HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   How would you market the NHL? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1283249)

Unknownbutfamous 11-14-2012 08:28 PM

How would you market the NHL?

For one of my classes, I was given an assignment to come up with a marketing plan for a sports organization. I thought it would be a good idea to do the NHL since Im so passionate about hockey. So if you could give me some ideas it would be great. So I ask how would you market the game if you were Gary Bettman? (Lets leave out the lockout, because that's obvious he needs to end the lockout soon)

My initial thoughts are to relocate some teams to better hockey markets, but to be realistic. Like you can't move the Islanders, because they just signed a new lease to play in Brooklyn, etc. I was thinking of relocating two of the least profitable teams on Forbes NHL team values (http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/), which are the Coyotes and the Blue Jackets. But what markets do you guys think could sustain this relocation? Maybe we should relocate more teams? I also think that a good idea would be to introduce street hockey heavily to urban. settings, because poor kids do not have a chance to play hockey in the US due to the cost of playing. A lot of people don't even know the rules of hockey, because they have never played it or a form of it (street hockey). I'd like to hear your opinions.

5cupstandard 11-14-2012 08:30 PM

chains and dark arenas:rant:

son of earl 11-14-2012 08:34 PM

I think you have to market ahl ncaa and jrs a lot more. You have to get people more involved so they can follow players and watch them grow and drafted ect.. Just like in the NBA and NFL college football is jsut as if not more popular then the NFL.

Unknownbutfamous 11-14-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by son of earl (Post 55774069)
I think you have to market ahl ncaa and jrs a lot more. You have to get people more involved so they can follow players and watch them grow and drafted ect.. Just like in the NBA and NFL college football is jsut as if not more popular then the NFL.

That is a great point. How would you go about doing this?

Melnyks Mirage 11-14-2012 08:39 PM

You start with NEON. LOTS OF IT.

Get your arenas DROWNING in neon.
Add some loud pop music, gyrating hotties (male and female) dancing around Gary Bettman. Bettman himself has these really big sunglasses and a satin suit.

The players don't enter the ice off their corridors but rather swing onto the ice off silk ropes, MORE cheerleaders wave them in. The puck is a bright GREEN colour to make it more easily visible. Goals scored generate spotlights on the unlucky goalie and LOSER by BECK echoes through the Arena.

Intermissions? Instead of subway or hotdogs, you shoot MONEY. About 10,000 USD in local currency wrapped around a sandwich. And you have a band at centre ice as well.
To make it more kid-friendly, BAKE SALES in the aisles! Brownies and cupcakes make the experience far more wholesome!

TV? Have the TV crews use LASER POINTERS on the players...just to get them off their game. Replace the Stanley Cup with....The SPONSOR CUP. Fill it full of whatever disgusting liquid is the flavour of the month.

:naughty::sarcasm:

candyman82 11-14-2012 08:44 PM

Well, you should probably start by taking Columbus off of the list of your relocated teams, they are legally bound to Nationwide Arena until 2039 due to their new lease deal.

Unknownbutfamous 11-14-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyman82 (Post 55774265)
Well, you should probably start by taking Columbus off of the list of your relocated teams, they are legally bound to Nationwide Arena until 2039 due to their new lease deal.

Thank you. Also, do you know how expensive it is to get out of NHL leases are?

candyman82 11-14-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous (Post 55774411)

I honestly don't know. In the case of Columbus, the sale of the arena from the team to Franklin County itself was contingent on the Blue Jackets remaining in the city until that point.

Buck Aki Berg 11-14-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous (Post 55774411)

An arm and a leg. Considering that such venues are essentially tailor-made for sports, leases go a long way towards keeping the arena in use and making money. If a team skips town, that's 41 dates that arena ownership now needs to go out and fill.

Of course there's always the exception to the rule such as the Sprint Center in KC that isn't actively seeking a tenant, as the building makes enough money off the concerts and shows that roll through, and not having to schedule around a sports team makes for added flexibility

Minnesota 11-14-2012 09:19 PM

I think your street hockey idea is pretty good. Hockey's accessibility and knowledge of the game is very limited in certain areas due to lots of factors (climate, culture, cost, lack of exposure).

