HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Prospect Info: Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1281451)

WildcatMapleLeafs28 11-09-2012 09:55 PM

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues
 
I think this guy deserves his own thread. Dmitri Jaskin made the move to Moncton and has arrived better than expected. After a medicore season in a european pro league , Jaskin is flourishing in his first stint in the CHL. He's proved himself well worthy of being chosen in the first round, 22nd overall, in the CHL Import draft this past June. Dmitri , a 6'2" 203 pound power forward, flanks the right side of Russian sensation Ivan Barbashev and the two have formed instint chemistry since arriving here not that long ago. They compliment each other well and are good enough that it dosn't matter who plays on the left side of Moncton's second line. His transition from europe to North American was a smooth one. Jaskin is a fan favourite for his "fine fashion" goal scoring. He's defiantely that last thing from a perimeter player as he goes through his opponents. He plays with an edge and is fearless when battling along the boards and digging in the corner. He extremely strong and almost impossible to knock off the puck. He uses his stick very effectively while defending, he can often strip his opponents of the puck .He's definately not affraid to do the work and says it's okay because it's rewarding when the puck ends up in the back of the net. Jaskin posseses a lethal shot with dead on accuracy which causes big problems for the opposing team's goaltenders. He can also be found using his "one timer" slap shots on the squad's first powerplay unit. Dmitri Jaskin comes as advertised and has an excellent hockey IQ, he reads plays very well. One of his previous flaws ,according to many hockey people, was his skating and foot speed. This was partcially due to a knee injury which he sustained a year prior. That has completely changed. If anything, skating is now one of his fortes and that is probably to do with exhausting excerise routine and dedication to obtaining his dream of playing in the NHL. Dmitri Jaskin is now tied for first in team scoring with overage star forward and fourth year veteran, Alex Saulnier. He currently has 15 goals and 12 assists for 27 points in only 20 contests. His pace is seemingly picking up as time goes on and he is improving everyday.He looks like a man, playing amongst boys. I look forward to following his progress and know he'll be in the NHL in the very near future.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=dmitri...6&tx=96&ty=106

Frenzy1 11-10-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 (Post 55658387)
I think this guy deserves his own thread. Dmitri Jaskin made the move to Moncton and has arrived better than expected. After a medicore season in a european pro league , Jaskin is flourishing in his first stint in the CHL. He's proved himself well worthy of being chosen in the first round, 22nd overall, in the CHL Import draft this past June. Dmitri , a 6'2" 203 pound power forward, flanks the right side of Russian sensation Ivan Barbashev and the two have formed instint chemistry since arriving here not that long ago. They compliment each other well and are good enough that it dosn't matter who plays on the left side of Moncton's second line. His transition from europe to North American was a smooth one. Jaskin is a fan favourite for his "fine fashion" goal scoring. He's defiantely that last thing from a perimeter player as he goes through his opponents. He plays with an edge and is fearless when battling along the boards and digging in the corner. He's definately not affraid to do the work and says it's okay because it's rewarding when the puck ends up in the back of the net. Jaskin posseses a lethal shot with dead on accuracy which causes big problems for the opposing team's goaltenders. He can also be found using his "one timer" slap shots on the squad's first powerplay unit. Dmitri Jaskin comes as advertised and has an excellent hockey IQ, he reads plays very well. One of his previous flaws ,according to many hockey people, was his skating and foot speed. This was partcially due to a knee injury which he sustained a year prior. That has completely changed. If anything, skating is now one of his fortes and that is probably to do with exhausting excerise routine and dedication to obtaining his dream of playing in the NHL. Dmitri Jaskin is now tied for first in team scoring with overage star forward and fourth year veteran, Alex Saulnier. He currently has 15 goals and 12 assists for 27 points in only 20 contests. His pace is seemingly picking up as time goes on and he is improving everyday. I look forward to following his progress and know he'll be in the NHL in the very near future.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=dmitri...6&tx=96&ty=106

Thaks for the info. We don't get to reallly watch our JR prospects and it is good to hear that after a horrid year last year, he is really settling in.

stlweir 11-10-2012 08:39 AM

Jaskin is proving himself to be a genuine prospect. Power forwards don't come along very often. This Blues organization has done a great job of building through the draft.

