HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Boston Sports best by number 1-20 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1282163)

TheSeguinEra2010* 11-11-2012 09:36 PM

Boston Sports best by number 1-20
 
SO I have been doing a lot of research and been trying to pick the best Boston athlete to wear each numberical number. Im only have way throuh but tell me what u think.

00 Robert Parish
0 Eric Montross
1 Bobby Doerr
2 Eddie Shore
3 Jimmie Foxx
4 Bobby Orr
5 Dit Clapper
6 Bill Russell
7 Phil Esposito
8 Carl Yastrzemski (sorry Cam)
9 Ted Williams
10 JoJo White
11 Drew Bledsoe
12 Tom Brady
13 John Valentin
14 Bob Cousy
15 Milt Schmidt
16 Rick Middleton
17 John Havlicek
18 Dave Cowens
19 Don Nelson
20 Gino Cappelletti

BubbaBoot 11-11-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 (Post 55704633)
SO I have been doing a lot of research and been trying to pick the best Boston athlete to wear each numberical number. Im only have way throuh but tell me what u think.

00 Robert Parish
0 Eric Montross
1 Bobby Doerr
2 Eddie Shore
3 Jimmie Foxx
4 Bobby Orr
5 Dit Clapper
6 Bill Russell
7 Phil Esposito
8 Carl Yastrzemski (sorry Cam)
9 Ted Williams
10 JoJo White
11 Drew Bledsoe
12 Tom Brady
13 John Valentin
14 Bob Cousy
15 Milt Schmidt
16 Rick Middleton
17 John Havlicek
18 Dave Cowens
19 Don Nelson
20 Gino Cappelletti

I'd go with Frankie Brimsek at #1.

TheSeguinEra2010* 11-12-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaBoot (Post 55706791)
I'd go with Frankie Brimsek at #1.

Bobby Doerr was one of the most underated players in Red Sox history. Hall of fame second baseman...Brimsek was good but I think Doerr has the edge here

BudMovin* 11-12-2012 12:52 AM

Can't believe there isn't someone better than John Valentin that wore 13. Good list though.

TheSeguinEra2010* 11-12-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BudMovin (Post 55707483)
Can't believe there isn't someone better than John Valentin that wore 13. Good list though.

I thought the same thing. Out of all the great athletes to play in Boston no one spectacular sticks out. I was considering Ken Linseman a little bit.

08SeaBass08 11-12-2012 08:19 AM

Linseman >/= Valentin

Alicat 11-12-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 (Post 55704633)
SO I have been doing a lot of research and been trying to pick the best Boston athlete to wear each numberical number. Im only have way throuh but tell me what u think.

00 Robert Parish
0 Eric Montross
1 Bobby Doerr
2 Eddie Shore
3 Jimmie Foxx
4 Bobby Orr
5 Dit Clapper
6 Bill Russell
7 Phil Esposito
8 Carl Yastrzemski (sorry Cam)
9 Ted Williams
10 JoJo White
11 Drew Bledsoe
12 Tom Brady
13 John Valentin
14 Bob Cousy
15 Milt Schmidt
16 Rick Middleton
17 John Havlicek
18 Dave Cowens
19 Don Nelson
20 Gino Cappelletti

You can't be serious. He was terrible overall. He played 2 ok seasons for the Celtics before they shipped him to Dallas. One of the biggest busts for the Celtics. Walter McCarty is a far better choice.

18's a tossup. You could go old school and put Jim Loscatoff ahead of Cowens there.

DKH 11-12-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 (Post 55704633)
SO I have been doing a lot of research and been trying to pick the best Boston athlete to wear each numberical number. Im only have way throuh but tell me what u think.

00 Robert Parish
0 Eric Montross
1 Bobby Doerr
2 Eddie Shore
3 Jimmie Foxx
4 Bobby Orr
5 Dit Clapper
6 Bill Russell
7 Phil Esposito
8 Carl Yastrzemski (sorry Cam)
9 Ted Williams
10 JoJo White
11 Drew Bledsoe
12 Tom Brady
13 John Valentin
14 Bob Cousy
15 Milt Schmidt
16 Rick Middleton
17 John Havlicek
18 Dave Cowens
19 Don Nelson
20 Gino Cappelletti

saw Don Nelson play and his number retired is a joke- he'd be Chris Kelly, Rich Peverley, maybe Sieds- but I'd give DS the edge....Fred Lynn gets this in my book easy, and even Joe Thornton probably over him, but it don't matter, because Tyler Seguin is trending to this spot. Lynn was the Joe Thornton of his era- less durable but more clutch but a generational talent

Doerr gets one- easy

Valentin vs the Rat is a tough one. Valentin is the only player in history to hit for a cylce, hit three homers in a game, and record an unassisted triple play (obviously not in same game)....The Rat was on the beginning of the back 9 when we got him, even if the 10th or 11th hole.

