HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Which Oiler #1 Is Most Likely to Underachieve? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1283327)

UsernameWasTaken 11-15-2012 01:13 AM

Which Oiler #1 Is Most Likely to Underachieve?

Just bc you're drafted #1 overall doesn't mean you'll eventually be the best player in your draft year.

Do you think all 3 of the Oiler #1s will carry the torch - or will one (or more) not be #1 over time?

HockeyThoughts 11-15-2012 01:15 AM

MacKinnon :sarcasm:

MastuhNinks 11-15-2012 01:17 AM

Well it's no slight against Hall but he was the only one who really had a rivalry for 1st overall pick (Seguin obviously), so if underachieve = not the best player in the draft, I'd go with him.

Bure All Day 11-15-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastuhNinks (Post 55779207)
Well it's no slight against Hall but he was the only one who really had a rivalry for 1st overall pick (Seguin obviously), so if underachieve = not the best player in the draft, I'd go with him.

this is what i was thinking, but i figured that being the 2nd best in the draft isn't that bad so i just voted they'll all be the best

UsernameWasTaken 11-15-2012 01:23 AM

Of all the Oiler Kids (and i'll incl. Eb, even though he wasn't a #1) - i think RNH not only has the highest ceiling but is also the safest bet (assuming he adds more muscle).

If Hall can use experience to curb his recklessness (and avoid injury) I'd put him #2 behind RNH. But one of those things were Seguin may end up better over all (doesn't have Hall's raw skill - but is more focussed and disciplined in his play).

Yakupov? Very deserved as the #1 overall in '12. He...and everyone else in that draft year...hasn't played in the NHL yet. But that year was more elite on D and I don't think for forwards there was a huge difference b/w Yakupov and the (very few) high end forwards in that year.

we'll see :dunno:

Sojourn 11-15-2012 01:23 AM

I think the only way Hall underachieves is if injuries slow him down.

Shinsuke Nakamura 11-15-2012 01:24 AM

Hall, but that's not a slight against him, just think he's most likely to.

Rhino Reilly 11-15-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojourn (Post 55779331)

My thinking aswell. If he puts his injuries behind him I think they'll all be 80+pt/year players.

eklunds source 11-15-2012 01:28 AM

Hall is already the best forward on the Oilers by a large margin at age 19... If he doesn't develop any further from now on, he's probably still going to be the best or 2nd best player from his draft class.

Nugent-Hopkins did very well in his first year, but he was extremely sheltered to start the year, only slowly moving into tougher assignments. Too early to say.

Yakupov hasn't played a single NHL game...

Hall won't underachieve (he's already 'achieving'), the other two we don't really have enough information on..

UsernameWasTaken 11-15-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MastuhNinks (Post 55779207)

I thought the rivalry b/w Hall/Seguin was way overblown - i think in '10 Hall was actually way ahead of Seguin...i don't think it was as close as ppl claimed it was. I'm not talking about them *now*...but back then I thought Hall looked way better (keep in mind that Hall had a late b-day...so in his draft yr. he was in his 3rd yr of jr. hockey, while seguin was in his 2nd).

2 yrs after the draft? seguin is the more technically proficient of the two players - even now he doesn't have the "drive" on ice that Hall has - but Seguin also doesn't play stupid at all either - S isn't the most passionate guy you'll see out there (nor should anyone expect someone who is 20 to be overly passionate) - but he's really good at keeping his game in check and staying disciplined.

topic? RNH seems like the quietest "kid" on the team...but i just get the sense he's the one they'll ultimately be most thankful for.

Registered User 11-15-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bure All Day (Post 55779243)
this is what i was thinking, but i figured that being the 2nd best in the draft isn't that bad so i just voted they'll all be the best

I'd vote Hall if I knew what I was talking about. No troll (newish fan here) but can someone explain to me what makes Hall such a blue chip prospect? I'm trying to appreciate him but from the few games I've watched, he's got great speed and an above average wristshot...and not much else that stands out.

Let me know where I'm off-base: he's a below average playmaker, has average vision, stick handling, and passing ability, and he's not particularly good at dekes/skating laterally, etc. I watched a few highlights online and many of his goals seem to be either cleaning up rebounds around the net or a straight wristshot on a breakaway with no fake. He doesn't seem to create space and offense for others with any other talent besides speed.

I haven't seen enough to get a sense of his defensive play and "intangibles" and I certainly didn't watch him in junior when he was dominant.

