HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Murray Underrated.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1283371)

KEEROLE Vatanen 11-15-2012 01:03 AM

Murray Underrated....

I see people suggesting Morgan Reilly is better and/or will be better.....I just don't see it, Murray could step into the NHL right now and hold his own, people seem to have a cap on Murray's upside which I honestly think is dumb, anytime you have a defensemen with his IQ you have a chance to be special, that's not to say Reilly sucks but people overrate style and flash to much

I don't see Reinhart on that level either, calm and cool is more effective than flash and dash.....

WasTeD 11-15-2012 01:05 AM

Just because a few people say Rielly is better doesn't somehow make Murray 'underrated'. Most of us know how good he is and why he went before Rielly in the draft...

Sojourn 11-15-2012 01:05 AM

Maybe under-appreciated a bit. I think Columbus will be very happy with Murray. He is the type of player who can very quietly be your best player.

The Beyonder 11-15-2012 01:42 AM

Murray, plain and simple, is genius on skates. The guy is one heck of a smart player. I think Rielly is the kind of player everybody notices because of his playing style, which shouldn't be held against him because he's an amazing player, while Murray plays the game cerebrally and calmly. Murray's hockey IQ is through the frigging roof though. Who knows where these players will be 5 years from now, but with that said, IMO, I think Rielly has a bit of a higher ceiling based on his dynamic offensively ability combined with his hockey IQ but I think Murray has far higher chance at reaching his ceiling.

Also, I don't think Murray is underrated in HF at all.

Exit Dose 11-15-2012 01:45 AM

No one should be crowning someone a better player, especially a defenseman, within months of the draft.

AngelDuck 11-15-2012 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Dose (Post 55780221)
No one should be crowning someone a better player, especially a defenseman, within months of the draft.

Why not?

Exit Dose 11-15-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelDuck (Post 55780231)
Why not?

What you see right now isn't necessarily what you'll be seeing three to five years from now.

The Nuge 11-15-2012 01:48 AM

Reilly is certainly better offensively, but that's different than him being a better defenseman, or Murray being underrated. Murray will never be a 50 point dman, but he'll definitely be a solid 2 way dman

DKQ 11-15-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 55780245)
Reilly is certainly better offensively, but that's different than him being a better defenseman, or Murray being underrated. Murray will never be a 50 point dman, but he'll definitely be a solid 2 way dman

If Columbus gets some forwards that can put the puck in the net and Murray develops smoothly I could see him hitting 50. He has underrated playmaking abilities, a very solid shot and is great at moving the puck.

Kurdt Kobain 11-15-2012 01:57 AM

As a Leaf fan I “have to“ like Rielly the most, but in all seriousness, I think Murray is the clear cut better player between the two. As mentioned, his hockey IQ is sky high.. and he just.. he oozes the type of player that everyone wants on their team.

If I had the first overall pick in 2012, no matter what team I was, Murray would be chosen. Not knocking Nail, but I just am not 100% sold on him just yet. If I got to see him play, and not just highlights, I might change my mind... probably not though.

The Nuge 11-15-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn (Post 55780281)
If Columbus gets some forwards that can put the puck in the net and Murray develops smoothly I could see him hitting 50. He has underrated playmaking abilities, a very solid shot and is great at moving the puck.

It takes a damn good defenseman to hit 50. I've watched Murray lots (including live). He isn't quite that dynamic offensively. That's not to say he isn't good, he is. I see him more as an extremely reliable dman who can handle himself in all zones and I'm guessing he hits 30-40 points most years, but not what you'd call elite offensively

shortshorts 11-15-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn (Post 55780281)

I don't think people understand how difficult 50points is for a defensemen..

50 points is difficult for a offensive minded defensemen..

30 point solid defense is enough to put you in the top 30 defensemen in the league.

Think Hamhuis production and defense. (note: not necessarily the same play style)

AJMHABS 11-15-2012 02:39 AM

Murray is the best defenseman of the 2012 daft, hands down. He is so smart in his defensive play and he has high IQ. The reason he may be underrated or unapprieciated is because he does everything very good, but he doesn't have an elite quality, while Rielly has elite offensive skills.

Nash 11-15-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exit Dose (Post 55780239)
What you see right now isn't necessarily what you'll be seeing three to five years from now.

Agreed. In the deepest draft in the last 20 years, 2003, there were arguments over who got the best D. Suter, Coburn and Phaneuf went 7-9. Seabrook, Burns, Stuart and Belle all went in round 1. 6 more D went in the second round before 49th overall, Shea Weber was selected. Who would you consider the best right now?

