HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   GDT: Habs vs Nords - 1st game ever (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1282893)

Whitesnake 11-13-2012 07:53 PM

Habs vs Nords - 1st game ever

For the old guys....and maybe newer ones....;), on RDS, the first game that was ever played in the NHL between the Habs and the Nords...

It's great to see all those faces, always interesting to see how there were just no physical play compared to this day, the lack of technique in goaltending etc. but one thing that strikes me everytime I watch old Habs games......Geez do I miss René Lecavalier and Gilles Tremblay....

Mats86 11-13-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 55749273)
For the old guys....and maybe newer ones....;), on RDS, the first game that was ever played in the NHL between the Habs and the Nords...

It's great to see all those faces, always interesting to see how there were just no physical play compared to this day, the lack of technique in goaltending etc. but one thing that strikes me everytime I watch old Habs games......Geez do I miss René Lecavalier and Gilles Tremblay....

Nords always played us tough...glad to see them gone

Crimson Skorpion 11-13-2012 08:14 PM

1-1, after the second period.

I don't believe I've ever seen this game.

katatoniak 11-13-2012 08:32 PM

So weird to see Gainey and Savard playing haha :yo:

Whitesnake 11-13-2012 08:49 PM

And another thing I miss....the Old Forum and how close we were to the play on TV compared to the Bell Centre.

Mats86 11-14-2012 07:13 AM

Was the game before helmets?

niftymove 11-14-2012 07:23 AM

Yes. You see Lafleur, hair floating in the wind, in the time he had some!

Noticeable as well: the shoulder pads were thin! Players did'nt look like tanks on the ice and they were less concussions!

HabsByTheBay 11-14-2012 08:13 AM

Well yeah, guys weren't doing their best Robocop impressions skating 30 second shifts full bore into other guys and trying to kill each other so they didn't have to go back to the farm.

It was a game about technique.

peate 11-14-2012 11:19 AM

They're showing another one tonight. Game 5 of a best of 5 series, from 1982. That's when the rivalry really got going. Friday they're airing the infamous good Friday massacre.

Mats86 11-14-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidd (Post 55757473)
Yes. You see Lafleur, hair floating in the wind, in the time he had some!

Noticeable as well: the shoulder pads were thin! Players did'nt look like tanks on the ice and they were less concussions!

I liked hockey before helmets, gamed oozed character back then. Roger Doucet, Danny Gallivan, Claude Mouton.

Aurel Joliat 11-14-2012 08:57 PM

I was good last night with Rene Lecavalier and Gilles Tremblay.

But awful tonight with Houde and Denis. What's the point to have the new commentators for an old game ??? We all know the result of the game...

thom 11-15-2012 11:05 AM

THAT IS A MYTH THAT THERE WERE A LOT LESS CONCUSSIONS.Many players played with concussions because it was considered cowardly to complain.Paul Henderson had 5 concussions and said if you complained the gm or coach would find some one else.You think when Pat Quinn nailed Orr he did not suffer concussion.Smelling salts were rampant in the 70's every player would be snorting after they got danged.The reason things have changed is because lawyers and Poilticians started to get involved.

Simerc 11-15-2012 12:26 PM

Or, I don't know, doctors?

Mats86 11-17-2012 11:14 PM

Watched another great game last night from 1978. The Boston Garden, right on top of the ice, loved those days. Real hockey. They cut most the commercials out, action seemed end to end. Although, one of the few games we lost we won the cup in 6 games. Bruins said Larry Robinson killed them, never anybody anymore deserving of the Conn Smythe that him that year

Kimota 11-18-2012 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat (Post 55774551)
I was good last night with Rene Lecavalier and Gilles Tremblay.

But awful tonight with Houde and Denis. What's the point to have the new commentators for an old game ??? We all know the result of the game...

I prefer the new guys because they're giving us a fresh new take of the match, especially knowing what will happen after that. If it would only be the old games, I would probably would not watch it since we've seen them time and time again.

And while hearing Lecavalier and Tremblay is great, the worst possible moment to hear them was during the Vendredi Saint since they kept whining about the ugliness of fighting, going in full Radio-Canada snobish mode.

Harry Wong 11-20-2012 09:14 PM

Classic game tonight for Jean Perrons' Habs in the Divison Final with the Nordique. Bobby Smith, Claude Lemieux and Ryan Walter and mighty Nats Naslund for the offence. Tough as nails young Corson Chelios and Nilan. Skrudland, Gainey, Carboneau and Larry Robinson holding a clinic on defence... the list goes on. Not a weak player on the team. And I forgot, Michel Bergeron and Guy Carbeneau commenting a game that Bergeron coached and Carboneau played in.