HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Stan Jonathan charged in hunting death (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1283143)

Ward Cornell 11-14-2012 01:55 PM

Stan Jonathan charged in hunting death

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/14...-in-mans-death

Quote:

BRANTFORD, ONT. - Former NHLer Stan Jonathan has been charged with criminal negligence causing death after Peter Kosid of Hamilton was killed on a native reserve outside Brantford Sunday morning.

While out hunting, Jonathan, 57, a Six Nations band member, fired a round that travelled about 375 metres before hitting Kosid, who was bow-hunting on a friendís nearby property.
<snip>

ODAAT 11-14-2012 02:01 PM

Gulp, not good

08SeaBass08 11-14-2012 03:10 PM

Just terrible news. He's been a really nice guy the couple of times I've met him, so while I obviously have sympathy for the deceased and their family, I have a great deal of sadness for Stan, too.

wetcamelfood 11-14-2012 03:13 PM

Met him in '78 after a Bs'Hawks game at Kowloons, seemed really nice so I doubt this was intentional but who knows we'll see I guess.

Dogberry 11-14-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood (Post 55767583)
Met him in '78 after a Bs'Hawks game at Kowloons, seemed really nice so I doubt this was intentional but who knows we'll see I guess.

375 meters away... you can be sure this is just a tragic accident.

Sad story. :(

mikelvl 11-14-2012 03:34 PM

Terrible story, heartbreaking for all involved, obviously an accident, just awful.

DoubleAAAA 11-14-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wetcamelfood (Post 55767583)

Certainly not, but the charge is criminal negligence. Unfortunate situation all around.

Hamilton Brian 11-14-2012 04:15 PM

We know the family of the deceased; I met the victim a couple of times. That family is definitely devastated. Sad news all around.

wetcamelfood 11-14-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogberry (Post 55767757)
375 meters away... you can be sure this is just a tragic accident.

Sad story. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA (Post 55768689)
Certainly not, but the charge is criminal negligence. Unfortunate situation all around.

Oh yeah absolutely, I just meant I didn't want to come across as judjmental. :)

Cam08 11-15-2012 11:26 AM

Former Boston Bruins forward Stan Jonathan

BRANTFORD, Ont. -- Former Boston Bruins forward Stan Jonathan has been charged with criminal negligence causing death after a hunting accident on the weekend left a Hamilton man dead.

Peter Kosid was shot and killed on Sunday while crossbow hunting for deer on a friend's property on a Six Nations Reserve near Brantford, about 100 kilometres west of Toronto.

Six Nations Police said a deer hunter fired from the roadway into the bushline area. The bullet struck Kosid, who was wearing camouflage, from about 375 metres away.

Police said Jonathan and Kosid were not known to each other and were not hunting together.

Jonathan, a prominent member of the Six Nations band, was released after a bail hearing Wednesday. His next court appearance is scheduled for Dec. 14.

Jonathan spent eight seasons with Boston and Pittsburgh and was known for his fighting skills as well as his scoring touch. His best offensive season was 1977-'78, when he had 27 goals and 25 assists in 68 games as the Don Cherry-led Bruins advanced to the Stanley Cup final before losing to Montreal in six games.

Jonathan finished his NHL career with 91 goals, 110 assists and 751 penalty minutes in 411 games.

Neely08 11-15-2012 01:15 PM

Terrible.

nonoffensiveusername 11-15-2012 01:16 PM

That is a one in ten million accidental shot. Man.

KnightofBoston 11-15-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonoffensiveusername (Post 55788269)
That is a one in ten million accidental shot. Man.

Which is why I'm guessing there is more to the story than just what's printed...I don't know the gun laws in that area but in Mass (relatively strict on guns) you have to be 500 feet from any dwelling. The departed was well beyond that...Jonathan must have done something he wasn't supposed to do...like shoot into the sky or high or not at something that had thick earth behind it

DarrenBanks56 11-15-2012 01:36 PM

This is scary considering my back yard is right along a huge hunting area.
kinda far shot to be taking in my opinion though.

makes me think twice about going in my yard.

I met Stan in the promenade at a game 2 years ago.
He was a blast. I'll just put it at that. haha

whatsbruin 11-15-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenBanks56 (Post 55788687)
This is scary considering my back yard is right along a huge hunting area.
kinda far shot to be taking in my opinion though.

makes me think twice about going in my yard.

I met Stan in the promenade at a game 2 years ago.
He was a blast. I'll just put it at that. haha

I don't hunt, but a gun big enough to take down a deer will travel a long
way, probably a mile or so.

My guess is he aimed at a deer and missed, and the bullet continue on and
hit the other hunter.

Tragic accident I would guess.
Sure there could be something more, a back story perhaps, but
based on what is known so far, it was just a tragic accident.

Ratty 11-15-2012 03:38 PM

RIP Peter Kosid.

cyris 11-15-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnightofBoston (Post 55788529)
Which is why I'm guessing there is more to the story than just what's printed...I don't know the gun laws in that area but in Mass (relatively strict on guns) you have to be 500 feet from any dwelling. The departed was well beyond that...Jonathan must have done something he wasn't supposed to do...like shoot into the sky or high or not at something that had thick earth behind it

It's hard to tell what laws apply in this situation. The incident happened on a native reserve near Brantford On. Not in Brantford like the article linked above suggests. And the laws there are different than what they could be in the rest of Ontario yet in most cases Ontario laws should still apply. Jonathan apparently fired the shot from the roadway which is illegal in Ontario but not really a law enforced on native land. Also as a member of the 6 Nations tribe in Canada Jonathan is allowed to hunt in places most people aren't.

If anyone is wondering what my source is I'm actually from Brantford and much of this was in today's local paper.

cyris 11-15-2012 03:57 PM

Article from local paper.
http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/201...on-six-nations

Dellstrom 11-15-2012 04:18 PM

R.I.P, that's terrible... Has all the markings of an accident, I hope so anyway. :(

Unfortunately, it doesn't really matter... Accident or not, a man is dead... Really tragic and unfortunate for both sides. Man, what a terrible, terrible situation to be in. I can't imagine it. Hurting, let alone killing, anyone is hard enough for me to manage. Imagine killing someone due to some incredible bad luck, yikes... I'd be absolutely mortified.

Mynameismark* 11-15-2012 07:46 PM

Tragic news, but now people know how the deer feel.

Guns and humans, just not a good combo.

btw, this is defo not a "sport".

westernhome 11-15-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mynameismark (Post 55795683)
Tragic news, but now people know how the deer feel.

Guns and humans, just not a good combo.

btw, this is defo not a "sport".

yes, it is quite bloodthirsty when you think about it, if it was being done for survival it would be one thing and understandable, but to get enjoyment out of killing and make a hobby out of it is another

Ratty 11-15-2012 08:15 PM

Shame, Shame. Ban Hunting! Let the deer live and procreate.

BNHL 11-16-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty (Post 55796355)
Shame, Shame. Ban Hunting! Let the deer live and procreate.

In Canton.Ma there's a neighborhood which abuts the Blue Hills in which it is illegal to hunt that 12 out of 18 houses has people with Lyme disease.

Morris Wanchuk 11-16-2012 06:33 AM

People are allowed to have guns in Canada?

KnightofBoston 11-16-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk (Post 55805113)
People are allowed to have guns in Canada?

I think I hear patty charging toward his computer as we speak