It's hard to believe he was the third Nashville D and fourth pick taken that year after Suter and Klein. Add in Sultzer as a 6/7 D from that Draft and Nashville basically built their core D in one single draft...crazy.

Nash 11-15-2012 03:19 AM

The top pick of D is never guaranteed to be the top D of the draft. D take longer to develop. These are 5 recent drafts on top of 2003, which I already discussed.

3. Cam Barker
29. Mike Green

3. Jack Johnson
62. Kris Letang

1. Erik Johnson
No other D in the first round has even played 35 NHL games. Absolutely horrible draft year for D.

4. Thomas Hickey
12. Ryan MacDonagh
43. P.K. Subban

2. Drew Doughty
4. Alex Pietrangelo
15. Erik Karlsson

So no one should become indignant or offended if other people don't project Murray as the top D of this draft. While he may have been the most NHL ready at the draft, I tend to agree that Rielly looks far more dynamic to me as well and could be the steal of the draft. With 8 D in the top 10, it is a higher probability that one of them will develop more than Murray than other draft years.

Nikita Filatov 11-15-2012 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortshorts (Post 55780545)
I don't think people understand how difficult 50points is for a defensemen..

50 points is difficult for a offensive minded defensemen..

30 point solid defense is enough to put you in the top 30 defensemen in the league.

Think Hamhuis production and defense. (note: not necessarily the same play style)

Well considering that's the comparison I see fly around the most I don't think you're too far off :D

KEEROLE Vatanen 11-15-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMHABS (Post 55780615)
Murray is the best defenseman of the 2012 daft, hands down. He is so smart in his defensive play and he has high IQ. The reason he may be underrated or unapprieciated is because he does everything very good, but he doesn't have an elite quality, while Rielly has elite offensive skills.

His brain is elite

tony d 11-15-2012 07:40 AM

I agree. The guy is under-rated. I think he'll develop into one of the better defensemen in this draft.

The Podium 11-15-2012 08:05 AM

Its Suter vs. Karlsson in essence. One shouldnt be ranked higher than the other, however one is much more noticeable than the other. I prefer Reilly as i like players who take risks. Murray is too safe and too simple, sometimes its painful to watch.

The Saurus 11-15-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisx101 (Post 55782195)
Its Suter vs. Karlsson in essence. One shouldnt be ranked higher than the other, however one is much more noticeable than the other. I prefer Reilly as i like players who take risks. Murray is too safe and too simple, sometimes its painful to watch.

If Ryan Murray reaches his potential, he's the kind of player that'll hold down the fort with a minute remaining in a game seven, protecting a one goal lead.

His style isn't painful at all. If Murray reaches his potential, he'll be a top five d-man in the NHL.

worraps 11-15-2012 08:28 AM

I think Murray will be a very good pro but when it is all said and done, I think Rielly will be remembered as the better player at his peak. Over a 15 year career Murray may be better.

Rielly will likely enter the NHL as one of its best skaters. He can move a puck like no one else in his age group.

Murray isn't as flashy but he'll quietly get the job done for years. The $98 million man Ryan Suter is a good comparable.

BruinsBtn 11-15-2012 08:36 AM

If the Islanders where willing to give up every pick in the draft to move up two spots, I think it's pretty clear cut who the best defenseman prospect is.

Also, Murray's offensive stats are at least as impressive as Rielly this year.

The Podium 11-15-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Saurus (Post 55782509)
If Ryan Murray reaches his potential, he's the kind of player that'll hold down the fort with a minute remaining in a game seven, protecting a one goal lead.

His style isn't painful at all. If Murray reaches his potential, he'll be a top five d-man in the NHL.

Meant painfully boring:laugh: Hes just so invisible all the time!

The Podium 11-15-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsBtn (Post 55782609)
If the Islanders where willing to give up every pick in the draft to move up two spots, I think it's pretty clear cut who the best defenseman prospect is.

Also, Murray's offensive stats are at least as impressive as Rielly this year.

Draft pedigree and pre-draft rankings are worthless especially considering Rielly was drafted base on ~20 games. Also if your going by stats as a way to compare their offence then your just looking for an excuse to bash Rielly considering Rielly is almost half a year younger, with only 1 full season of junior development vs 3, and has clearly better offensive tools.

Broad Street Elite 11-15-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruinsBtn (Post 55782609)

I'm not sure that anyone should base an assessment on "What would Garth Snow do?".

Let's also remember that Rielly was drafted by one of the more scrutinized, supported, talked-about franchises in the league. While that is taking nothing away from Rielly the player (who I believe to be a special offensive talent on the backend), a premiere prospect in Toronto will always receive more "chatter" than the same caliber prospect in CBus.