HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   KHL teams want to keep Ovechkin, Kovalchuk rather than return 'em to NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1281827)

LadyStanley 11-10-2012 06:52 PM

KHL teams want to keep Ovechkin, Kovalchuk rather than return 'em to NHL?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...echkin-in-khl/

Quote:

According to reports from Russia’s R-Sport, team president Arkady Rotenberg is prepared to try and retain Ovechkin’s services once the work stoppage is settled.

“Is there the desire to retain Alexander Ovechkin at Dynamo after the NHL lockout? Dynamo has such thoughts,” Rotenberg explained. “I heard that there are those thoughts too at the Army Sports Club in St. Petersburg.

“So we are looking in that direction, we’ll see whether it’ll work out.”

The “Army Sports Club” line is in reference to Ilya Kovalchuk, currently plying his trade with SKA St. Petersburg.

It seems SKA is equally interested in retaining Kolvalchuk’s services — since joining, the Devils sniper has racked up 26 points in 16 games.
Article also includes details on NHL team options of cancelling contract, suspending player and/or sue for breach of contract should player not return after end of labor stoppage.

Heaton 11-10-2012 06:58 PM

A great way for these players to show if they really care about the fans and their teams. I suspect they don't.

Q Continuum 11-10-2012 07:00 PM

Guess they've never heard of contracts. I hope the teams sue them for everything if they try it.

Czech Your Math 11-10-2012 07:08 PM

As far as I'm concerned, when you cancel a whole season, and then may do so 8 years later... when you stop paying a player, why can't he sign another contract? Don't attorneys often require retainer? That's just for the possibility that you might need their services. Owners locked them out, owners stopped paying them, owners broke the contract. I don't see why the player should be penalized, except that he must honor the contract if he returns to the NHL (at which time the team should have the option as to whether to honor the remaining contract also).

bluesfan94 11-10-2012 07:11 PM

A labor stoppage is not breach of contract.

Also, for a suit, couldn't the owners ask for the sum of the remaining contract plus any loss of revenue they think would come from losing the player? Good luck paying that

Prairie Habs 11-10-2012 07:14 PM

There is no way they would let themselves get left off the next Olympic team with the next Olympics being in Russia.

Fire Sather 11-10-2012 07:15 PM

Good riddance on Ovechkin.

Isn't Alexander Ovechkin's heel turn amazing?

I respect and root for Sidney Crosby more now than I do OV.. Sid's face turn was an easy one after all the concussion issues.

Amazing though, who woulda thought, back in 2006 or so.

albator71 11-10-2012 07:16 PM

I have no problem with them staying Russia, Russian players don't care about the NHL and North American fans anyway. NHL clubs shouldn't draft Russian players from now on.

1ntrovert* 11-10-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albator71 (Post 55674963)
I have no problem with them staying Russia, Russian players don't care about the NHL and North American fans anyway. NHL clubs shouldn't draft Russian players from now on.

What a stupid sterotype. What about Datty? And other Russians who are loyal! The NHL brought this upon themselves. Two lockouts in less then a decade. If they want to stay in Russia I can see why and I would never hold it against them.

Canadian and various other players care about the fans? I guess that is the reason we are playing games right now. That statement has to be the most uneducated one I have ever read on this board

BonkTastic 11-10-2012 07:35 PM

I say let 'em go. If guys don't want to play in the NHL, that's entirely up to them. I'm not going to lose sleep because a handful of players want to stay home to earn a bigger paycheque.

You don't want to play in the NHL? Just go. Don't whine and moan about it, don't drag it out in the press: just go. Make a decision, and stand by it. Here or there.

BLONG7 11-10-2012 07:39 PM

Who cares...stay over there guys...the fans in these cities will still cheer for their TEAMS...

MadDevil 11-10-2012 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albator71 (Post 55674963)

Apparently neither do the North American players who are playing elsewhere, or not at all.

stug* 11-10-2012 07:44 PM

Well i guess this is what the NHL wants to. To lose alot of good players when they run the league in such a ****** way.

