HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What about a new league? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=128227)

BringGilmourBack 02-08-2005 10:13 AM

What about a new league?

Let's say this year is a wash. And we have no idea when it will start up again. (next season or not) What do you guys think if the league started from scratch, be it "NHL2" or new league.

I guess the 1st question you might ask would be "How do we decipher what players are on which teams?"

Lets just say that all the teams that were in the "old NHL" transfer over to the "new NHL". And lets say there is or isn't a salary cap. I guess if you are looking at a new league that the players would agree to not have a cap. But how realistic may that be. Lets also say that there is some sort of cap.(40 million)
(with whatever stipulations there may be, revenue sharing...etc)

How about we have a huge draft with every NHL player available. And the order of the picking is in reference to whenever the team came into the league. So senior teams would have some advantage (their reward for being along for so long) So right off the bat Toronto or Montreal would have 1st pick. Maybe they could flip a coin to see who gets 1st pick. And it would go so on and so on. The last pick would go to Columbus, I believe. The order would go, 1 through 30, than start again.

Do you guys think that there should be a cap for this "new league"? This way the teams could be more evenly balenced (hopefully).

Anyways it was just something that I was thinking about. Obviously there would have to be a lot more to it, but I thought what the hay. Some people might get a kick out of it.

Cheers.

Patty Lee 02-08-2005 02:38 PM

And to ensure the league was run properly I would elect you as the new president! The man with the ideas.

yvresgyros 02-08-2005 02:49 PM

In a new league, I wouldn't allow Toronto to have a team, because, let's face it, the Cup is NEVER EVER going back there anyway. There.

joepeps 02-08-2005 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvresgyros
In a new league, I wouldn't allow Toronto to have a team, because, let's face it, the Cup is NEVER EVER going back there anyway. There.

troll your mom

BringGilmourBack 02-08-2005 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Around in 67
And to ensure the league was run properly I would elect you as the new president! The man with the ideas.

Thanks!. I accept.

Pulfy14 02-08-2005 05:25 PM

Quote:

Ya and the cups are going to the Habs

It Kills Me 02-08-2005 05:40 PM

Quote:

It's not like the Habs have been any better in recent years.

The new WHA is gonna start, and I hope that they get going.

Christ 02-08-2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittles.TML
It's not like the Habs have been any better in recent years.

The new WHA is gonna start, and I hope that they get going.

Better? In comparison to the Leafs, the Habs have flat out stunk for most of the last five seasons...

TrueBlue 02-08-2005 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vedder19
Let's say this year is a wash. And we have no idea when it will start up again. (next season or not) What do you guys think if the league started from scratch, be it "NHL2" or new league.

I guess the 1st question you might ask would be "How do we decipher what players are on which teams?"

Lets just say that all the teams that were in the "old NHL" transfer over to the "new NHL". And lets say there is or isn't a salary cap. I guess if you are looking at a new league that the players would agree to not have a cap. But how realistic may that be. Lets also say that there is some sort of cap.(40 million)

How about we have a huge draft with every NHL player available. And the order of the picking is in reference to whenever the team came into the league. So senior teams would have some advantage (their reward for being along for so long) So right off the bat Toronto or Montreal would have 1st pick. Maybe they could flip a coin to see who gets 1st pick. And it would go so on and so on. The last pick would go to Columbus, I believe. The order would go, 1 through 30, than start again.

Do you guys think that there should be a cap for this "new league"? This way the teams could be more evenly balenced (hopefully).

Anyways it was just something that I was thinking about. Obviously there would have to be a lot more to it, but I thought what the hay. Some people might get a kick out of it.

Cheers.

I'm totally for a new league. I hope that is what comes out of this whole mess. I want the NHL to explode and after all the chips fall, I hope they fall in places where hockey is loved and respected. A place where television contracts won't be hard to come by; a place where the arenas are filled with fans; in places where there is rivalry hockey.

As much as we like to think that hockey is big in the States, it's not.
It's no secret anymore and with a new league, many team owners will be considering "owning" a team in Canada. Every American NHL team owner is watching the loonie and what it might mean for their business...and they like it!

Verbal Kint* 02-08-2005 06:41 PM

Hate to inform you folks of this but if the owners create a new NHL they will be sued and jailed.