Also, I'd market the hell out of smaller leagues like High School, NCAA, OHL, WHL, QMJHL, AHL. Getting kids interested in hockey is much easier if they have access to live games near their hometowns.

Jesus Vitale 11-14-2012 09:29 PM

Make the Mighty Ducks 4, with cameos by Ovechkin, Crosby, Selanne, and Shaq.

Muh 11-14-2012 09:38 PM

Have groups of players visit schools. Tell the kids their stories and teach them the game of hockey, as their phys ed teachers feature hockey as their block for that period of time. Hand out Tshirts, tickets or whatever it is that will get the kids interested. Who doesn't love free ****?

Easy to make an impression on a kid, especially as an athlete. Then, just hope they watch a few games and get hooked.

Edit: There are obviously exceptions, but it is tough to get teenagers/adults interested in a sport if they aren't interested already. Gotta start young and give these kids something to be a part of.

FinRuutu 11-14-2012 09:41 PM

With these...

Machinehead 11-14-2012 09:48 PM

They need to get more players. The NHL has plenty of fans. Popularity grows witht he players. I don't have to walk far to see a bunch of kids playing basketball, football, baseball. Now hockey, you don't see that everyday.

They have to get to the cities somehow. That's where the people are.

Now there's alot of fans in the big cities, but a large majority of the American players are coming suburban areas, especially in New York and Massechusetts. You're not gonna see any NHL players from Brooklyn, they're all from Rochester, Buffalo, and Syracuse.

That's why so many people were *****ing about having Drake as entertainment at the all-star game but I thought it was good for the sport to do something like that.

octopi 11-14-2012 10:05 PM

Forget family friendly, market the bone crunching hits and bloodied faces.

MMA lite. People go nuts for percieved badassery

son of earl 11-14-2012 10:08 PM

you have to get them on TV introduce video games for ncaa and jrs which they are already doing in the EA NHL games.

There is so much hockey around the world for them to be able to do this.

But main issue i see is the American name isn't to common in the NHL you get a lot of odd ball harder to pronounce names. So really marketing NCAA is were it needs to be.

Unknownbutfamous 11-14-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by octopi (Post 55776437)
Forget family friendly, market the bone crunching hits and bloodied faces.

MMA lite. People go nuts for percieved badassery

I agree.

What about football? Thats a game of brutality, but people watch that.

octopi 11-14-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous (Post 55776575)
I agree.

What about football? Thats a game of brutality, but people watch that.

That's actually a better format than MMA.

If we can get the brutality while keeping the "Heritage we can pass down to kids" aspect, bonus.

Unfortunately, hockey is usually an indoor game, which keeps seating more limited and ticket prices higher.

Scurr 11-14-2012 11:48 PM

I'd run the NHL like Dana White runs the UFC. Give the fans what they want. Make the stars the show. Give incentives for players and teams to be exciting. Profit.

DKQ 11-15-2012 12:01 AM

An alternative to the glamorous, exciting, sponsor-heavy image used by the NFL and the NBA, you could also market it like the MLB and have a large emphasis on team heritage and the all-time greats. I think it would be cool to be watching an NFL game and see a commercial come on telling the story of Bobby Baun's historic goal, or showing a clip of Mario scoring his 5 goals in 5 different ways.

Walkingthroughforest 11-15-2012 12:02 AM

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7732/jokikid.jpg

ZARTONK 11-15-2012 12:13 AM

I think one of the coolest thing about hockey ismthe fact that you poay on the ice and so, play at huge speeds compared to other major sports (sorry bobsled fans)

Thats what needs to be advertised, you need to show the bone crushing hits at great speeds.

It really is the best sport there is

ricky0034 11-15-2012 12:18 AM

it doesn't require as much of a time commitment as other sports

every time the cba expires you get a whole year off!

Mafoofoo 11-15-2012 02:09 AM

Advertise it as Mad Max on Skates.

I Hate Chris Butler 11-15-2012 04:39 AM

I'd force Crosby and Ovechkin down everyone's throat and then lock the players out at the peak of popularity to kill off any new fanbase.