HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Eagles Offseason Thread - OT (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=128302)

blah 02-08-2005 06:23 PM

Eagles Offseason Thread - OT

Cap Room: 17.1 million

Free Agents:
-Offense
QB Jeff Blake
RB Dorsey Levens
G Jermane Mayberry
TE Chad Lewis
RB Correll Buckhalter
RB Jon Ritchie
RB Brian Westbrook (RFA)

-Defense
LB Keith Adams
DE Derrick Burgess
DE Hugh Douglas
LB Ike Reese
DT Corey Simon
MLB Jeremiah Trotter

Draft Picks:
-Day One
Round 1 - Pick 31
Round 2 - Pick 35
Round 2 - Pick 63
Round 3 - Pick 77(?) - Did they get the Chiefs pick or not?
Round 3 - Pick 94

MojoJojo 02-08-2005 07:51 PM

Any guesses how much Westbrook will get?

He's the only one on that list that has to be signed. With that much free agent moolah they can do pretty well everywhere else. Mayberry and Lewis are good players, wouldnt mind keepig them but could be upgraded.

What running backs are available?

Rex88 02-08-2005 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
Cap Room: 17.1 million

Free Agents:
-Offense
QB Jeff Blake = gone
RB Dorsey Levens = gone
G Jermane Mayberry = gone and replaced by Mike Whale of GB who I am 99% is UFA
TE Chad Lewis = back at lower salary or gone
RB Correll Buckhalter = gone
RB Jon Ritchie = gone
RB Brian Westbrook (RFA) = extension

-Defense
LB Keith Adams = either he or Reese will be let go unless Trotter bolts
DE Derrick Burgess = to bad he played well, now will get big raise elsewhere
DE Hugh Douglas = if OK with near vet min will return
LB Ike Reese = see above
DT Corey Simon = one year franchise
MLB Jeremiah Trotter = extension

Draft Picks:
-Day One
Round 1 - Pick 31
Round 2 - Pick 35
Round 2 - Pick 63
Round 3 - Pick 77(?) - Did they get the Chiefs pick or not?
Round 3 - Pick 94

The picks are anyones guess with Reid but I will have faith. I can see both lines being addressed with a LB and big RB in the mix. Will he again go after a WR or sit with the current crew? The interior line needs help and Andrews return and adding a guy like Wahle would be great. The takcles will need turnover and will again be a focus unless Andrews is moved sooner in that case a gaurd will be picked high. I see Simon max one more year and DT is thus going to be big this draft as well.

GKJ 02-08-2005 08:01 PM

Hugh Douglas and Corey Simon I would bet are probably gone.

King Fish 02-08-2005 09:45 PM

Who or what position do you address with the first pick?
I say best RB available, then DT and LB third.

Rex88 02-08-2005 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Fish
Who or what position do you address with the first pick?
I say best RB available, then DT and LB third.

Whomever is highest on the Eagles board in any number of positions - DT/OT/OG/LB most likely.

GKJ 02-08-2005 10:48 PM

If they can find someone like Duce Staley (who we could have used in the Super Bowl) that would be nice. I highly doubt though that with Buckhalter coming back, and the guy from Maryland who got hurt coming back and Levens probably gone so that Tapeh can get come reps that they take a RB high in the draft unless they want to let Buckhalter go but then they would probably bring Levens back unless they can find someone like him.

They should look hard on one of the lines.

JCD 02-09-2005 08:56 AM

Eagles are positioned pretty well again for next year.

QB Jeff Blake- Will be cheap anywhere he goes and easily replaced. Adequate back-up.

RB Dorsey Levens- If the Eagles didn't call, he would have been watching all year. Easily replaced.

G Jermane Mayberry- Good guard and good chance he gets some notable FA attention. You can draft a starting-grade guard just about anywhere on the first day. If not, Eagles have the cap room to sign a decent player.