MattyMo35 11-10-2012 11:46 AM

I had my doubts following last year, but I'm glad to see him really picking it up. Hopefully he becomes a solid power forward in the NHL. Never have too many :D

bleedblue1223 11-10-2012 12:41 PM

Thanks for the info. Great to know that his skating is better, and it sounds like he fits our style perfectly. Seems like another example of why I have complete faith in our scouts.

CarvinSigX 11-10-2012 05:07 PM

He really has that Jagr like ability to shield the puck. Not quite sure if it'll translate though.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 11-10-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarvinSigX (Post 55672261)
He really has that Jagr like ability to shield the puck. Not quite sure if it'll translate though.

I've seen alot of players come and through the QMJHL and most don't make it to the NHL but this kid has a real good chance. His overall combination of skills and size is rare and you can tell that he's a special player after watching one of his games.

h22prelude93 11-10-2012 06:26 PM

Great info, thanks again. I was wondering is there anywhere online where they show highlights of Wildcat games? I noticed they have a channel on YT, but unfortunately there's only a couple videos posted.

Oberyn 11-10-2012 06:34 PM

Jaskin already has 2 goals in the first period of tonight's game. Hope he can finish the hatty.

stlweir 11-10-2012 08:45 PM

2 goals, 2 assists = stud

bleedblue1223 11-10-2012 09:03 PM

And we all thought he was a dud lol.

TheKingSlayer 11-11-2012 12:50 AM

I was at the game tonight. Kid is obviously Moncton's best player. I still his skating can use some work as he does look awkward out there, but it is by no means a hindrance. He did not lose many puck battles, but could also stand to be a tad more physical given he is bigger than everyone out there. Thing that stood out the most to me though was that his passing game is just as good as his scoring game. Every pass was tape to tape, you can really tell that he has a very high hockey IQ. Big fan of his.

MattyMo35 11-11-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer (Post 55682107)
I was at the game tonight. Kid is obviously Moncton's best player. I still his skating can use some work as he does look awkward out there, but it is by no means a hindrance. He did not lose many puck battles, but could also stand to be a tad more physical given he is bigger than everyone out there. Thing that stood out the most to me though was that his passing game is just as good as his scoring game. Every pass was tape to tape, you can really tell that he has a very high hockey IQ. Big fan of his.

Thank you for the objective evaluation. It's easy to get caught up in the stats without really seeing him play. Skating is an issue that can be fixed rather easily. Hitting game might take a little more work, but from most reports he loves the game and works hard so I'm sure he can improve.

Stealth JD 11-11-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 55677441)
And we all thought he was a dud lol.

I didn't see too many people who thought that. He was simply buried on a men's team and wasn't getting a whole lot of opportunity. When he was playing against his peers in the WJC you could tell he was very talented. I liked the pick when it was made and still think he's an exciting prospect. The biggest issue I see with him making the Blues someday is that he's a RW...and with Oshie, Stewart & Tarasenko holding down that position, he's going to have to displace a legitimate NHL'er to get his shot here in town.

TheKingSlayer 11-11-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth JD (Post 55687253)
I didn't see too many people who thought that. He was simply buried on a men's team and wasn't getting a whole lot of opportunity. When he was playing against his peers in the WJC you could tell he was very talented. I liked the pick when it was made and still think he's an exciting prospect. The biggest issue I see with him making the Blues someday is that he's a RW...and with Oshie, Stewart & Tarasenko holding down that position, he's going to have to displace a legitimate NHL'er to get his shot here in town.

