HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Was-Nas (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1281815)

1ntrovert* 11-10-2012 06:22 PM

Was-Nas

Ovie and Mike Green for Shea Weber and Paul Gaustad.

thoughts?

Vankiller Whale 11-10-2012 06:28 PM

It will be a huge no from Washington, and a polite no from Nashville.

Clyde Donovan 11-10-2012 06:31 PM

Weber can't be traded until next year

Viqsi 11-10-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ntrovert (Post 55673741)
thoughts?

:biglaugh:

Strictly from a Nashville perspective, Weber ain't going nowhere for nothing, period. Folks by and large don't buy the fantasy of "but he wants out right now!"

I'm not as informed on the Washington perspective, but I imagine they take one look at that overpay attempt and say "hell ****ing no".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde Donovan (Post 55673933)
Weber can't be traded until next year

...and won't be traded for many more years yet, if ever.

PierreMcGuire* 11-10-2012 07:51 PM

Think it's worse for Washington.

MastuhNinks 11-10-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 55673981)
:biglaugh:

Strictly from a Nashville perspective, Weber ain't going nowhere for nothing, period. Folks by and large don't buy the fantasy of "but he wants out right now!"

Really? I think Weber is the best defensemen in the league who should have 2 Norrises by now, but I think Nashville would have to think long and hard before saying no to this.

Violent By Design 11-10-2012 08:22 PM

Aside from Washington hanging up on this, you really think putting Ovi and Green on one of the most defensive teams in the world is a good idea?

fedfed 11-10-2012 08:31 PM

Just assuming the value is there (and it is not), what's the point for the Caps?
We have Laich, why do we need Gaustad?
We have two good right D in Green and Carlson, that's an area you don't want to touch if you're the Caps. Ain't broke.
We, however, don't have enough good top-6 wingers. If there's a player I'd be interested in from NSH, it's Hornqvist.

PierreMcGuire* 11-10-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 55676801)
Just assuming the value is there (and it is not), what's the point for the Caps?
We have Laich, why do we need Gaustad?
We have two good right D in Green and Carlson, that's an area you don't want to touch if you're the Caps. Ain't broke.
We, however, don't have enough good top-6 wingers. If there's a player I'd be interested in from NSH, it's Hornqvist.

Hornqvist for Ovechkin done. :sarcasm:

fedfed 11-10-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 23 17 23 (Post 55676893)
Hornqvist for Ovechkin done. :sarcasm:

Not for a winger:sarcasm: Want... Jeff Schultz? lol

Viqsi 11-10-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastuhNinks (Post 55676103)
Really? I think Weber is the best defensemen in the league who should have 2 Norrises by now, but I think Nashville would have to think long and hard before saying no to this.

Look at Detroit's blueline right now post-Lidstrom. Nashville would envy it if Weber vanished.

Right now Nashville's defensive depth has been pretty badly shaken. If for some reason Josi doesn't do well (either due to soph slump or injury or both), then the blueline's in pretty ugly shape. Losing Weber would turn it into a bona-fide catastrophe as there are no other legit top-pairing blueliners there at the moment. (Josi seems likely to become one, and looked a lot like one last year, but, again, we'll see.)

Mike Green's skillset has some compatibility issues with Preds hockey. He could work out there just fine... but not as the leader of that blueline. If Suter hadn't left, that's a pairing that could have worked, but Suter nowadays is busy complaining about taking the money and running not coming with a guarantee. ;)

And the funny thing is that Nashville doesn't actually need a major offensive star. They were one of the top goal-scoring teams in the League last year without one. Some teams score by committee; Nashville scores by massive bureaucracy. Or something. :D

Bottom line, while adding a major elite All-Star forward would be nice, it's not worth effectively crippling the blueline for the foreseeable future.

...and then of course there's the whole "Washington wouldn't do it in a million billion years" factor. :)

Izzy 11-10-2012 08:57 PM

Big no from both, but more so from Washington.

Spitsfan67* 11-10-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ntrovert (Post 55673741)
Ovie and Mike Green for Shea Weber and Paul Gaustad.

thoughts?

