's rules and parity it should actually work is my point.



I never saw the part where you stated "Now this will never work" Sorry, my bad. I like my idea better anyways

It Kills Me 02-08-2005 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
That is exactly the point I am making that you are supporting by your response ..

"I mean, c'mon, realistically how many players out there are going to want to play .."

Is the $32 - 38 million Salary Cap dollar question ...

If young players on their on free will or UFA vets DO NOT WANT TO PLAY in Columbus or Carolina ..

Then why in the NHL in these Cities???

By forcing them to play there against their wishes at the expense of tearing apart the NHL in a NEW CBA where the strong teams are forced to remove talent and share revenue to support these same players that do not want to be there is the first place ..

See my point .. ???

The idea will never fly anyway but it should work in theory because every team in the new NHL can only spend XX dollars on salary with a Cap and despite the fact the OHL has many players in close vicinity to the Leafs and Sens, both the Ontario teams are limited by roster size like all the rest so the prohibits them from signing everyone and they have to go pick Buffalo and Pittsburgh and Columbus to play in the NHL if Ontario teams are full .. and who says Toronto would go after and OHL player anyways they might like a Euro or an WHL or NCAA player better .. ??

I am just way ahead of my time with this idea ..but based on Bettman's rules and parity it should actually work is my point.

No one signs with Columbus and Carolina, and therefore no more Columbus or Carolina.

Mess 02-08-2005 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
No one signs with Columbus and Carolina, and therefore no more Columbus or Carolina.

Any chance you can get that forwarded to Bettman .. ???

Christ 02-08-2005 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Messenger
Any chance you can get that forwarded to Bettman .. ???

Any chance he will read it if it were forwarded?

It Kills Me 02-09-2005 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ
Any chance he will read it if it were forwarded?

He'll try but I doubt monkeys can read. He's also a disgrace to his species.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.