The NHL has itself to blame if players dont want to play here anymore.

PensFanSince1989 11-10-2012 07:46 PM

Hands off Malkin Magnitogorsk

Philly85 11-10-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7 (Post 55675405)
Who cares...stay over there guys...the fans in these cities will still cheer for their TEAMS...

true. but it taints, or at least leaves some sort of a stain on the league, with people knowing and liking to claim that the NHL is clearly the best league in the world, and yet they can neither acquire or retain some of their best players.

Prairie Habs 11-10-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonkTastic (Post 55675325)
I say let 'em go. If guys don't want to play in the NHL, that's entirely up to them. I'm not going to lose sleep because a handful of players want to stay home to earn a bigger paycheque.

You don't want to play in the NHL? Just go. Don't whine and moan about it, don't drag it out in the press: just go. Make a decision, and stand by it. Here or there.

So if Karlsson said he wasn't coming back tomorrow you wouldn't care? Or is it just when it is other teams best players?

cws 11-10-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Sather (Post 55674953)
Good riddance on Ovechkin.

Isn't Alexander Ovechkin's heel turn amazing?

I respect and root for Sidney Crosby more now than I do OV.. Sid's face turn was an easy one after all the concussion issues.

Amazing though, who woulda thought, back in 2006 or so.

Hope you're not thinking about the popularity/viability of the league in terms of two players. Or even a handful of players.

Third line guys who can grind and put up a few points along the way, the 4th/5th defenseman who eat up minutes and never hurt the team, the surprising rookies, the 4th liners who go all out for the few minutes they get a game, the fringe top 6 forward who steps up and produces when there is an injury.
That's the NHL to me.

The big names, the big point producers get the press. They do a lot to bring in the money. But the effort guys, the ones who don't get the adoration; they make the league complete. They make it the best sport in the world (to me at least).

fedfed 11-10-2012 08:39 PM

Team president: "We have thoughts of keeping him".
HFB fans: "That player doesn't want to come back!"
Ridiculous. They'll all return, except for maybe lesser players, like S.Kostitsyn or Babchuk.

octopi 11-10-2012 08:43 PM

Yeah, well KHL teams want really good players? that's surprising.

I bet a good deal of NHL teams would be interested in some good players they can't have because they are the property of other teams

I don't think that would work out with the Olympics, either. Let us see what happens.

PierreMcGuire* 11-10-2012 08:44 PM

I would want Ovechkin and Kovalchuk on my team as well.

Ziggy Stardust 11-10-2012 08:48 PM

I don't think the KHL has to worry about returning any of the NHL players that signed over there any time soon.

RANDOMH3RO 11-10-2012 08:53 PM

I would be extremely disappointed if the NHL started back up and Kovalchuk wasn't there, but I wouldn't really blame him.

rynryn 11-10-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANDOMH3RO (Post 55677213)
I would be extremely disappointed if the NHL started back up and Kovalchuk wasn't there, but I wouldn't really blame him.

i'm completely owner's side but i wouldn't blame the players either. this whole thing has provided the best excuse they could have asked for if they've been longing for the motherland.

Fire Sather 11-10-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cws (Post 55676901)
Hope you're not thinking about the popularity/viability of the league in terms of two players. Or even a handful of players.

Third line guys who can grind and put up a few points along the way, the 4th/5th defenseman who eat up minutes and never hurt the team, the surprising rookies, the 4th liners who go all out for the few minutes they get a game, the fringe top 6 forward who steps up and produces when there is an injury.
That's the NHL to me.

The big names, the big point producers get the press. They do a lot to bring in the money. But the effort guys, the ones who don't get the adoration; they make the league complete. They make it the best sport in the world (to me at least).

I never said anything like that. Just simply comparing Ovechkin and Crosby now to 6 years ago.

NHL will not be effected by Ovechkin leaving, if he does. But hes stuck in a contract, so no matter what he says, hes coming back

um 11-10-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heaton (Post 55674587)
A great way for these players to show if they really care about the fans and their teams. I suspect they don't.

what about the fans in russia? either way some fans are going to lose them