HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New Jersey Devils (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   New Jersey Devils own deep, diverse group of defensive prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1280967)

HF Article 11-08-2012 04:25 PM

New Jersey Devils own deep, diverse group of defensive prospects

In terms of strengths and weaknesses, not much has changed for the New Jersey Devils organization. They continue to be well stocked on the blue line, which is good for the future because, aside from Adam Larsson and Mark Fayne, the majority of defensman in New Jersey are on the wrong-side of 30. In between the pipes, the Devils have finally started to plan for future and have a solid group of goaltending prospects. Upfront is a bit of a different story. There is some decent depth at wing and center, but in terms of top-six ability, there is not much to get excited about.… read more

More...

glenwo2 11-08-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

New Jersey Devils own deep, diverse group of defensive prospects
Try saying THAT 3 times fast. :laugh:

Zippy316 11-08-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenwo2 (Post 55631645)
Try saying THAT 3 times fast. :laugh:

New Jersey Devils own deep, diverth group of dethenthive prospects. :laugh::laugh:

CerebralGenesis 11-08-2012 08:24 PM

I love the evolution of our defensive prospects and I hope we continue adding at least 1 or 2 every year. Whatever they are scouting for lately seems to be able to produce viable dmen.

Dmen factory please.

Bleedred 11-08-2012 08:44 PM

I want more forward/offensive prospects. Hopefully though if worse comes to worst we maybe have some D prospects to trade for some forward prospects sometime.

Saugus 11-08-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis (Post 55633511)
I love the evolution of our defensive prospects and I hope we continue adding at least 1 or 2 every year. Whatever they are scouting for lately seems to be able to produce viable dmen.

Dmen factory please.

Yep. We used to be able to trade random defensive prospects for good returns simply because we were known as a defenceman factory. We've gotten away from that a bit, now it's Nashville with that reputation.

Also, the blurb in the OP says Larsson and Fayne are on the "wrong side of 30". Aren't they actually considered to be on the right side of 30 because they are under 30?

Bleedred 11-08-2012 10:09 PM

I hope we don't go into a defensive system again in the coming years. Love this offensive/forechecking system. More offensive zone trap PLZ!:handclap: Or would it be called defensive zone trap since we're trapping the other team in their defensive zone?

CerebralGenesis 11-08-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saugus (Post 55635837)
Yep. We used to be able to trade random defensive prospects for good returns simply because we were known as a defenceman factory. We've gotten away from that a bit, now it's Nashville with that reputation.

Also, the blurb in the OP says Larsson and Fayne are on the "wrong side of 30". Aren't they actually considered to be on the right side of 30 because they are under 30?

Maybe he edited, but he's saying that other than those 2, everyone else is over 30. And I agree, we need the youth on D to pan out. Especially since Pete runs a system requiring horses on the blueline.

Saugus 11-08-2012 10:27 PM

I'm confident in the youth panning out. Larsson is well on his way to being the #1 we need. Merrill is getting there too, and Albany is stocked with exciting young defencemen.

CerebralGenesis 11-08-2012 11:10 PM

There's just something about Merrill that worries me.

Bleedred 11-08-2012 11:41 PM

Scoring on the blue line would be great too. That was one of the worst things about us last year. Larsson I think can provide some goal scoring. Merrill, and Gelinas too hopefully. Andy Greene used to be able to, but most of that was PP goals, and he doesn't get PP time no more. Zidlicky won't last past this year which is fine cause we need the money for our forward UFA's.

HeliDevil 11-09-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saugus (Post 55636661)
I'm confident in the youth panning out. Larsson is well on his way to being the #1 we need. Merrill is getting there too, and Albany is stocked with exciting young defencemen.

I am confident as well. But I can't say Larsson is well on his way to being that number one we need. He certainly has had a good start, but remember he was benched through a lot of the playoffs. I just don't think we should get ahead of ourselves just yet.

Bleedred 11-09-2012 12:36 AM

I can't believe Pete let Volchenkov play over Larsson in the first round. Volchenkov was incredibly bad. I wanted to punch people, and take my anger out. That's how bad he was. In his defense though I think he was injured somehow. Though he did make some dumb plays throughout the playoffs, but not nearly as bad.

