HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What happened to Blair Betts? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1283285)

WonderTwinsUnite 11-14-2012 10:20 PM

What happened to Blair Betts?

Title says it all. Does he play hockey anymore? Why did he miss all last year?

Krishna 11-14-2012 10:39 PM

He was waived by the flyers and the Canadiens picked him up. They found that he still had shoulder problems that he had the season before and was returned to the flyers. He then went on LTIR and sat out the whole season.

He currently has no contract and must still be hurt if he didn't get a contract

WonderTwinsUnite 11-14-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 55775635)
He was waived by the flyers and the Canadiens picked him up. They found that he still had shoulder problems that he had the season before and was returned to the flyers. He then went on LTIR and sat out the whole season.

Bummer. I think he would be perfect in Vancouver. Malhotra - Betts - Weise 4th line... sexy.

Here's to his health!

FlyersFan61290 11-14-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 55775635)

I know he has chronic shoulder issues but I thought a knee injury was the problem.

Either way he's in the same position.

Beef Invictus 11-15-2012 12:48 AM

Yeah, his shoulder is basically ruined but I think it was his knee that made Montreal give him back

Flyotes 11-15-2012 08:59 AM

Guy is a warrior. Players like Betts are a lot of the reason I am a hockey fan. Hard working with little fan fare.

We could use another Betts-type or Jim Dowd-type for the 4th line.

dats81 11-15-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener (Post 55782123)
Guy is a warrior. Players like Betts are a lot of the reason I am a hockey fan. Hard working with little fan fare.

That's why Homer brought back Rusty Fedotenko. He is the prototype of the good soldier and on top of it he can contribute on the other end of the ice as well :D

MiamiScreamingEagles 11-15-2012 11:12 AM

Late last season and into the playoffs, he was tutoring some of the younger players. He (primarily with forwards) was with Derian Hatcher and Ian Laperriere coaching the Black Aces when extras were promoted from the Phantoms (AHL).

tuckrr 11-15-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener (Post 55782123)

was never a huge dowd fan, but IMO betts >> lappy
He gave everything for this club, and his energy/laying out during the PK helped inspire lappy to do the same.
true leader by example

TheDrizzle81 11-16-2012 01:00 PM

While I was working at Genuardis (RIP), I was stocking Chobani and he asked for a specific flavor. It was a Sunday so we could wear sports shirts and it was the morning of game 3 against Pitt. I have 5 player t's. Carcillo, B. Schenn, Read, Leighton and Betts. Just happened to be wearing his, and recognized who he was immediately. I took my hoodie off and showed him the shirt and he was beyond stunned. A. Someone knew who he was. B. Someone had his shirt on. Needless to say its signed and we've been friends since. Nice guy.

Crescent Street 11-16-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 (Post 55810085)
While I was working at Genuardis (RIP), I was stocking Chobani and he asked for a specific flavor. It was a Sunday so we could wear sports shirts and it was the morning of game 3 against Pitt. I have 5 player t's. Carcillo, B. Schenn, Read, Leighton and Betts. Just happened to be wearing his, and recognized who he was immediately. I took my hoodie off and showed him the shirt and he was beyond stunned. A. Someone knew who he was. B. Someone had his shirt on. Needless to say its signed and we've been friends since. Nice guy.

Really cool. Betts was awesome.

bp spec 11-16-2012 04:35 PM

Miss him, he would do good on our 4th line. One of my favorites the past seasons.

GKJ 11-16-2012 08:59 PM

Betts was a terrific 4th liner before his shoulders began to fail him, but whatever happened to his knee is still mysterious.

flyerfanish 11-17-2012 11:32 AM

He's still playing for the Flyers according to my sources at EA Sports. :sarcasm:
Apparently we got Pronger and Kubina back aswell :amazed:

Krishna 11-17-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanish (Post 55831499)
He's still playing for the Flyers according to my sources at EA Sports. :sarcasm:
Apparently we got Pronger and Kubina back aswell :amazed:

and Schenn and Grossmann are on the flyers minor league team :laugh:

MiamiScreamingEagles 11-19-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GKJ (Post 55822635)
Betts was a terrific 4th liner before his shoulders began to fail him, but whatever happened to his knee is still mysterious.

The most recent time? In the 2011 preseason, I'm pretty sure he took a slapper of the knee in a preseason game (against New Jersey?). I think he later said that he tried to downplay the severity.