He's basically a faster version of Marleau with slightly higher upside. Would Hall be considered a successful draft pick if he had, by the end of his career, Marleau's numbers and ability (leaving aside guts, clutch play, leadership)? Would he have reached his potential?

My SO is an Edmontonian so I want to like Hall, but Eberle seems like he plays at an entirely different level...though I realize the age difference and injuries.

Sky04 11-15-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eklunds source (Post 55779395)
Hall is already the best forward on the Oilers by a large margin at age 19... If he doesn't develop any further from now on, he's probably still going to be the best or 2nd best player from his draft class.

Nugent-Hopkins did very well in his first year, but he was extremely sheltered to start the year, only slowly moving into tougher assignments. Too early to say.

Yakupov hasn't played a single NHL game...

Hall won't underachieve (he's already 'achieving'), the other two we don't really have enough information on..

He hasn't even put up 30 goals or a ppg yet, large margin? proves yet again how reliable "eklunds source" is.

Eberle is better right now anyways.

kingsboy11 11-15-2012 01:39 AM

I voted hall based only on his past injuries. If he can get past those he will be a great player.

WTFetus 11-15-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky04 (Post 55779519)
Eberle is better right now anyways.

Only in point totals. It was clear who was the better player when Hall was out.

TheJuxtaposer 11-15-2012 02:42 AM

Hall.

I'm not saying this because I think he'll be the worst of the kids. I love Hall, I think he'll be the best of the big4 forwards, maybe tied with Nugent-Hopkins. But he's the only one who has a player who is close to him in Seguin. I don't think anyone catches RNH, and I don't think anyone catches Yakupov.

Moore Money 11-15-2012 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojourn (Post 55779331)

Agree, and I think there is a good chance of that happening. He's wreckless and always putting himself in vulnerable positions. The young Oilers will have targets on their backs, if they don't already, so he needs to smarten up.

If he stays healthy, I have no doubt he will be great.

Sky04 11-15-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 55780173)
Only in point totals. It was clear who was the better player when Hall was out.

not really, unless you highly value being faster and having a higher draft position.

Eberle was producing just as well without Hall or RNH all season long, at this point in their careers he's the better player, Hall is still to raw. So I don't get your point there?

Eberle is smarter, better defensively, has a better shot, a much better passer. Hall is the better power play player but Eberle is MUCH better at ES, you can chop it all up as "it's just point totals" but all the things I listed go into production, no surprise Eberle's ppg is higher then Hall's also given those factors.

PG Canuck 11-15-2012 03:08 AM

Hall because I think he'll be battling injuries for the majority of his career.

lakai17 11-15-2012 03:08 AM

They all will be the best from their draft years and if one isn't, which is unlikely, it will be Hall and not because of injuries but due to the other future superstars drafted in the same year in 2010.

Qrispy 11-15-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sky04 (Post 55780269)
not really, unless you highly value being faster and having a higher draft position.

Eberle was producing just as well without Hall or RNH all season long, at this point in their careers he's the better player, Hall is still to raw. So I don't get your point there?

Eberle is smarter, better defensively, has a better shot, a much better passer. Hall is the better power play player but Eberle is MUCH better at ES, you can chop it all up as "it's just point totals" but all the things I listed go into production, no surprise Eberle's ppg is higher then Hall's also given those factors.

Eberle has Hall beat in the raw talent department but Hall is the better player. This is coming from an Oilers fan.

Henrik To Daniel 11-15-2012 03:50 AM

Hall. I think he's going to be one of those "What if?" kind of players

Sky04 11-15-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakuBOT (Post 55780489)
Eberle has Hall beat in the raw talent department but Hall is the better player. This is coming from an Oilers fan.

I feel its the other way but that's just my opinion.

InjuredChoker 11-15-2012 04:59 AM

If it's someone it's Hall imo. Because

1) Playing style, injury issues (though I think it has been exaggerated)
2) That draft seems so good, 11' was good too, but RNH seems more 'safe', and 12' was shallow on F, heavy on D. And it's sooo early to say anything about 12' draft. Maybe Grigorenko tears it apart, who knows.
3) Hockey IQ, Hall has speed, but I don't think he'll be as likely to be effective player in he's 30s when he slows down.

mytor4* 11-15-2012 06:03 AM

Well if underachieve is meaning not being the best player out of his draft yr than i have to say Yak because i believe there's a very good chance that one of Gally,Reilly or Grigs or all end up being better or have a better career.

LPH 11-15-2012 06:27 AM

I'll say hall, maybe Yakupov, but it's far too early to know.