HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   George Richards: Stephen Weiss, UFA after 2012-13, says will not negotiate new contract w/ #FlaPanther (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1282265)

RainingRats 11-12-2012 11:38 AM

Stephen Weiss, UFA after 2012-13, says will not negotiate new contract w/ #FlaPanther

Stephen Weiss, UFA after 2012-13, says will not negotiate new contract w/ #FlaPanthers if season starts. Understands potential ramifications

Weiss continues to say he is loyal to #FlaPanthers and wants to remain here past 2012-13. But if it's time to move on, so be it...#NHLockout

If the season does start we will have to trade him. We can't risk losing him for nothing. He should be able to get a nice payday and I'm sure he's felt he's been underpaid.

Markstrom Rules 11-12-2012 11:52 AM

This is BS ugh... although if theres a season we dont have to trade him until the deadline. Even though we dont look so hot right now, we cant give up on the playoffs at the beginning of the season.

RainingRats 11-12-2012 12:07 PM

George Richards ‏@GeorgeRichards

Stephen Weiss: I want to end my career with the Panthers; There's nothing but good days ahead for this team. Want to stay, be part of it.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

then why not negotiate during the season?

Finlandia WOAT 11-12-2012 12:25 PM

Is it he won't negotiate period, or he won't negotiate during the season?

Also: Weiss for LaRose and a 4th?

billysbreakdown 11-12-2012 12:42 PM

wait, what??

Wants to stay, wants to be apart of it, but won't negotiate if season starts and if it's cancelled he's UFA, so either way we're screwed and he's gone?

FlaPnthrsPunk 11-12-2012 12:50 PM

This scares me a bit, but I love how dedicated the guy is to staying with this team. He wants to remain a Panther for his entire career. I think Tallon will think long and hard about this if we do have a season to see what the best decision would be for the team overall. It would really suck to lose him though partially because of the lockout situation. He's the face of the franchise as far as I'm concerned for years to come.

RainingRats 11-12-2012 01:05 PM

Didn't Anaheim want a second line center for Bobby Ryan? Perhaps we could sweeten the deal and land him. It will be tough with him signed for just this season.

Pantherfan12 11-12-2012 01:19 PM

You have to post the whole entire article, not bits and peices.. Weiss stated that he does not want to renegotiate DURING THE SEASON. He said he wants to focus on playing the game and not having these issues hanging over his head. I expect him to resign with us during offseason though.

5 Hole 11-12-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 (Post 55714057)
You have to post the whole entire article, not bits and peices.. Weiss stated that he does not want to renegotiate DURING THE SEASON. He said he wants to focus on playing the game and not having these issues hanging over his head. I expect him to resign with us during offseason though.

Thank you for clarifying that..

Erick 11-12-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

If that's the case, he'd re-negotiate during the season. Don't buy into loyalty in business; fans have been fooled by this before many, many times.

Acadmus 11-12-2012 03:30 PM

I'd take the risk on this one.

Weiss has shown a lot of devotion to the team. He undoubtedly doesn't want the distraction during the season because he wants the Panthers to return to the playoffs (should a season actually happen, which is looking less and less likely each time one of these whirlwind negotiating sessions ends up going nowhere) and doesn't want to take the chance that the process leaves him feeling a little bitter toward the team, or perhaps more that fans question his play at every turn thinking he's playing poorly because he doesn't like the Panthers' offer or some such.

Yeah, we could lose him...but it's a rare case I'd roll the dice on it. Perhaps showing him that kind of loyalty is repaid in kind in the negotiations and he accepts a little less.

Blad Meaning Gud 11-12-2012 04:05 PM

I mean, it would blow to lose tho guy.. But, the only logic behind it would be him not wanting to worry about contract during the season. But still, seems dumb..

harv3317 11-12-2012 04:58 PM

he's got to be tied up, or else we need to get something for him. we can always resign him when he is a ufa if he's telling the truth. i have to let tallon sort this out as he has a better handle on this, but weiss is making things difficult!!!!

PanthersHockey1 11-12-2012 05:11 PM

Maybe now it will force someone to recognize we need an actual first line center.

PBPantherfan 11-12-2012 05:47 PM

Ha ha ha all the players that signed contracts before the lockout whine "the owners gave us these contracts with no plans of honoring them, they're dishonest" Weiss whines "the owners didn't give me a contract before the lockout so now I am so mentally week I can't negotiate during the season." My god what a bunch of crap. I hope the season is cancelled so I can get my money back and find something more fun to spend my time and money on. :rant:

gizmo12688 11-12-2012 06:06 PM

I'd take the risk and negotiate with him after the season. Either way, I'd harbor no ill will towards him. He stuck with us through the worst of the franchise and I was so happy so finally see him in the playoffs. Hopefully he'll want to stay.

Dr Beinfest 11-12-2012 11:43 PM

A bit of an overreaction here?

He basically is just saying that there is no need to worry he isn't leaving just because he's a pending UFA.

harv3317 11-13-2012 06:59 AM

he is also leaving go somewhere else on the table. this gives him all the clout! he needs to sign as soon as possible, or it's a crap shoot!!!!

Pantherfan12 11-13-2012 08:31 AM

I feel GR and this whole situation is being blown way out of proportion. Weiss isn't going anywhere, unless Tallon doesn't resign him. He didn't seem like he was whining, or unsure of his future. He seemed very sure that he wants to retire a Panther and doesn't want contract talks looming over head. This isn't Bo, where he never wanted to be here but screwed the Panthers by his indecisiveness. Weiss is very loyal to his team, I am sure he's the next Capt. of the Panthers and I see him being resigned. I'm disappointed in GR though. Making an article about this and making it seem like Weiss wanted out..

SoupyFIN 11-13-2012 12:52 PM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...rDcFrAkS7Gl3bA

L&G, calm the **** down. :laugh:

RECsGuy* 11-13-2012 01:54 PM

Weiss gonna get paaaaaaaaid by his hometown Maple Leafs.

RainingRats 11-13-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

I posted GR's tweets. You can post the whole article if you'd like.

RainingRats 11-13-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Beinfest (Post 55729401)
A bit of an overreaction here?

He basically is just saying that there is no need to worry he isn't leaving just because he's a pending UFA.

Almost everyone says this and then a lot go after the money.

smokes lets go 11-13-2012 07:24 PM

Completely misleading thread title, he doesn't want to talk contracts until the summer it expires, which leaves over 2 months to talk contracts, he just doesn't want to do it during the season.

RainingRats 11-13-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gripper (Post 55748531)
Completely misleading thread title, he doesn't want to talk contracts until the summer it expires, which leaves over 2 months to talk contracts, he just doesn't want to do it during the season.

The rest of the quotes are in hte OP. Anyone who would wait is being naive. Just like Garrison left, Weiss will leave too.