HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Will there be rule changes again this time around? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1282207)

ZARTONK 11-12-2012 06:03 AM

Will there be rule changes again this time around?

After the last lockout, several rules were modified to enable more goal scoring, I was wondering if there were words about another series of rule changes this time. If so, what do you think those changes could/should be?

DKQ 11-12-2012 08:53 AM

If it were up to me I would remove the puck over the glass penalty and get rid of the trapezoid. I imagine the rules they implement will be more safety regulations around contact to the head, and possibly restrictions on equipment size

M Gaz 11-12-2012 10:12 AM

I don't think they'll change anything this time around, but if I could, this is what I would change:

-no more trapezoid
-instigator rule is just a 2 minute minor (no misconduct)
-The Brian Boyle Rule (3rd man in to a one-sided altercation is just a misconduct)
-Goaltenders who willingly move outside of the crease to handle the puck are fair game

P U L L H A R D 11-12-2012 10:16 AM

-bigger nets
-smaller pads
-add rovers back into the game
-make it 4 quarters instead of 3 periods
-ban fighting
-ban hitting
-add a shot clock
-add injury time at the end of quarters
-ban composite sticks
-ban bulky shoulder/elbow pads
-make a rule about having your skates only sharp to a certain point, any sharper is dangerous
-no touch icing

did I miss anything?
Can't we just come back and play?

Pengo 11-12-2012 10:20 AM

Add a d-man to shootouts.

engy 11-12-2012 10:27 AM

Coach's challenge.
Some form of 3 on 3 OT.

M Gaz 11-12-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine (Post 55710619)
-bigger nets
-smaller pads
-add rovers back into the game
-make it 4 quarters instead of 3 periods
-ban fighting
-ban hitting
-add a shot clock
-add injury time at the end of quarters
-ban composite sticks
-ban bulky shoulder/elbow pads
-make a rule about having your skates only sharp to a certain point, any sharper is dangerous
-no touch icing

did I miss anything?
Can't we just come back and play?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...0/30061106.jpg

ZARTONK 11-12-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NashtyAttack (Post 55710591)
I don't think they'll change anything this time around, but if I could, this is what I would change:

-no more trapezoid
-instigator rule is just a 2 minute minor (no misconduct)
-The Brian Boyle Rule (3rd man in to a one-sided altercation is just a misconduct)
-Goaltenders who willingly move outside of the crease to handle the puck are fair game

im always on the fence for this one, i get the argument that if a goalie goes all the way to his blue line for example he should be willing to risk getting hit, but at the same time goalie equipment isnt really made to get hit... plus if checking goalies were allowed i cant help but think that some players will try to injure goalies.....

Stats01 11-12-2012 10:37 AM

Get rid of that stupid delay of game penalty for putting the puck over the glass, and get rid of the trapezoid.

deckercky 11-12-2012 10:40 AM

Goalies can't be fair game because they aren't protected from that kind of contact.

I don't think there'll be significant rules changes. Maybe the adjusted icing rule, but unlike last time, there's very little discussion about the state of the game during the lockout.

ZARTONK 11-12-2012 10:49 AM

i think they should get rid of the kicking motion goal rule, kicking the puck for a pass counts as an assist so i think players should be allowed to kick the puck in the net. plus it would get rid of countless goal reviews and so remove the useless breaks

No Fun Shogun 11-12-2012 10:55 AM

New penalty for goaltending. :sarcasm:

JawandaPuck 11-12-2012 11:06 AM

You want to see more goals? Only allow the puck carrier to be the first to cross his team's own blueline when going on the attack. This would hem a team in their own zone much longer. The opposing team wouldn't have to worry much about defense while in the offensive zone since the defending team will not easily be able to exit their own zone.

When the defending team is eventually able to get out of their own end, there should be some ultra-fast rushes on what will likely be only two defenders -- perhaps only one. And this rule would also likely result in several very long break-aways per game.