Verbal Kint* 02-08-2005 06:44 PM

Quote:

Go back to your cave.

Christ 02-08-2005 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Hate to inform you folks of this but if the owners create a new NHL they will be sued and jailed.

They should be sued and jailed simply for putting us through this rediculous lockout... :mad:

TrueBlue 02-08-2005 09:44 PM

Quote:

Sued and jailed by whom?

What are they bound to?

If the players do not want to accept the working conditions, thereby resulting in the billions of dollars lost for the owners and the league, what kind of laws would the owners have their hands tied to?

I'm sure the governments do not like this lockout(except the Euro governments). They are losing out on lots of money too. Everybody is against the NHLPA and the sooner they come down from their high horses, we can get back on the ice, with whatever league they form.

But in all reality, they will not change the NHL. The players change, but not the NHL. The NHL will live longer than the players, no player is bigger than the game.
That is why everyone should side with the league and the owners, they have to worry about giving the game to our kids. The players are here today, gone tomorrow.

BuppY 02-08-2005 10:13 PM

Quote:

get lost!!! :troll:

It Kills Me 02-09-2005 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Sued and jailed by whom?

What are they bound to?

If the players do not want to accept the working conditions, thereby resulting in the billions of dollars lost for the owners and the league, what kind of laws would the owners have their hands tied to?

I'm sure the governments do not like this lockout(except the Euro governments). They are losing out on lots of money too. Everybody is against the NHLPA and the sooner they come down from their high horses, we can get back on the ice, with whatever league they form.

But in all reality, they will not change the NHL. The players change, but not the NHL. The NHL will live longer than the players, no player is bigger than the game.
That is why everyone should side with the league and the owners, they have to worry about giving the game to our kids. The players are here today, gone tomorrow.

I was thinking like, while the NHL dies. The new WHA starts signing quality players, and eventually little ones (like me) start having of playing in the WHA and will be like WHA who?

Mess 02-09-2005 10:29 AM

Quote:

I fail to see the problem with this outcome ... For some owners that is actually a too light a sentance.

Some people have been saying Blow it up for months ... Maybe that is how they start ..

Archijerej 02-10-2005 11:10 AM

Quote:

Cheers.

Nice try to replace your retiring veterans with guys like Hossa. won't happen I'm affraid so you must continue with your "hypothetical" trades.

BringGilmourBack 02-11-2005 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archijerej
Nice try to replace your retiring veterans with guys like Hossa. won't happen I'm affraid so you must continue with your "hypothetical" trades.

Well, I was thinking more that I was bored and tire of this lockout and would love to see some hockey in the near future. I was just trying to come up with a basis for a new league that would be differant than a lottery draft. So I figured if we started a league based on "seniority" it might make it a little more interesting.

May I ask what team you follow?

But let me guess first...Montreal? If that is the case than I understand why you are so eager to squash a Maple Leaf fans idea. But what I don't understand is, if my idea did come to fruition than Montreal and Toronto would get 1st and 2nd pick, so you could retool your team as well. And you should be worried, your team has sucked..what, the last 5 years...easy. Toronto may be getting up there in age, but they have always found a way to stay competitve...unlike Montreal.

Archijerej 02-11-2005 09:02 AM

Quote:

Well, I was thinking more that I was bored and tire of this lockout and would love to see some hockey in the near future. I was just trying to come up with a basis for a new league that would be differant than a lottery draft. So I figured if we started a league based on "seniority" it might make it a little more interesting.

May I ask what team you follow?

But let me guess first...Montreal? If that is the case than I understand why you are so eager to squash a Maple Leaf fans idea. But what I don't understand is, if my idea did come to fruition than Montreal and Toronto would get 1st and 2nd pick, so you could retool your team as well. And you should be worried, your team has sucked..what, the last 5 years...easy. Toronto may be getting up there in age, but
they have always found a way to stay competitve...unlike Montreal.

