HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Alex Avtsin Explanation Needed (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1282309)

Steve Shutt 11-12-2012 01:38 PM

Alex Avtsin Explanation Needed

Can someone please explain what Montreal and Hamilton are doing with RW Alex Avtsin. He's been scratched since the start of Hamiltonís season has been relegated to the fringe prospect group.

Obviously Lefebvre is not happy with him but at least send him to the ECHL to get some playing time and re-build his confidence. Montreal is going to ruin this kid. If they keep scratching him he'll eventually get so frustrated that he'll quit the team and head back to Russia

sheed36 11-12-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Shutt (Post 55714503)
Can someone please explain what Montreal and Hamilton are doing with RW Alex Avtsin. He's been scratched since the start of Hamiltonís season has been relegated to the fringe prospect group.

Obviously Lefebvre is not happy with him but at least send him to the ECHL to get some playing time and re-build his confidence. Montreal is going to ruin this kid. If they keep scratching him he'll eventually get so frustrated that he'll quit the team and head back to Russia

I'm a little surprised he hasn't done that already since he rarely plays here it seems.

FlyingKostitsyn 11-12-2012 01:47 PM

Is there a reason (contractual or other) they don't send him to the ECHL?

Le Tricolore 11-12-2012 01:51 PM

I remember when he was drafted and everyone here (myself included) was excited about him. Lots of skill, but a typical low risk, high reward pick that just didn't pan out. Oh wellz.

Captain Saku 11-12-2012 02:09 PM

He just sucks. It happens. Not every drafted russian will be the next bure or kovalchuk or ovechkin.

montreal 11-12-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

The only thing I heard is that they are working with him in practice and said at some point he'll get in the lineup. I'm not the least bit surprised, he regressed as the season went on last year, although as injuries add up he should get another chance.

YMCMBeaulieu 11-12-2012 02:28 PM

He's still only 21 so I wouldn't completely write him off yet but with Geoffrion out and Hamilton lacking offense he'll have a good chance to try and gain some playing time.

overlords 11-12-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Saku (Post 55715245)
He just sucks. It happens. Not every drafted russian will be the next bure or kovalchuk or ovechkin.

Kid went .3 ppg in his first season in the AHL coming over from Russia. The skills were there. I've never heard anything about having a bad work ethic, either. When a team is struggling to score and is icing wastes of space like Stortini instead of giving the kid a shot... I dunno. Something weird in the Avtsin situation.

Et le But 11-12-2012 02:45 PM

He's just not very good. No toolbox, he makes Andrei Kostitsyn look like a high IQ player.

It's hard to call a high risk late pick like that a bust, but he was a nice gamble that didn't pay off. At this point I feel bad for him because he should be released and given a fresh start back in Russia.

LyricalLyricist 11-12-2012 02:56 PM

Overrated by us. Should we look for the Trunev threads too? How these guys had unreal skill in foreign junior leagues?

Let's call it for what it is. He was a potential steal but at same time, he didn't reach it, maybe he will but he hasn't shown enough. Sure, he doesn't play much but lets look at the facts. Multiple coaches and neither have faith in him.

Is he being mismanaged? Maybe but considering its a development league with a very young team I find it hard to believe its some kind of unfair bias by the coaching staff.

It's going to happen again, everyone knows it. Bozon, Hudon haven't been hyped up too much surprisingly but they are much better than Avtsin.

I'm starting to be very weary of foreign players doing well in the minor/junior(not CHL) team. We've drafted quite a few but I don't remember any in the later stages working out.

LePoche69 11-12-2012 02:58 PM

another case of overhyped prospect who is simply not that good. I hope Habs' fans take notice because the same story start all over again after each draft. Habs' prospects are always steals and top prospects until we actually see them in the AHL. People shouldn't keep their hopes too high for the Tinordi's of this world.

Estimated_Prophet 11-12-2012 03:03 PM

Avstin simply isn't very good and doesn't have a future in the NHL........nobody is ruining anything. People need to stop trying to polish a turd around here.

MXD 11-12-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LePoche69 (Post 55716465)
another case of overhyped prospect who is simply not that good. I hope Habs' fans take notice because the same story start all over again after each draft. Habs' prospects are always steals and top prospects until we actually see them in the AHL. People shouldn't keep their hopes too high for the Tinordi's of this world.

Avstin was only highly valued by people who put to much emphasis on skills and not enough on... actual hockey being played.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 11-12-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

He's never been really good.... I never understood the hype.

yoyo999 11-12-2012 06:18 PM

No way he goes to the ECHL. If they demote him he'll go to the KHL. I think they know this, which is maybe why they're keeping him around telling him to hang tight

goalchenyuk 11-12-2012 06:25 PM

may be he was in a very bad shape at the camp ?

ChemiseBleuHonnete 11-12-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoyo999 (Post 55721187)
No way he goes to the ECHL. If they demote him he'll go to the KHL. I think they know this, which is maybe why they're keeping him around telling him to hang tight

If he cannot even make the AHL why would the KHL want him?

AJMHABS 11-12-2012 08:23 PM

I had high hopes for him, but I guess he wasn't focused enough.

Still haven't lost hope, though.

Shutdown 11-12-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 55724329)
If he cannot even make the AHL why would the KHL want him?

He was arguably doing better in the KHL at 18 than he was in the AHL at 20.

vokiel 11-12-2012 08:26 PM

Overrated and that is 5 minutes after he was drafted. If he's not in the ECHL, it's probably because of contractual constraints. If he's not back in Russia it's most likely because he wouldn't get any contracts anywhere with the lockout in the NHL having the effect it has. So he's taking it easy, I'm guessing.

Stjonnypopo 11-12-2012 09:02 PM

He was overrated by us because we saw his highlight reel and every time he made a nice play people flipped out calling him the next Kovalev.

He does seem to have some real consistency issues, but if he's never given a chance he'll never be able to prove himself.

68 11-12-2012 11:58 PM

Maybe he's just not as skilled as everyone thought he was?

dackelljuneaubulis02 11-13-2012 02:31 AM

I guess we'll see wednesday.

I find it bizarre that he never added any weight since he's been drafted.

He is one of the more odd cases we've had prospect wise. Always seems to have real good training camps but has only gotten worse as he's gone along. Plus nobody seems to know why. Never heard anything about a bad attitude, not even a peep.

Sure he wasn't going to live up to the hype but him actually regressing last year and now not even playing is really weird. It seems like there's something going on we don't know about.