HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Healthier electrolyte drink than gator/powerade? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1282411)

Nalens Oga 11-12-2012 06:53 PM

Healthier electrolyte drink than gator/powerade?

Apparently gatorade/powerade aren't as good at restoring electrolyte levels as they claim and contain a tonne of nasty ingredients like BVO found in carbonated drinks.

So is there any other drink or powder which someone here would recommend? Btw I don't drink any of these things regularly, just once in a while but would still be good to know.

Erz8771 11-12-2012 06:54 PM

Coconut water?

iamjs 11-12-2012 07:38 PM

accelerade

http://www.pacifichealthlabs.com/

TieClark 11-12-2012 08:25 PM

You have to be a serious health nut to not drink a gatorade at hockey

Ozz 11-12-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamjs (Post 55721705)

My girlfriend plays soccer and swears by this stuff. She says Gatorade, Powerade, etc. don't help like Accelerade does. She's pretty picky though, and when she's not her body is (picky).

Quote:

Originally Posted by TieClark (Post 55722689)
You have to be a serious health nut to not drink a gatorade at hockey

I just stick with water. Gatorade, etc. makes my stomach feel funny under such stress. FWIW, I am an incredible health nut.

Lonny Bohonos 11-13-2012 03:36 AM

There is an electrolyte mix that is sources from Utah. Basically its inland sea water and comes in drops form. No sugar etc added. You can add it to any things such as food, coffee etc with out changing the flavour aside from the flavour of the minerals. Its great stuff and creates zero mess.

Cant remember the name. Id try to find it.

Lonny Bohonos 11-13-2012 03:37 AM

Its called elete.

jakehitsrecord 11-13-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erz8771 (Post 55720663)
Coconut water?

This. Used to work at a health food store and would always recommend it. In addition to electrolytes it's very rich in potassium, so it can help with muscle cramping/fatigue.

SCBruCrew4 11-13-2012 08:33 AM

For cocnut water that actually tastes fairly good try O.N.E. Active. Tastes like Gatorade. I used to drink it all the time and I'll probably continue whenever I have a game.

http://mtnweekly.com/wp-content/uplo...onut-Water.jpg

izzy3 11-13-2012 10:22 AM

In the meantime they proved that these drinks (including coconut water) do not have a measurable effect. I've seen guys going crazy on two cans of red bull, but as soon as the sugar is burnt off they all experience a crash in energy.

I experimented with all kinds of drinks, but I perform best on water. No calory intake during practice/games seems to keep my blood sugar on a constant level, and I think that's key.

Jarick 11-13-2012 10:50 AM

Another option is a little lemon juice in the water and a pinch of salt and salt alternative (for potassium). But if you've got the cash, the coconut water stuff looks great.

cbjbluejackets61 11-13-2012 11:32 AM

does propel work as well? it seems to be a healthier choice than powerade/gatorade but it may not be as healthy as i assume it to be.

JR97 11-13-2012 01:54 PM

Pedialite is good.

Jarick 11-13-2012 03:10 PM

Gatorade is basically:

- Sugar
- Flavor
- Sodium
- Potassium

A cheap homemade alternative recipe from WebMD has:

- 1 qt water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt substitute

Or what's even easier, eat two bites of banana and put a pinch of salt in your water and you've done the same thing with all natural ingredients for about 10 cents.

SCBruCrew4 11-13-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 55740853)
Gatorade is basically:

- Sugar
- Flavor
- Sodium
- Potassium

A cheap homemade alternative recipe from WebMD has:

- 1 qt water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt substitute

Or what's even easier, eat two bites of banana and put a pinch of salt in your water and you've done the same thing with all natural ingredients for about 10 cents.

This is what I always do whenever I'm in a rush anywhere..minus the pinch of salt, but more on the water and banana. :naughty:

Jarick 11-13-2012 03:31 PM

Gatorade has 45mg of potassium and 150mg of sodium.

One pinch of salt is 150-300mg of sodium right there...and for potassium, here's the mineral content of most fruits.

You're looking at 1/10th of a banana, 1/6th of an orange, 1/4 of an apple...

Here's some fruit juices and literally an ounce of any type of orange juice, from concentrate or fresh squeezed, and a pinch of salt would do the same thing as Gatorade.

Nalens Oga 11-13-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzy3 (Post 55733419)
In the meantime they proved that these drinks (including coconut water) do not have a measurable effect. I've seen guys going crazy on two cans of red bull, but as soon as the sugar is burnt off they all experience a crash in energy.

I don't really care if they're as beneficial as advertised it's more about them not containing the artificial flavours and preservatives like citric acid which may be found in a gatorade type product. That's why water is best I guess but for sports something to restore electrolyte levels as others suggested is also good.

LarryO 11-13-2012 07:36 PM

How about potassium tablets like THIS or THIS with water?

Thesensation19* 11-19-2012 03:28 PM

water is the healthiest when it comes to drinks and hydration. but if u want more electrolytes, coconut water is great. also foods with salt can be a good replacement. gatorade should not be common in ur intake...

Jarick 11-19-2012 03:29 PM

Had a banana before last game. Made no difference and actually felt worse than normal (guessing the banana had nothing to do with it).

Hooah4 11-20-2012 08:31 AM

V8 has more electrolytes than any of the mentioned drinks here. Tough to slug down during a game though.

shoeshine boy 11-21-2012 08:19 AM

yeah but V8 is loaded with sodium so I don't go near that stuff. post game I drink the Guava flavored coconut water (but it has to be cold) and of course, a few beers! :)

Cowbell232 11-21-2012 09:30 AM

I drink Gatorade occasionally during games, but typically only if I haven't had time to eat a proper meal or something like that. I think the extra calories or something in the Gatorade over plain old water make me feel worse then whatever the Gatorade is supposed to do.

That is unless I haven't eaten properly, then it works better than water.

I think it's a case of really listening to your body and figuring out what works best for you.

The Tikkanen 11-21-2012 11:04 AM

G2 gatorade before the game, Smart Water during the game. Water enhanced with electrolytes, it aint cheap though.

#66 11-21-2012 11:09 AM

I like a G1 packet before a game. It doesn't give that kick like a Red Bull does but later in the game I still have my legs.

Has anyone heard anything about fat free milk being good after a game?