Dit Clapper has the bling and the HOF but Nomah was so on the way to greatness but Dit holds on

btw I see JoJo all the time or did, he has had some tough going health wise but man is he a nice guy- what a peach

Alicat 11-12-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKH (Post 55709567)
saw Don Nelson play and his number retired is a joke- he'd be Chris Kelly, Rich Peverley, maybe Sieds- but I'd give DS the edge....Fred Lynn gets this in my book easy, and even Joe Thornton probably over him, but it don't matter, because Tyler Seguin is trending to this spot. Lynn was the Joe Thornton of his era- less durable but more clutch but a generational talent

Doerr gets one- easy

Valentin vs the Rat is a tough one. Valentin is the only player in history to hit for a cylce, hit three homers in a game, and record an unassisted triple play (obviously not in same game)....The Rat was on the beginning of the back 9 when we got him, even if the 10th or 11th hole.

Dit Clapper has the bling and the HOF but Nomah was so on the way to greatness but Dit holds on

btw I see JoJo all the time or did, he has had some tough going health wise but man is he a nice guy- what a peach

Disagree then again I can only go off of what my dad and historians say since he was before my time but his stats speak for themselves. He was a great coach with sub par players.

bp13 11-12-2012 09:40 AM

Give Bourque 7

DKH 11-12-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alycat (Post 55710173)
Disagree then again I can only go off of what my dad and historians say since he was before my time but his stats speak for themselves. He was a great coach with sub par players.

listen to your father- I just checked and was surprised Nelly was with Boston 10 years- wow, I should known better because I started going to games in early 70's and a bunch in 1976 and he was still on the team. Also, I knew he played in the mid to late 60's so duh, he had to have played 10 years and have a handful of bling.

I will switch to Nelly. Shame though on Lynn, he had a chance to be great and get in the HOF. Weird thing is I remember the stories where his wife Deddee wanted to go back to the West Coast and why he left. Now they are long since divorced and he married a girl I think from Taunton and lives here year round.

btw I really liked your dad, guy knows a lot about sports. hope whenever the lockout ends you bring him to a game or two

finchster 11-12-2012 12:09 PM

Brimsek is still top two of Americans to ever play in the NHL, I would only put Chelios above him.

BNHL 11-12-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKH (Post 55711529)
listen to your father- I just checked and was surprised Nelly was with Boston 10 years- wow, I should known better because I started going to games in early 70's and a bunch in 1976 and he was still on the team. Also, I knew he played in the mid to late 60's so duh, he had to have played 10 years and have a handful of bling.

I will switch to Nelly. Shame though on Lynn, he had a chance to be great and get in the HOF. Weird thing is I remember the stories where his wife Deddee wanted to go back to the West Coast and why he left. Now they are long since divorced and he married a girl I think from Taunton and lives here year round.

btw I really liked your dad, guy knows a lot about sports. hope whenever the lockout ends you bring him to a game or two

I don't think you're wrong on Nelson at all and Lynn may have been a HOFer if he had stayed in Fenway-or Detroit!.

smithformeragent 11-12-2012 06:22 PM

Dreeeeeeew!

:)

BubbaBoot 11-12-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 (Post 55707191)
Bobby Doerr was one of the most underated players in Red Sox history. Hall of fame second baseman...Brimsek was good but I think Doerr has the edge here

Brimsek is a HoF player with 2 Stanley Cups. Twice led the NHL in wins, GAA, SO. 3 times he was 2nd in SO. He won the Calder and twice won the Vezina. He played for the Bruins for 9 yrs and was a 1st team all-star 2 times and a 2nd all-star 6 times.

62 years after he retired, he's still ranked 4th in both games played and wins for an American GK.

Doerr is certainly underrated but Brimsek is one of the top GK's to play the game, certainly of his era, definitely in consideration for the best ever American GK.

Looch 11-12-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alycat (Post 55709447)
You can't be serious. He was terrible overall. He played 2 ok seasons for the Celtics before they shipped him to Dallas. One of the biggest busts for the Celtics. Walter McCarty is a far better choice.

18's a tossup. You could go old school and put Jim Loscatoff ahead of Cowens there.

Yeah I'd definitely put Waltah above Montross...and I'm a big Hells fan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKH (Post 55709567)
saw Don Nelson play and his number retired is a joke- he'd be Chris Kelly, Rich Peverley, maybe Sieds- but I'd give DS the edge....Fred Lynn gets this in my book easy, and even Joe Thornton probably over him, but it don't matter, because Tyler Seguin is trending to this spot. Lynn was the Joe Thornton of his era- less durable but more clutch but a generational talent

Doerr gets one- easy

Valentin vs the Rat is a tough one. Valentin is the only player in history to hit for a cylce, hit three homers in a game, and record an unassisted triple play (obviously not in same game)....The Rat was on the beginning of the back 9 when we got him, even if the 10th or 11th hole.

