HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   65mil cap hit what would our team look like? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1282723)

rockinghockey 11-13-2012 12:46 PM

65mil cap hit what would our team look like?
 
If the cap hit is about 65mil what kind of team do you guys legit think we would ice?
Here is what we have now:

Hall 6mil; RNH 3.775; Eberle 6mil - 15.775
Hemsky 5mil; Gagner 3.2mil; Yak 3.775mil - 11.275
Smyth 2.25mil; Horc 5.5mil; Jones 1.5mil - 9.25mil
Eager 1.1mil; Belanger 1.75mil; Petrell .825mil - 3.675
Hordi - .850mil

Total fwd 40.825mil

Defense
N. Schultz 3.5; J.Schultz 3.775
Smid 2.25; Petry 1.75
Whitney 4; Peckham 1.075
Potter .775

Total dmen 17.125

Goalies
Khabi- 3.75 Dubey - 3.5
Total Goalies 7.25

Total - 65.2

We all know that this is not a competitive team for the playoffs. Guys are saying hey why not trade for Getz but he will want 6mil a year and can we really afford that with the 4 kids up front. This does not even count when RNH and Yak will be making 6mil and Schultz, Smid and Petry will need a raise. Dubey is making 3.5mil now but only for two years so his contract will go up if he proves himself.

What would you do to ice a competitive team with a cap hit of 65mil and lets just say that Yak, Eberle, RNH, Hall are all making 6mil a year? I know that Khabi, Horc, Smyth contracts will be gone but is it possible for us to ice a top team paying 6mil out to the FAB 4 and that is not even including Schultz, Smid and Petry's next contracts.

Hall, Eberle RNH, Yak 6mil each for 24mil
Harti 3.5mil; 2C 4.5mil for 8mil
PRV 1.5mil; Lander 1.5mil; Pitlick 1.5mil - 4.5mil
Tyravainen .850; VV .850; Petrell .850 - 2.55
Total Fwd 39.05
Defense
Schultz 5.5mil; Klefbom 3.5
Smid 3.5; Petry 3
Depth dmen total 4mil
Total defense 19.5mil

Goalie
Number 1 5mil
back up .850
Total goalie 5.850

Total team -64.4

I am not saying these are the players that will be on the Oilers and getting that amount but that is what we would have to pay by position.

Can we have a competitive team with the FAB 4 making 6mil each?

What would your team look like with total cost?

CSimpson18 11-13-2012 01:01 PM

delete

frag2 11-13-2012 01:09 PM

I have a tough time seeing PRV ever coming in as an Oiler FT now...Harti basically took his spot.

oilersfan11 11-13-2012 01:14 PM

Going forward,I would like to see this top 6:


Hemsky-Nugent-Hopkins-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Eberle


This top 6 looks more balanced.

nabob 11-13-2012 01:24 PM

In what world does Harti get payed 3.5m anytime soon. The guy is a average top 6 AHL player.

oilersfan11 11-13-2012 01:33 PM

We need to wait and see how Justin Schultz and the other prospects pan out first.


Harti 3.5M?

He ain't getting that anytime soon.

Halibut 11-13-2012 01:48 PM

Unless management screws up we shouldnt be paying RNH and Yak $6 million each for awhile. If the league gets it's way guys on second contracts wont have any leverage so they'll have to take less. Hall and Eberle got $6 million each but they gave up some free agency years, new CBA you wont be able to take a second contract into UFA years.

rockinghockey 11-13-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabob (Post 55739551)
In what world does Harti get payed 3.5m anytime soon. The guy is a average top 6 AHL player.

I am talking about what it would cost the Oilers to have a player that can play on LW on the top line, if Harti pans out for that then fine if not whom ever we get to replace him would cost that. This is a top line LW that would cost that much.

rockinghockey 11-13-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halibut (Post 55740217)
Unless management screws up we shouldnt be paying RNH and Yak $6 million each for awhile. If the league gets it's way guys on second contracts wont have any leverage so they'll have to take less. Hall and Eberle got $6 million each but they gave up some free agency years, new CBA you wont be able to take a second contract into UFA years.