TE Chad Lewis- Like the player and think he is a good leader, but his diminishing contributions on the field won't be hard to replace. Honestly, I think the Eagles would be well-served to go after more of a blocking type to give them more versaility. Otherwise, no shortage of middle-of-the-road TEs you can pick up to sit behind LJ.

RB Correll Buckhalter- Personally, I thought he has been vastly over-rated. He is an easily replaced back-up.

RB Jon Ritchie- Another very likable player. Will the Eagles sign him after his injury? Being a home-town boy may factor in. If they don't, Tapeh can pick up the slack. Though he may not be as effective of a blocker (all the more reason to add a blocking TE)

RB Brian Westbrook (RFA)- RFAs have limited marketability. Eagles will give him at least a 1st round tender. As long as Westbrook doesn't get too greedy, he will be back. If Westbrook pushes for a big-time deal, then it doesn't look good. Eagles history of resiging big-time FAs is pretty poor.

LB Keith Adams- Eagles don't have much in the way of on-the-rise LBs, so I highly suspect he is replaced by a rookie.

DE Derrick Burgess- Sporadically productive, continually injured. I could see the Eagles bringing him back as a back-up. I could just as easily see them cut ties to avoid the constant headaches. Time to start McDougle anyway.

DE Hugh Douglas- I think he is back. Other teams are not going to give him a retirement contract and I believe he said he wants to play for Philly. I bet he signs cheap to stay on as either a situational player or a back-up.

LB Ike Reese- Tough call. This is a pretty weak crop of FA LBs this year, so a versatile guy like Reese may get extra attention. Since he would be a back-up in Philly and has a shot at starting elsewhere, I could see him walking.

DT Corey Simon- Bye. Somebody will pony up far more dough than he is worth. I can't see the Eagles getting in a bidding war to keep him. This opens up a hole in the line-up.

MLB Jeremiah Trotter- I bet the farm he stays. He was clearly the Eagles best LB and came back by choice.

Overall, the only players that will open up holes are Simon, Mayberry and potentially Westbrook. Westbrook would be a VERY tough loss, but Eagles would get at least a 1st in his departure. Simon will be difficult to replace in a weak DT market (Simon, Hovan and Pat Willams are the only notable names I can think of). Mayberry can walk and the Eagles can use one of their 1st 3 picks on his replacement.

I suspect the Eagles will also cut either Mitchell or Pinkston and draft a potential starter opposite Owens.

At the draft, I would be surprised if the Eagles did come away with a DT, OG, WR and LB. Just a matter of what round.

MojoJojo 02-09-2005 09:00 AM

Is there a list of available free agents?

GKJ 02-09-2005 09:17 AM

I keep hearing from a few people that Plaxico Burress is going to here. Just a few people at work though, not anyone who shows much objectivity.

JCD 02-09-2005 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I keep hearing from a few people that Plaxico Burress is going to here. Just a few people at work though, not anyone who shows much objectivity.

I think other teams will pony up more than the Eagles would be willing. Few teams have 2 4+ mil per receivers on their team. KC, SD, Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, SF and Oakland all need help at the position. Each of those teams, Burress would be the #1 guy (or at least in good position to fight for it).

Personally, I pity the team that gets Plex. Plex is a decent player, but will get grossly overpaid in this weak WR market. He is woefully inconsistent.

John Flyers Fan 02-09-2005 09:31 AM

MARK ECKEL, who is the longest running and I believe best of the Eagles beat writers had th efollowing thoughts on the Eagles various free agents:

G Jermane Mayberry- gone

TE Chad Lewis- gone, might retire and work on the coaching staff

RB Correll Buckhalter- gone

RB Jon Ritchie- gone

RB Brian Westbrook - back

LB Keith Adams & LB Ike Reese - he thinks that only one of the two will be back, probably Adams, as Reese is much older

DE Derrick Burgess- back, with a considerable raise

DT Corey Simon- Back, probably one a one year franchise

MLB Jeremiah Trotter- Back, certainly the one Eckel seemed most sure of.

