HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Can the Kings repeat? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1282663)

rajuabju 11-13-2012 10:31 AM

Can the Kings repeat?

Obviously Hockey is one of the hardest sports for teams to repeat. Rarely ever happens. And certainly the Kings were a surprise Cup winner... struggled pretty much all season long, barely squeaked in, then rode a hot goalie all the way to the cup.

On the other hand, they had time to gel as a team, get used to a new coach, bring back every single player, get a full season of Carter, etc, etc.

So I see some serious negatives, and serious positives.

I think the chances are still slim. But are the Kings better suited (compared to some other recent winners such as Chicago, Boston, etc) to repeat since they didnt make major roster or other changes?

SeriousHabs 11-13-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rajuabju (Post 55734501)
Obviously Hockey is one of the hardest sports for teams to repeat. Rarely ever happens. And certainly the Kings were a surprise Cup winner... struggled pretty much all season long, barely squeaked in, then rode a hot goalie all the way to the cup.

On the other hand, they had time to gel as a team, get used to a new coach, bring back every single player, get a full season of Carter, etc, etc.

So I see some serious negatives, and serious positives.

I think the chances are still slim. But are the Kings better suited (compared to some other recent winners such as Chicago, Boston, etc) to repeat since they didnt make major roster or other changes?

Repeat requires a season. There is no season. So no.

Screw You Rick Nash 11-13-2012 10:39 AM

Can they? I guess. Will they? I'd bet money that they don't.

On your last question of are they better suited to repeat than recent winners; I say no. Boston was/is a better team than LA. The Kings' run was a pretty much a miracle.

sharks9 11-13-2012 10:47 AM

Can they? Sure. Will they? It's really unlikely.

Sure they've had more time to rest than other Stanley Cup teams so the hangover shouldn't be a factor, but it's just too hard to repeat in today's NHL.

od71 11-13-2012 10:48 AM

No chance at all.

Butch 19 11-13-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 55734661)

On your last question of are they better suited to repeat than recent winners; I say no. Boston was/is a better team than LA. The Kings' run was a pretty much a miracle.

... and don't forget boring. :sarcasm:

:laugh:

craigcaulks* 11-13-2012 10:54 AM

If Quick duplicates his career season they'll make the playoffs. Without that, they won't even get that far.

No Fun Shogun 11-13-2012 11:01 AM

If you offered me a bet between the Kings and the field as to who would win the Stanley Cup, I would take the field in a heartbeat.

Could they? Sure.... but I really doubt it. Winning one Cup is hard as nails, winning consecutively, especially in this age of parity, is pretty damn hard.

FoppaForsberg* 11-13-2012 11:04 AM

Sure they can, just like every cup winner. I think they have a good shot if Quick could somehow repeat his previous season.

Hero 11-13-2012 11:14 AM

Their offensive group is insane if they're all clicking.

cyclones22 11-13-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigcaulks (Post 55734995)
If Quick duplicates his career season they'll make the playoffs. Without that, they won't even get that far.

LMAO what? At least try and not show an ounce of bias here. Do I think the Kings will repeat? No, but to say that Quick needs to have a Vezina caliber season to even MAKE the playoffs when they've been there the last 3 seasons? Enjoy shining your President's Trophy from last season.

Chris Hansen 11-13-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butch 19 (Post 55734857)
... and don't forget boring. :sarcasm:

:laugh:

Take away the sarcasm emoticon and I can't help but agree. It was almost comical how dull the playoffs were.

But I would still take that over no season at all, of course.

jroc86 11-13-2012 11:32 AM

Doubt it. Their good enough to - but the combo of Quick being superman, the team staying healthy, and the mommentum that run had is pretty unlikely. Theyll be in the conversation all along though.

M Gaz 11-13-2012 11:33 AM

Can the Kings repeat? Yes they can.

Will the Kings repeat? No they will not.

AJMHABS 11-13-2012 11:33 AM

I think they can.

They have excellent depth in offense, defense and are extremely solid in the net. Plus they kept all the players that helped them get there, so if there is any Cup champion that has a good chance of repeating, it's them.

HugginThePost 11-13-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 55735833)
Take away the sarcasm emoticon and I can't help but agree. It was almost comical how dull the playoffs were.

But I would still take that over no season at all, of course.

So much hate for the Kings....I just don't get it. It was a great play offs.

And no....I am not a Kings fan.

Screw You Rick Nash 11-13-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMHABS (Post 55735985)
I think they can.

They have excellent depth in offense, defense and are extremely solid in the net. Plus they kept all the players that helped them get there, so if there is any Cup champion that has a good chance of repeating, it's them.

This is literally the same thing every Cup winner says about their team every single year.

Vankiller Whale 11-13-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NashtyAttack (Post 55735977)
Can the Kings repeat? Yes they can.

Will the Kings repeat? No they will not.

This is the correct answer.

frankthetank91 11-13-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 55734661)

Id take LA over Boston but its close.

Performance wise:

Kopitar>Krejci
Richards=Bergeron
Brown>Lucic
Quick=Thomas
Horton>Williams
Carter>Seguin
Penner=Marchand
3rd and 4th lines a wash and id say defence are both equal.

Honestly it's too close to call but I chose La because of the dominance they had on their run.

Id say they have a good enough chance to repeat but might nt have the same hunger.

Chris Hansen 11-13-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HugginThePost (Post 55736113)
So much hate for the Kings....I just don't get it. It was a great play offs.

And no....I am not a Kings fan.

This was the worst playoffs since the lockout in terms of entertainment value, and Kings/Yotes/Devils/Rangers fans are unsurprisingly among the few who say otherwise. I imagine you are in the minority here.

Jack Donaghy 11-13-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthetank91 (Post 55736441)
Id take LA over Boston but its close.

Performance wise:

Kopitar>Krejci
Richards=Bergeron
Brown>Lucic
Quick=Thomas
Horton>Williams
Carter>Seguin
Penner=Marchand
3rd and 4th lines a wash and id say defence are both equal.

Honestly it's too close to call but I chose La because of the dominance they had on their run.

Id say they have a good enough chance to repeat but might nt have the same hunger.

I think Marchand's 11 goals + 8 assists clearly beats Penner's 3 goals + 8 assists.

TheUnseenHand 11-13-2012 12:10 PM

If there is a season, the fact that it will be significantly shortened will work very much in their favor. They will have a ton of rest and have no major subtractions from the team. They just can't sleep walk through as many games in the regular season as they did last season.

Frolov 6'3 11-13-2012 12:22 PM

They won't repeat because the chemistry in every game is probably gone.

If not, than I dont see many teams beating them.

Homegrown Kings 11-13-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 55736305)
This is literally the same thing every Cup winner says about their team every single year.

Except the Kings actually have kept ALL their players. Recent winners have all lost significant pieces for the following season.

1972 11-13-2012 12:44 PM

Hightly unlikely, can they? sure..