That is all fine to state but if RNH and Yak perform just as good as Eberle and Hall or better their second contracts will still be big bucks. The point is the top players will get their money and the bottom player will have to take less.

rockinghockey 11-13-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersfan11 (Post 55739189)
Going forward,I would like to see this top 6:


Hemsky-Nugent-Hopkins-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Eberle


This top 6 looks more balanced.

It just looks too soft to me and lacking some size. There is a lot of skill but no push back in the top 6.

Petro Points 11-13-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frag2 (Post 55738969)
I have a tough time seeing PRV ever coming in as an Oiler FT now...Harti basically took his spot.

disagree. Hartikainen took a a top 6 spot to balance the lack of size in Gagner\Yakupov and Ebs. Paajarvi can still be decent 3rd liner.

Hemmer will be gone by the time RNH's next contract kicks in. Horcoff will be gone when Yakupov's contract is up. Icing a team for 65M would not be an issue in near future.

Horcoff+Hemsky+Smyth+Khabi made close to 20M.. Yakupov, RNH and Schultz already cost us 3.775M each in cap so they will only be getting a 2M raise ..

Halibut 11-13-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinghockey (Post 55740287)
That is all fine to state but if RNH and Yak perform just as good as Eberle and Hall or better their second contracts will still be big bucks. The point is the top players will get their money and the bottom player will have to take less.

Sure but you're talking specific numbers and unless those two blow the doors off they wont get $6 million. Most likely they end up with less, in the $5-$5.5 million range. That gives you @ $1 million more to work with right off the top. Small cuts off of every other salary ends up making it much more easy to fit under the cap.

Soundwave 11-13-2012 04:06 PM

I'm confused. The cap is going to be frozen at $65 million?

Hall and Eberle's contracts are not $6 million until the following season.

CROTT 11-13-2012 04:56 PM

Hall 6mil; RNH 3.775; Eberle 6mil
Hemsky 5mil; Schremp .550mil; Yak 3.775mil
Smyth 2.25mil; Horc 5.5mil; Hartikainen 1.5mil
Eager 1.1mil; Belanger 1.75mil; Rita .525mil
Niinimaki - .850mil

Total fwd 37.025mil

Defense
N. Schultz 3.5; J.Schultz 3.775
Smid 2.25; Petry 1.75
Syvret .550; Roy .575
Tesliuk .550

Total dmen 12.950

Goalies
Dubey - 3.5 Bjurling- .550
Total Goalies 4.050

Total - 54.025

Problem? I not see problem..

:sarcasm:

Turrican* 11-13-2012 04:57 PM

Thank god we got Robbie back!

sailorjerry96 11-13-2012 04:57 PM

In other news Schultz leads scoring. Eberle is 2, and RNH is 1 point back of 3rd. Awesome

nabob 11-13-2012 06:15 PM

No way that Robbie signs that cheap.

CROTT 11-13-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabob (Post 55746601)
No way that Robbie signs that cheap.

I originally had him at 1 million, but then I though everyone would think that would be too much. So, I thought maybe a one year deal at 550K to prove himself playing with wingers that will inflate his numbers. Then go looking for a pay day the next season...

A little to much thought for a joke line up... :help:

rockinghockey 11-13-2012 11:55 PM

The cap hits I have for players is what they will make in a few years; I dont see the cap at 70mil. If it is at 70mil then there will be no problem but I don't see it that high. If they went to 50-50 this year it would be at about 58 mil. Revenues are going to take a hit.

okgooil 11-14-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinghockey (Post 55755289)
The cap hits I have for players is what they will make in a few years; I dont see the cap at 70mil. If it is at 70mil then there will be no problem but I don't see it that high. If they went to 50-50 this year it would be at about 58 mil. Revenues are going to take a hit.

ya, but there will be a roll back. They aren't going to make the wealthy teams suffer that much. I mean the point of the lockout is to help owners, not hurt them.

every one knows the oilers will run into cap trouble eventually. Keeping the big 5 will be tough, but it is doable. THere will be players we will eventually ahve to let go becuase we can't afford them, but lets just enjoy the ride first. In a cap league it is just the way that any good team will eventually have to worry about it.

oilersfan11 11-14-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinghockey (Post 55740355)
It just looks too soft to me and lacking some size. There is a lot of skill but no push back in the top 6.