Yes it's true I'm a Montreal fan. My response to your idea was short not because I wanted to offend you, just because of my bad english(I'm Polish). But I was fallowing your posts and you're always seem to look for an opportunity to "rebuild" Maple Leafs proposing trades that are impossible to accept from other teams point of view. I'm not a Leaf-hater and I'm not a homer. Actually guys like Sundin and Mogilny are making hockey so exiting sport in my eyes. Montreal Canadiens don't need to "retool" 'cause they were doing this for some time already and the process is almost over. I know that Maple Leafs have found the way to stay competitive, and believe me or not, I was hoping that they win the Cup. And by bashing Canadiens you won't change my opinion that you are trying to replace veterans by rising stars immediately and without paying any price that comes during the rebuilding process. Pffff I hope I'm not so hard to understand ;)

BringGilmourBack 02-11-2005 09:14 AM

Quote:

Yes it's true I'm a Montreal fan. My response to your idea was short not because I wanted to offend you, just because of my bad english(I'm Polish). But I was fallowing your posts and you're always seem to look for an opportunity to "rebuild" Maple Leafs proposing trades that are impossible to accept from other teams point of view. I'm not a Leaf-hater and I'm not a homer. Actually guys like Sundin and Mogilny are making hockey so exiting sport in my eyes. Montreal Canadiens don't need to "retool" 'cause they were doing this for some time already and the process is almost over. I know that Maple Leafs have found the way to stay competitive, and believe me or not, I was hoping that they win the Cup. And by bashing Canadiens you won't change my opinion that you are trying to replace veterans by rising stars immediately and without paying any price that comes during the rebuilding process. Pffff I hope I'm not so hard to understand ;)

I do apologize as it was not my intent to "bash' the CAnadians. I was just simply trying to say that they haven't really been that good of a team in recent years. (I guess in comparison to the Leafs)

I started the thread (topic) basically cause i was tired of all of this lockout crap. I was just trying to come up with a fun idea to base a new "league" around. I know it was unrealistic but if they do cancel the season and than maybe next years as well, the union could probably break and the league may colapse. So if any of that happened, it might be fun to think of what they could do to put hockey back on the ice.

Archijerej 02-11-2005 09:29 AM

Quote:

I do apologize as it was not my intent to "bash' the CAnadians. I was just simply trying to say that they haven't really been that good of a team in recent years. (I guess in comparison to the Leafs)

I started the thread (topic) basically cause i was tired of all of this lockout crap. I was just trying to come up with a fun idea to base a new "league" around. I know it was unrealistic but if they do cancel the season and than maybe next years as well, the union could probably break and the league may colapse. So if any of that happened, it might be fun to think of what they could do to put hockey back on the ice.

Ok. But i think teams like Columbus wouldn't agree on this "who's older having higher pick" and give up on their Nash's, Kovalchuk's and Heatley's ;)

It Kills Me 02-11-2005 09:39 AM

Quote:

Ok. But i think teams like Columbus wouldn't agree on this "who's older having higher pick" and give up on their Nash's, Kovalchuk's and Heatley's ;)

So while in the 02 draft Philly (a team that has made this league better and hasnt been a money loser) had the 4th overall draft, and then having some new guys (fla, columbus, atl) pick ahead of them.. Making their choices that much less. I'd say it'd be fairer for Philly to have a bouwmeester instead of having to settle with pitkanen (hes not horrible though) and then lose some more money during this lockout 'cause they couldnt do good with the players that they drafted. Sounds like we really don't need these wastefull teams.

BringGilmourBack 02-11-2005 09:47 AM

Quote:

For sure they would be ticked, and rightfully so. It was just an idea. Instead of doing a league round based lottery draft I just thought it might be more interesting. Why not reward the older teams. It's the partly the younger teams fault we are in this whole mess. Not to mention Bettmans'. He shouldn't have brought in all those teams.(Nashville,Minnesota,Atlanta,Columbus)
Every team would lose out on all of their players, so it wouldn't just be a team like Columbus.

monkey_00* 02-11-2005 03:37 PM

Quote:

---------

Ummmm................

Toronto doesn't need to win the Stanley Cup.....Stanley Cup is already there 365-days of the year down the street at the Hockey Hall-of-Fame....................

........................NEXT!!

Dar 02-11-2005 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkey_00
---------

Ummmm................

Toronto doesn't need to win the Stanley Cup.....Stanley Cup is already there 365-days of the year down the street at the Hockey Hall-of-Fame....................

........................NEXT!!

Where ya been fella?