Jaskin scored his first goal playing RW, his second goal playing LW (and it was the nicer of the two goals - five-hole snipe). He can play both wings just fine.

kimzey59 11-11-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKingSlayer (Post 55688299)
Jaskin scored his first goal playing RW, his second goal playing LW (and it was the nicer of the two goals - five-hole snipe). He can play both wings just fine.

He played a fair bit of time at center for Slavia Praha as well.

If he's good enough, we'll find a way to work him into the lineup.

stlweir 11-11-2012 03:29 PM

It is a must for an organization like the Blues to build through the draft. To have Rattie and Jaskin following Tarasenko amd Schwartz is sweet. If the Blues could just find a center.

Lifetimebluesfan 11-11-2012 06:01 PM

Jaskin and Stewart on the same line? Yikes

Prussian_Blue 11-11-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlweir (Post 55693903)
It is a must for an organization like the Blues to build through the draft. To have Rattie and Jaskin following Tarasenko amd Schwartz is sweet. If the Blues could just find a center.

I have a feeling that the Blues will be zeroing in on centers in this draft. There are a bunch of them available in 2013; my current favorites are Brynas' Elias Lindholm and Hudson fasching of the USNTDP. I don't think the Blues will get a shot at either Nathan McKinnon, Sean Monahan or Curtis Lazar unless they can luck into a top five pick in a lottery.

Lifetimebluesfan 11-11-2012 08:10 PM

This is probably a dumb question, but is there a chance the blues let him play a couple games with the big club next year? Could he play the full season..?

Schwartz Backes Oshie
Perron Berglund Tarasenko
Jaskin Steen Stewart
Sobotka Nichol Reaves

Robb_K 11-11-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lifetimebluesfan (Post 55702477)
This is probably a dumb question, but is there a chance the blues let him play a couple games with the big club next year? Could he play the full season..?

Schwartz Backes Oshie
Perron Berglund Tarasenko
Jaskin Steen Stewart
Sobotka Nichol Reaves

I don't think there is ANY chance that Jaskin will be playing a full season with The Blues next season.

frostyflo 11-12-2012 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb_K (Post 55705659)
I don't think there is ANY chance that Jaskin will be playing a full season with The Blues next season.

Nah, he talked about a couple of games, not about a whole season.

But I also think its not very likely since Dags isnt in that list, No one knows If Amac will be back and if we find a center and Steen can go back to wing...

Too many ifs, too much depth...yet

Alklha 11-12-2012 11:55 AM

Forget about any chance of Jaškin playing an entire NHL season in 13/14, we'll still have too much depth and we are too patient for that. It isn't out of the question that he would make his debut next season if his progress was to continue, but we have so much depth that might might still be here that it is impossible to say.

Although, we always seem to get more than our fair share of injuries, so Rattie or Jaškin seeing some time is probably a safe bet no matter how much depth we have.

MattyMo35 11-12-2012 12:11 PM

If a skilled guy gets injured, guys like Schwartz, Hensick, and probably Rattie would be ahead of him. If a grinder gets injured, guys like Cracknell, Peluso, and Grachev would likely have the edge. It would take a tremendous amount of injuries for him to play next season, especially considering he's a winger.

PerryTurnbullfan 11-12-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyMo35 (Post 55712541)
If a skilled guy gets injured, guys like Schwartz, Hensick, and probably Rattie would be ahead of him. If a grinder gets injured, guys like Cracknell, Peluso, and Grachev would likely have the edge. It would take a tremendous amount of injuries for him to play next season, especially considering he's a winger.

If Jaskin goes into Peoria and outplays Rattie, Hensick, and Schwartz, then he could leapfrog them just as Joe Kelly leapfrogged all the other Cardinals starters this year. Schwartz has done little to nothing to justify a call up from Peoria. I would take Hensick over him in a heartbeat at this point or pull Rattie or Jaskin out of juniors before I would recall Schwartz.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.