Other non-free-agents:

Pinkston - back
Mitchell - gone

Dave Carlson 02-09-2005 09:33 AM

I think, given their cap room, that it is not inconcievable that the Eagles tag Simon.

Dr Love 02-09-2005 09:40 AM

Buckhalter and Ritchie were gone the moment they got hurt. Trotter will be back, both sides want the same thing. Corey Simon is going to get way more money than he deserves. I can't see them not bringing Reese back unless he wants to go get a chance to start somewhere else.

GKJ 02-09-2005 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCD
Personally, I pity the team that gets Plex. Plex is a decent player, but will get grossly overpaid in this weak WR market. He is woefully inconsistent.

I agree. Plex is good, but I'm not sure if he is THAT much of an improvement over Pinkston and Greg Lewis (who should be the #3 guy next year). Pinkston is a bit inconsistent with being afraid to go voer the middle at times but he is a legit deep threat, but Greg Lewis is becoming that too, in all 3 playoff games McNabb connected on bombs to him.

JCD 02-09-2005 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I agree. Plex is good, but I'm not sure if he is THAT much of an improvement over Pinkston and Greg Lewis (who should be the #3 guy next year). Pinkston is a bit inconsistent with being afraid to go voer the middle at times but he is a legit deep threat, but Greg Lewis is becoming that too, in all 3 playoff games McNabb connected on bombs to him.

I disagree with that though. Pinkston is a marginal slot reciever and a big-time downgrade from Burress. Burress is inconsistent, but is a legit top-2 receiver. Pinkston is a 1-dimension deep threat without that great of speed. To be honest, he isn't even that special as a #3 guy.

blah 02-09-2005 11:36 AM

I don't follow College FB, for those who do, what are the chances of Mark Clayton falling to the Eagles 1st and are there any Carlos Emmons-esque OLBs in the draft?

GKJ 02-09-2005 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCD
I disagree with that though. Pinkston is a marginal slot reciever and a big-time downgrade from Burress. Burress is inconsistent, but is a legit top-2 receiver. Pinkston is a 1-dimension deep threat without that great of speed. To be honest, he isn't even that special as a #3 guy.

Combined with Greg Lewis though, I think can be very effective if Lewis continues to establish himself as a player who will play and not just an injury replacement. I know the Eagles are very high on this guy.

Ultimately, I would like to have someone else as the #2. Burress is better, but for what he might get paid, I may pass, is my point.

budscweizer16 02-09-2005 02:39 PM

i heard they might go after Edgerin james.......

blah 02-09-2005 02:44 PM

Na I don't think think they'll go after James. Maybe Rudi Johnson or somebody like that. James will probably go to Miami if he isn't franchised.

Dr Love 02-09-2005 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budscweizer16
i heard they might go after Edgerin james.......

Uhh... yeah....

Quote:

Na I don't think think they'll go after James. Maybe Rudi Johnson or somebody like that. James will probably go to Miami if he isn't franchised.

Zero chance Johnson comes to Philly. He'd be a platoon RB here, he's going to go somewhere he'll start.

Brad* 02-09-2005 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCD

That's the problem though, I'd like to see the Eagles go after another good receiver with some of that cap room. Pinkston is not a number two, and Greg Lewis isn't ready to step up to that spot yet.

blah 02-09-2005 04:02 PM

I don't think a 2nd WR is that big of need. Westbrook can easily be considered their 2nd WR. They need that between the tackles RB.

MojoJojo 02-09-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

I don't think a 2nd WR is that big of need. Westbrook can easily be considered their 2nd WR. They need that between the tackles RB.

Gotta second that. Westbrook is a nice RB,but they need someone who can build up a head of steam and blast through the middle if need be. Obviously we have no shot at Bettis, but a player like that in the line up would cause havoc in the opposing D just by his very presence.

Maybe Shaun Alexander?

JCD 02-09-2005 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Maybe Shaun Alexander?

See: James and Rudi.

Why would Alexander sign on with a team where he would have to share carries?

Why would the Eagles invest 3+ mil per for another RB when they have Westbrook?