He did cause a breakaway in game 5 of the SCF that Marty stopped though. My first thoughts were to throw Volchenkov out, call Larsson from upstairs, and tell him to get his ass downstairs to the locker room, and get the gear on! Too bad that's not allowed though!:laugh:

apice3* 11-09-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis (Post 55636441)
Maybe he edited, but he's saying that other than those 2, everyone else is over 30. And I agree, we need the youth on D to pan out. Especially since Pete runs a system requiring horses on the blueline.

Meh. Andy Greene just turned 30 a week ago, Volchenkov less than a year ago and Harrold is 29.

5 of our 8 D-men are 30 or younger. Not really a huge concern for me. I think we have two gems in Urbom and Merrill. Merrill has the tools to be a top pair guy and Urbom is probably already good enough to play on the 3rd pair. Don't see anyway those two guys don't pan out.

Burlon and Gelinas would be nice. Not too familiar with them.

apice3* 11-09-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleedred (Post 55638523)
I can't believe Pete let Volchenkov play over Larsson in the first round. Volchenkov was incredibly bad. I wanted to punch people, and take my anger out. That's how bad he was. In his defense though I think he was injured somehow. Though he did make some dumb plays throughout the playoffs, but not nearly as bad.

I don't think Larsson deserved to sit but Volchenkov deserved to start it. He was the top PK guy on the team on the best statistical PK unit of all time. I would have yanked him around game 3 or 4 though because he was putrid.

Saugus 11-09-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeliDevil (Post 55638441)
I am confident as well. But I can't say Larsson is well on his way to being that number one we need. He certainly has had a good start, but remember he was benched through a lot of the playoffs. I just don't think we should get ahead of ourselves just yet.

I don't think it's too soon to say that. Every player struggles and hits a wall in his first year, it's only guys like Crosby who don't. We have all seen flashes of the #1 that Larsson can be, now it's just a matter of getting the consistency. He works hard, he's clearly coachable, and he's getting mentored by Hall of Fame defencemen. He'll get there.

glenwo2 11-09-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleedred (Post 55636341)
I hope we don't go into a defensive system again in the coming years. Love this offensive/forechecking system. More offensive zone trap PLZ!:handclap: Or would it be called defensive zone trap since we're trapping the other team in their defensive zone?

As long as Fake-Randy-Quaid is HC of the Devils, that's what the System will be. :nod:

Bleedred 11-09-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenwo2 (Post 55641473)
As long as Fake-Randy-Quaid is HC of the Devils, that's what the System will be. :nod:

Haha you think he looks like Randy Quaid?:laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by apice3 (Post 55638953)
I don't think Larsson deserved to sit but Volchenkov deserved to start it. He was the top PK guy on the team on the best statistical PK unit of all time. I would have yanked him around game 3 or 4 though because he was putrid.

Yeah that's where I'm at. I probably would have sat him after game 2. Game 3 though the plug would have been pulled.

That first Florida goal I still couldn't figure out what was going on there in game 3. Did Marty really mean to give up THAT HORRIBLE of a rebound? Or was Volchenkov supposed to take that?

Wingman77 11-09-2012 11:23 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/photos/galleries/2...82_m_touch.jpg

Brovalchuk 11-09-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingman77 (Post 55643729)

Holy ****. Impeccable.

devsfan4life 11-09-2012 02:49 PM

I always thought Pete looked like Kevin Spacey

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...paceyApr09.jpg

http://media.nj.com/devils/photo/10215101-large.jpg

Bleedred 11-09-2012 03:11 PM

I thought Randy Quaid was quite a bit heavier than Pete? He don't look that big in the picture wingman posted of him though.

I don't think he looks like Spacey either. I think it's the hair or lack thereof.

glenwo2 11-09-2012 06:08 PM

^ You could make a case for both.

But for me, when I look at him, I half-expect Chevy Chase to appear besides him.... :sarcasm:

devilsblood 11-09-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis (Post 55637527)
There's just something about Merrill that worries me.

Im not worried per se, but given the off ice stuff, plus the depth we have in terms of prospects at the blue line, if a trade for a talented fwd is available, and Merrill were to go the other way, I'd be cool with that.

Granted I have not seen him play any more then a clip here and there, and maybe once I do get to see him consistently my mind changes, but right now I see Merrill as a very tradeable peice.

Hockey Sports Fan 11-09-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenwo2 (Post 55652261)
^ You could make a case for both.

But for me, when I look at him, I half-expect Chevy Chase to appear besides him.... :sarcasm:

Yup. This right here.