Go hard to try and land Clowe, and trade Hemsky for picks.



Clowe-Nugent-Hopkins-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Eberle


How does this top 6 look?

Fourier 11-14-2012 06:45 AM

If you have Yakupov at $6M then that means that the earliest you are looking at that team is the 2015-2016 season. BY that time I would expect the cap to be higher than the $65M you are suggesting but it is your thread so I will play by your rules,

FORWARDS
Ryane Clowe ($4.5m) / Ryan N.-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Nail Yakupov ($6.000m)
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Curtis Lazar($1.700m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
Magnus Paajarvi ($1.300m) / Eric Belanger ($1.750m) / Teemu Hartikainen ($1.300m)
Ryan Jones ($1.500m) / Anton Lander ($0.900m) / Tyler Pitlick ($0.900m)
Antti Tyrvainen ($0.600m) / Darcy Hordichuk ($0.850m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Alex Edler ($6.000m) / Justin Schultz ($5.000m)
Ladislav Smid ($4.500m) / Jeff Petry ($3.000m)
Oscar Klefbom ($1.275m) / David Musil ($0.925m)
Martin Marincin ($0.870m) /

GOALTENDERS
Devan Dubnyk ($3.500m)
Tyler Bunz ($0.700m)


This comes out to about $64.5M with some additiona room due to bonus the bonus cushion.

I have a feeling about Lazar. I think he will fall out of the top ten this year and that even if the Oilers are in the 10-20 group in the draft that they will make a move to get him. In any case, I think the OIleres #2 center comes out of this draft.

Edler and Clowe would be great. But you can treat their slots as place holders.

shogun99 11-14-2012 09:28 AM

I won't put player names, i'll just put in cap numbers.

1st line: 6mil/6mil/6mil = 18mil

2nd line: 6mil/4mil/4mil = 14mil

3rd line: 2mil/2mil/2mil = 6mil

4th line: 1mil/1mil/1mil = 3mil

extra: 600k

forwards = 41.6

1st pairing: 6mil/4mil

2nd pairing: 3mil/2mil

3rd pairing: 1mil/1mil

extra 600k

defence: 18.6

Goalies: 4mil/800k = 4.6mil

Total cap hit: 65 mil

The 6 mil contracts would be RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov and Schultz. The 3rd/4th line and 3rd pairing take a hit but those can be filled with hard working plugger types. I think it is a managable cap hit as long as theres no bad contracts.

This is worst case scenario if the cap doesn't go up. Cap will probably be around 75mil by the time Yakupov's ELC is up.

rockinghockey 11-14-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 55755435)
ya, but there will be a roll back. They aren't going to make the wealthy teams suffer that much. I mean the point of the lockout is to help owners, not hurt them.

every one knows the oilers will run into cap trouble eventually. Keeping the big 5 will be tough, but it is doable. THere will be players we will eventually ahve to let go becuase we can't afford them, but lets just enjoy the ride first. In a cap league it is just the way that any good team will eventually have to worry about it.

It has already been stated that there will be no roll back

rockinghockey 11-14-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersfan11 (Post 55756329)
Go hard to try and land Clowe, and trade Hemsky for picks.



Clowe-Nugent-Hopkins-Yakupov
Hall-Gagner-Eberle


How does this top 6 look?

I like Gagner but I still think that we need a bigger 2C. I would like to get a Collin Wilson from NSH as EDM's 2C. What do you guys think, would he be a good fit and what would it cost?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.