HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Coping with Life without the NHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1282251)

I Am Chariot 11-12-2012 10:39 AM

Coping with Life without the NHL

I can hardly believe I made it this far without imploding. Between the lockout, the election and Sandy I am at my wits end.

Ive watched some of the Euro games. It was interesting for a bit but there is something missing there for my tastes.

Anyone start any new hobbies, distraction that are getting them through?

I've read 11 books since Sept, definitely caught up on some projects... but I need the Rangers to be playing MEANINGFUL games.

Clowes Line 11-12-2012 10:51 AM

Surprisingly, it hasn't been too much of a problem. I thought I was going to kill myself, but with Football on three times a week, and volleyball after school everyday, I haven't even thought about it. I have been, however, watching as much College Hockey as possible. Gotta get some hockey in my schedule.

silverfish 11-12-2012 10:55 AM

Knicks, Giants, movies, TV shows, books.

I hope to start studying for the LSAT tomorrow, so that should take up quite a bit of my day.

Tough not being in school, not having a car, most of my friends are scattered around the country/globe. Single, live at home with my parents, have an internship but not a full-time gig, where I work solely on commission. Basically the worst year the NHL could have locked out, for me.

Well, at least the Knicks are looking good, and the Giants just need to go 3-3 and have a great shot at the playoffs.

And the OT thread certainly helps as well ;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FUQgwgo0eH...bie_Downer.jpg

haohmaru 11-12-2012 11:01 AM

My Xbox 360 is finally getting some love. Don't miss the NHL all that much because I really have no sympathy for either side.

Bleed Ranger Blue 11-12-2012 11:06 AM

Netflix has gotten me through to a large degree.

Its also made me a better husband - my wife isnt mysteriously missing DVR recordings on game nights as in year's past.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 11-12-2012 11:42 AM

I seem to be getting a lot less infractions since the lock-out.. :)

Ave Maria 11-12-2012 11:57 AM

without the Rangers my test scores have been higher plus I have been occupied with other school crap along with the Knicks starting the season

Mio41 11-12-2012 12:34 PM

At least I have the Jets to fall back on....:sarcasm:

HatTrick Swayze 11-12-2012 12:49 PM

Mens league + NCAA has gotten me my hockey fix. Well I still miss the Rangers no doubt.

The extra time has allowed me to get back into other hobbies like furniture restoration and homebrewing.

Stugots 11-12-2012 01:14 PM

This sucks. All I want to do after a long day of class and internship is watch some god damn NHL hockey. All work and no hockey makes me a dull boy.

Punxrocknyc19* 11-12-2012 02:00 PM

More NHL 13 on PS3 and going to a lot more punk ska rock shows... gonna see Sum 41 @ Irving plaza on Wednesday..

goatt 11-12-2012 02:06 PM

Soccer!

English Premier League soccer! My tv spends a lot of its time on Fox Soccer...go Arsenal! I am a NY Red Bulls fan too but they blew it already...EPL soccer goes through Winter =)

Bob Richards 11-12-2012 02:07 PM

Football has been my life for the past few months. Strangely enough, I'm very content with that.

Riverdale 11-12-2012 02:17 PM

Playing more video games I never had time for. Reading more.

Lots of netflix

Kershaw 11-12-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o (Post 55712247)
without the Rangers my test scores have been higher plus I have been occupied with other school crap along with the Knicks starting the season

This. Doing much better in school.

Poozer 11-12-2012 02:54 PM

I started medical school in August, needless to say the lack of hockey has been a little bit of a blessing as I get back in the swing of school/studying, etc. That said I was/am really hoping for a Dec/Jan start to the season.

Xtranova 11-12-2012 04:16 PM

As a European I'm actually experiencing sleep in the middle of the weeks! But I would trade that for the season to start any day :laugh:

When that's said I'm expecting a son within two weeks, so I guess the sleeping days are over soon :handclap:

Ola 11-12-2012 04:23 PM

Time gets by in my life, but I dont feel whole...

Blue Seat Spartan 11-12-2012 04:38 PM

Found plenty of other activities in the absence of Rangers hockey:
  • raising crickets
  • learning to cook REAL food
  • watching the "Toonami" block on [adult swim] instead of HNIC on Saturday nights
  • playing "Mega Man X" on my bro's PS3 for long stretches
  • buying up jerseys on the cheap
  • stripping said jerseys to re-customize @ Cosby's
  • stockpiling jerseys to sell upon end of lockout
  • creating a diorama of Rangers' (1993-1999) Center Ice... On a baking sheet. Inside my freezer
  • *****ing about lack of entertainment options while on the interwebz when I'm not doing any of the following above

And so goes a normal day in the legend of Blue Seat Spartan :shakehead

White Plains Batman 11-12-2012 06:25 PM

It's been tough because a huge part of the fall/winter/spring is hockey related (watching the Rangers, two fantasy leagues, going to some AHL games, etc.) but I've gotten by;

-Started getting back into Breaking Bad, my goal is to catch up to Season Five by the end of the year.

-Joined a fantasy football league

-Watching all the Giants related pre game/post game/Giants Chronicles/etc. on MSG

-Done some work on my PC to get one-two more years out of it

-Training for my Thanksgiving football game

-Coming up with new ways to improve programs/training at my job

-Trying to figure out if I want to stay in the NY area or go somewhere else. Pretty burned out from this place.

Cresto 11-12-2012 07:25 PM

I've been doing random things to fill myself and unfortunately I picked the wrong things. Unlike many of you who are coping, I am not.

Tanner Glass 11-12-2012 08:01 PM

-More time to watch football (European and American)
-Better Grades...
-Getting my **** together in general

Brooklyn Ranger 11-12-2012 08:42 PM

More time to work, less money to spend on hockey. Honestly, if it wasn't for the fact that I tend to see my closest friends at hockey games, I wouldn't miss it at all.

district9 11-12-2012 10:13 PM

pretending it's helping me do better in school this semester but really i'm just finding other less cool stuff to fill up my time. lot of video games, lot of work. watching a TON of euro hockey (although i do that even without the lockout) and trying to get on the ice a bit more this winter

Blueshirt67 11-12-2012 10:23 PM

Jets, Knicks, bar. Thought about reading a book but its not that bad yet.