HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: C Stewart for K Ballard (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1282221)

NYVanfan 11-12-2012 08:43 AM

C Stewart for K Ballard

St Loo could use a top 4 left side guy and Canucks could use a RW with size.
Both players have been under-utilized some on their current teams.
Both teams deal from strength to shore up weak areas.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 11-12-2012 08:45 AM

blues wont do this stewart upside is too high

DKQ 11-12-2012 08:45 AM

Stewart has much higher value than Ballard right now. Ballard has been performing poorly for multiple seasons on a bottom pairing (I know he played decently last year, and is on the wrong side), while Stewart has had one bad year and is much younger. Id say St. Louis has no interest in Ballard based on his high cap hit as well

NYVanfan 11-12-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn (Post 55709551)
Stewart has much higher value than Ballard right now. Ballard has been performing poorly for multiple seasons on a bottom pairing (I know he played decently last year, and is on the wrong side), while Stewart has had one bad year and is much younger. Id say St. Louis has no interest in Ballard based on his high cap hit as well

i thought that might be the reaction
I had also thought there was some discord w Stewart in ST Loo, he lost his PP time, etc ..
but maybe i was mistaken.
For the record, Ballard has been decent, he's just been stuck behind Hamhuis and Edler on the left side .... I thought he might fit nicely in the top 6, maybe even paired w Petro ...

any interest if the canucks sweetened the pot?

ballard, 3rd for stewart, 6th or something ..?

then we could ship Luo to TO for futures alone

Drew311 11-12-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYVanfan (Post 55709637)
I had also thought there was some discord w Stewart in ST Loo, he lost his PP time, etc ..
For the record, Ballard has been decent, he's just been stuck behind Hamhuis and Edler on the left side .... I thought he might fit nicely in the top 6, maybe even paired w Petro ...

Ummm no chance TO takes Luongo's contract without sending a cap dump back.

NYVanfan 11-12-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew311 (Post 55709677)
Ummm no chance TO takes Luongo's contract without sending a cap dump back.

then i guess he's not going to TO
unless there's something like a Gardiner or JVR w that dump
but I believe there's a thread for this. Or a thousand threads. More threads than any single topic in the history of the internet.

bleedblue1223 11-12-2012 09:08 AM

No chance of a Stewart-Ballard deal happening.

Bleach Clean 11-12-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 55709781)
No chance of a Stewart-Ballard deal happening.

I tend to agree. The "new" cap will also factor in here. If the cap drops to 60m, then VAN has to move Ballard (in addition to moving Lu), just to get under. All other things being equal that is...

If Stewart gets traded, he's heading east IMO.

Roof Daddy 11-12-2012 09:20 AM

This is not much better than if the Leafs were to offer Komisarek (which I hope has never happened). Ballard isn't quite that bad, but paying 4.2mil for a bottom pairing guy isn't a good idea for any team, much less a team with an internal cap.

NYVanfan 11-12-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roof Daddy (Post 55709953)
This is not much better than if the Leafs were to offer Komisarek (which I hope has never happened). Ballard isn't quite that bad, but paying 4.2mil for a bottom pairing guy isn't a good idea for any team, much less a team with an internal cap.

except that he's a bottom pairing guy by virtue of having edler and hamhuis above him, not by virtue of terrible play, as in your example.

but i agree that ballard's value as a result is too low now ...i would pass too if i were st louis. I do think there are a lot of teams though for whom Ballard could be very useful (Edm, for ex) ..but yeah, if I were them I wouldnt be opening up the coffers either...

Ceremony 11-12-2012 10:22 AM

I don't see why St. Louis would do this.

Shawnathon 11-12-2012 10:36 AM

Let me be the first to say Chris Stewart for Keith Ballard is ridiculous. Blues have defenseman. They need offense. And if they were trading Stewart for a denfenseman, it sure wouldn't be for Ballard to put it nicely.

stubbadub 11-12-2012 10:37 AM

Loltek Lolski! St. Louis would need a first coming their way with Ballard to get Stewart.

TOGuy14 11-12-2012 10:42 AM

I knew this would be proposed by a Nucks fan before I even opened the thread.

No chance St. Louis would even CONSIDER this. Ballard could be hard for a 3rd or 4th round pick, and Stewart is worth more than that...

craigcaulks* 11-12-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGuy14 (Post 55710977)
I knew this would be proposed by a Nucks fan before I even opened the thread.

Wow, it's like you have superpowers. Who the hell else BUT a Canucks fan would be trying to move Ballard?

kthsn 11-12-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOGuy14 (Post 55710977)
Ballard could be hard for a 3rd or 4th round pick, and Stewart is worth more than that...

Not at this point. Ballard is a contributing member of a very very good team. If it works cap wise players like Ballard on the 3rd pairing give the Canucks superior depth compared to lottery teams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roof Daddy (Post 55709953)
Paying 4.2mil for a bottom pairing guy isn't a good idea for any team, much less a team with an internal cap.

Unless he's on the 3rd pairing because of superior depth which is the case. Ehrhoff was frequently on the 3rd pairing during his tenure as well but it didn't hurt his value one bit.

*Stewart is still worth more than Ballard.

HooliganX2 11-12-2012 10:56 AM

St Louis has 0 interest in trading Stewart while his value is low. Ballard's contract and level up play just don't appeal to St Louis at all the Blues need a TOP pairing LH defenseman and that is not Ballard.

internetdotcom 11-12-2012 11:16 AM

Saint Louie doesn't touch this with a 100 foot pole, or even Zdeno Chara's hockey stick.

Alklha 11-12-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnathon (Post 55710891)
Let me be the first to say Chris Stewart for Keith Ballard is ridiculous. Blues have defenseman. They need offense. And if they were trading Stewart for a denfenseman, it sure wouldn't be for Ballard to put it nicely.

The bolded is completely wrong, but the rest of the post is right.

Mystifo 11-12-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYVanfan (Post 55709637)

Dude leave Toronto out of this thread. This is all about Stewart and Ballard. Want to make us leafs fans mad please go to the Lou thread.

As for this I would not touch it if I were STL Stewart has such upside do you really want to trade him away for Ballard?

bcjonny 11-12-2012 11:36 AM

Sometimes when I read these posts I am left with the impression that the Vancouver Canucks are a team that has missed the playoffs for 6 years in a row.

Its always refreshing to hear from other fan bases how we would be lucky to get a bottom pick for any and pretty much all of our roster ... And we would be lucky to get that!!!!

Then I wake up and realize the Canucks are a top team and in being a top team it is possible that their # 5 and 6 defensemen are and could be better than some other teams # 2 3 and 4 defensemen. Especially for the bottom 6 teams in the league. This is not the case with StLouis as they didn't suck last year.

Vankiller Whale 11-12-2012 11:44 AM

No reason for St. Louis to take a risk that Ballard continues his play from the end of last season. Maybe later in the year if Ballard consistently demonstrates an improvement, but until then...

jumptheshark 11-12-2012 12:41 PM

Ballards value is very low and stewart has a good upside. Even on the blues ballard is a 5-6 dman and he has a bad contract

jroc86 11-12-2012 01:13 PM

Keep Ballard. When Edler walks July 1st youll be glad hes still around.

(I kid I kid ...)

underslept 11-12-2012 01:30 PM

Ballard will likely need a very good season this year to even have trade value. Vancouver is likely stuck with him until his bad contract runs out.

St. Louis needs a top pairing defenseman. Pietrangelo can carry Cole if we can't find one, there is no need to trade for something we already have.