Qward 11-12-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn (Post 55709635)
If it were up to me I would remove the puck over the glass penalty and get rid of the trapezoid. I imagine the rules they implement will be more safety regulations around contact to the head, and possibly restrictions on equipment size

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stats01 (Post 55710903)
Get rid of that stupid delay of game penalty for putting the puck over the glass, and get rid of the trapezoid.

You guys must not have watched many games with Chris Chelios.
The rule was created because of this guy. He would shoot the puck over the ice stopping play whenever he felt his team was getting tired. Usually while on a PK.

P U L L H A R D 11-12-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NashtyAttack (Post 55710815)

:biglaugh: thats great! Just tired of the lockout/ people always wanting to change the game. If change comes, good. But they don't need to force anything.

M Gaz 11-12-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JawandaPuck (Post 55711305)
You want to see more goals? Only allow the puck carrier to be the first to cross his team's own blueline when going on the attack. This would hem a team in their own zone much longer. The opposing team wouldn't have to worry much about defense while in the offensive zone since the defending team will not easily be able to exit their own zone.

When the defending team is eventually able to get out of their own end, there should be some ultra-fast rushes on what will likely be only two defenders -- perhaps only one. And this rule would also likely result in several very long break-aways per game.

It would also result in twice as many offsides.

2Cowen 11-12-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARTONK (Post 55711077)
i think they should get rid of the kicking motion goal rule, kicking the puck for a pass counts as an assist so i think players should be allowed to kick the puck in the net. plus it would get rid of countless goal reviews and so remove the useless breaks

And increase the potential of having a player get cut from the blade of a skate?

ZARTONK 11-12-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson (Post 55711551)
And increase the potential of having a player get cut from the blade of a skate?

oh yeah hadnt thought of that.. stupid me..

Malreg 11-12-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson (Post 55711551)

It should count as long as your skate never comes off the ice. That would eliminate much of the risk.

No Fun Shogun 11-12-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malreg (Post 55711741)
It should count as long as your skate never comes off the ice. That would eliminate much of the risk.

So instead of having replays to see if there was a distinct kicking motion there would be replays to see if all of the skate came off the ice or if part remained on throughout?

No thank you.

Samzilla 11-12-2012 11:50 AM

Scoring off a skate should be black and white. Either allow it or don't (I err towards don't for safety reasons). There's too much grey area the way it is now. Even with instant replays how many fans are happy the correct call was made? TO still shows no consistency in what they deem a kicking motion. It's pathetic. It seems to me the process should just be simplified. Off a skate=no goal.

ZARTONK 11-12-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samzilla (Post 55712085)
Scoring off a skate should be black and white. Either allow it or don't (I err towards don't for safety reasons). There's too much grey area the way it is now. Even with instant replays how many fans are happy the correct call was made? TO still shows no consistency in what they deem a kicking motion. It's pathetic. It seems to me the process should just be simplified. Off a skate=no goal.

im good with that, getting rid of as many gray areas as possible is a good thing

deckercky 11-12-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qward (Post 55711377)
You guys must not have watched many games with Chris Chelios.
The rule was created because of this guy. He would shoot the puck over the ice stopping play whenever he felt his team was getting tired. Usually while on a PK.

It's effectively the same thing as icing. Make it have the same result as icing. The current penalty is not only a stupid penalty any time of year, it's also one of the only penalties that has no grey area so gets called in the playoffs which gives it a disproportionate effect in deciding playoff games.

Kevin27nyi 11-12-2012 12:15 PM

I like the over the glass penalty, I just feel that it should be reviewable. Why aren't more things reviewable, we have that technology now. I don't want to see any more Hamonic penalties, where the puck bounces off the glass but they call it a penalty..in OT.

Kronwalled55 11-12-2012 12:16 PM

Flipping the puck over the glass in your end should be treated as an icing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deckercky (Post 55712609)
It's effectively the same thing as icing. Make it have the same result as icing. The current penalty is not only a stupid penalty any time of year, it's also one of the only penalties that has no grey area so gets called in the playoffs which gives it a disproportionate effect in deciding playoff games.

You beat me by 2 min, but yes.