Dit Clapper has the bling and the HOF but Nomah was so on the way to greatness but Dit holds on

btw I see JoJo all the time or did, he has had some tough going health wise but man is he a nice guy- what a peach

Sadly, I was a huge Nomar fan. Given how high he was, some would still argue he gets the 5 spot.

I know it won't be popular here with all the NBA haters, but I give Garnett my 5 spot. He's a shoe in HOF'er. The C's never would have won it with out him. Love him or hate him, he's still an integral part of the team. I love the guy's intensity night in and night out.



I was never a Crawford fan. But if he wasn't traded last year, he easily would have beat out Valentine...and I was a big Valentine fan.


My 1-20:

00 Robert Parish
0 Walter McCarty
1 Bobby Doerr
2 Eddie Shore
3 Jimmie Foxx
4 Bobby Orr
5 Kevin Garnett
6 Bill Russell
7 Phil Esposito
8 Carl Yastrzemski (Cam extremely close 2nd)
9 Ted Williams
10 JoJo White
11 Drew Bledsoe
12 Tom Brady
13 John Valentin
14 Bob Cousy
15 Milt Schmidt
16 Rick Middleton
17 John Havlicek
18 Dave Cowens
19 Don Nelson (Beckett extremely close 2nd. Seguin will ultimately own 19 though)
20 Gino Cappelletti

finchster 11-12-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaBoot (Post 55726015)
definitely in consideration for the best ever American GK.

Brimsek IS the best American goaltender, EVER. And I am sorry but it isn't close. He is possibly a top 10 goaltender of all time.

Alicat 11-12-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Looch (Post 55727555)
Yeah I'd definitely put Waltah above Montross...and I'm a big Hells fan.



Sadly, I was a huge Nomar fan. Given how high he was, some would still argue he gets the 5 spot.

I know it won't be popular here with all the NBA haters, but I give Garnett my 5 spot. He's a shoe in HOF'er. The C's never would have won it with out him. Love him or hate him, he's still an integral part of the team. I love the guy's intensity night in and night out.



I was never a Crawford fan. But if he wasn't traded last year, he easily would have beat out Valentine...and I was a big Valentine fan.


My 1-20:

00 Robert Parish
0 Walter McCarty
1 Bobby Doerr
2 Eddie Shore
3 Jimmie Foxx
4 Bobby Orr
5 Kevin Garnett
6 Bill Russell
7 Phil Esposito
8 Carl Yastrzemski (Cam extremely close 2nd)
9 Ted Williams
10 JoJo White
11 Drew Bledsoe
12 Tom Brady
13 John Valentin
14 Bob Cousy
15 Milt Schmidt
16 Rick Middleton
17 John Havlicek
18 Dave Cowens
19 Don Nelson (Beckett extremely close 2nd)
20 Gino Cappelletti

Montross was a nightmare his second season. Injuries galore.

I love KG but 5 goes to Nomar.

Looch 11-12-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alycat (Post 55728103)
Montross was a nightmare his second season. Injuries galore.

I love KG but 5 goes to Nomar.


Definitely a solid selection. The way Nomar went out, it left many with a slightly bad taste that he was a selfish player. I wasn't completely sold that he was. But the fact that he played a few more years and fizzled out, and KG is going to retire a C and go into the Hall as one, seals it for me.

Alicat 11-13-2012 10:27 AM

I love Milt but you have to split it with Tommy Heinsohn. Absolute legend.

Honorable mention for #2. Arnold "Red" Auerbach.

BubbaBoot 11-13-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finchster (Post 55727833)
Brimsek IS the best American goaltender, EVER. And I am sorry but it isn't close. He is possibly a top 10 goaltender of all time.

Which puts Bobby Doerr's excellent career in perspective. Nothing against him or his worth to the Sox and the game of baseball itself, but Brimsek is clearly the man on top.

TheReal13Linseman 11-13-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 (Post 55707609)
I thought the same thing. Out of all the great athletes to play in Boston no one spectacular sticks out. I was considering Ken Linseman a little bit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08SeaBass08 (Post 55709293)
Linseman >/= Valentin

No brainer there. 13 goes to Linseman and it's not really that close.

TheSeguinEra2010* 11-13-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman (Post 55740479)
No brainer there. 13 goes to Linseman and it's not really that close.

I as the maker of the list respectfully disagree

TheSeguinEra2010* 11-13-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaBoot (Post 55735905)
Which puts Bobby Doerr's excellent career in perspective. Nothing against him or his worth to the Sox and the game of baseball itself, but Brimsek is clearly the man on top.

I like Brimsek but I feel that Doerr gets #1 here

Looch 11-13-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaBoot (Post 55735905)
Which puts Bobby Doerr's excellent career in perspective. Nothing against him or his worth to the Sox and the game of baseball itself, but Brimsek is clearly the man on top.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman (Post 55740479)
No brainer there. 13 goes to Linseman and it's not really that close.


One thing is for sure, neither is for sure or a no brainer. Never the less, it's nice to see the love for the old guys.

It's a very subjective list. Everyone is entitled to their own list/guys.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.