Thoughts? My thoughts are your treating Ovie like a spare part, he had a bad last season but he's still one of the best players in the game, can easily put up over 100 points a season and 50+ goals a season and watch out because he can hit you like a train... Likes he's Ovechkin for god sakes not Joe blow, and Green well he's one of the best offensive defenseman in this league, he's had concussion problems over the past year but he's still an elite D man and people always question his defensive play but it's solid...Not taking any thing away from weber He's one of the best all around defenseman in the game today, but worth Green AND Ovie that's just nuts...not remotely close, Washington wouldnt even listen unless Nashville added a couple first rounders and Ellis/Blum.

fedfed 11-11-2012 04:44 AM

Can we talk about Hornqvist while both fanbases are here?

nmbr_24 11-11-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastuhNinks (Post 55676103)

I agree, Weber should have at least one Norris trophy and Ovechkin hasn't been the same player lately. If Ovie was scoring 60 goals a year then OK, Washington would say no, but this isn't the same player for the last couple of years so I would probably just want to keep Weber and build around him.

Even with Ovie having less spectacular years lately I would still have to think long and hard about what he would do on my team. It's not an easy no, but I would turn it down and stick with Weber at this point and I would probably always wonder "What if", but Weber is still the guy I would stick with at this point.

hlaverty06 11-11-2012 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 55684015)
Can we talk about Hornqvist while both fanbases are here?

Now stop me if I'm wrong, I'm under the impression he is like David Clarkson in the sense he scores a ton of flukey goals, right?

BigFatCat999 11-11-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hlaverty06 (Post 55684309)
Now stop me if I'm wrong, I'm under the impression he is like David Clarkson in the sense he scores a ton of flukey goals, right?

Yeah just like Holmstrom in Detroit.

Hornqvist will park around the net using his quick wrists to feed rebounds into the back of the net. How is that Flukey? That sounds like hard work to me.

glenbuis 11-11-2012 10:39 AM

let meget this straight hellno from washington? Ovechkin was the guy who averaged 3minutes of playoff icetime under hunter and green who is one dimensional for a beast who is as mean as hell to play against ie: zetterberg headslam maybe ovie regains some touch but i know that in the playoffs when the whistle gets put away ill take the beast anyday

fedfed 11-11-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenbuis (Post 55686195)
let meget this straight hellno from washington? Ovechkin was the guy who averaged 3minutes of playoff icetime under hunter and green who is one dimensional for a beast who is as mean as hell to play against ie: zetterberg headslam maybe ovie regains some touch but i know that in the playoffs when the whistle gets put away ill take the beast anyday

Have you ever seen Ovi's playoff stats? You will be surprised. Now you'll start talking about overall team playoff performance and what do we see... Nashville has never gone deeper in the playoffs than the Caps!

Shawnathon 11-11-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 (Post 55679267)
Thoughts? My thoughts are your treating Ovie like a spare part, he had a bad last season but he's still one of the best players in the game, can easily put up over 100 points a season and 50+ goals a season and watch out because he can hit you like a train... Likes he's Ovechkin for god sakes not Joe blow, and Green well he's one of the best offensive defenseman in this league, he's had concussion problems over the past year but he's still an elite D man and people always question his defensive play but it's solid...Not taking any thing away from weber He's one of the best all around defenseman in the game today, but worth Green AND Ovie that's just nuts...not remotely close, Washington wouldnt even listen unless Nashville added a couple first rounders and Ellis/Blum.

He has been off two years in a row. If his production remains the same as it has the last two years, Ovechkin is WAY overpaid.

avsfansince95 11-11-2012 01:03 PM

yeah nashville needs more russian stars who think they are larger then life and are always thinking about playing in the khl...

Carlzner 11-11-2012 01:06 PM

lol what the ****

DuckEatinShark 11-11-2012 01:54 PM

Nashville already had problems trying to fit Weber into the cap. There's no way a team with an internal cap can fit OV.

Besides, if OV can't handle playing in a defensive system under Boudreau/Hunter, I doubt he'd fit in with Trotz's. Nashville requires their forwards to be sound defensively.

Soundgarden 11-11-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark (Post 55690427)
Nashville already had problems trying to fit Weber into the cap. There's no way a team with an internal cap can fit OV.

Besides, if OV can't handle playing in a defensive system under Boudreau/Hunter, I doubt he'd fit in with Trotz's. Nashville requires their forwards to be sound defensively.

Except we don't have an internal cap anymore, if he'd had listened we would have matched Minnesota's offer for Suter.

But your other point is what would worry me about this deal, if Ovie is stuck in the 30-35 goal range then you can just knock off another five goals because of Trotz.

fedfed 11-11-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 55691493)
Except we don't have an internal cap anymore, if he'd had listened we would have matched Minnesota's offer for Suter.

But your other point is what would worry me about this deal, if Ovie is stuck in the 30-35 goal range then you can just knock off another five goals because of Trotz.

Ovi had 38 last year, I'd expect 40-45 next year because I think Oates system will be better suited for the gifted players.