HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Nathan Horton next contact (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1283395)

LEAFANFORLIFE23 11-15-2012 07:43 AM

Nathan Horton next contact
 
How much does Horton get on the open market? you gotta think the 6-2 230 pound winger will get a TON of interest if the season is wiped out and he hits UFA

I would LOVE to see him with JVR and grabovski but the question is how much do you invest on him in free agency?

nmbr_24 11-15-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 55781457)
How much does Horton get on the open market? you gotta think the 6-2 230 pound winger will get a TON of interest if the season is wiped out and he hits UFA

I would LOVE to see him with JVR and grabovski but the question is how much do you invest on him in free agency?

It really depends on what he does if there is a season.

If he is the same player as he was before his injury and he actually makes it to UFA, my guess is that he will easily get $5 million and depending on how many players are available that have the potential to score 30 goals in a season, he could get more.

If there is no season, I have no idea but I bet somebody would take a chance if the Bruins didn't re-sign him.

I also have a hunch that the Bruins will re-sign him either way.

1972 11-15-2012 08:10 AM

north of $5 per

Tim Vezina Thomas 11-15-2012 09:28 AM

Yeah I see no way he goes anywhere but Boston, unless he has disturbingly large money demands. I see around 5-5.5 for Nathan, given his injury history and production over the last couple years.

Hes also BFFs with Lucic, highly doubt hed want to go anywhere else.

1972 11-15-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas (Post 55782515)
Yeah I see no way he goes anywhere but Boston, unless he has disturbingly large money demands. I see around 5-5.5 for Nathan, given his injury history and production over the last couple years.

Hes also BFFs with Lucic, highly doubt hed want to go anywhere else.

I think he stays a Bruin but if Boston offers 4 @ 16m and a team like the leafs offer 5 @ 25 I think he would leave.

Luck 6 11-15-2012 09:44 AM

Hard to guess on this considering we don't know what the cap will be. Under the old CBA, I bet he gets 6 years at 6mil per. People seem to overpay for powerforwards who can score, Horton is exactly that.

cashman rules* 11-15-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Regier (Post 55782589)
I think he stays a Bruin but if Boston offers 4 @ 16m and a team like the leafs offer 5 @ 25 I think he would leave.

Toronto would be the last place he would sign!

IceDaddy 11-15-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas (Post 55782515)
Yeah I see no way he goes anywhere but Boston, unless he has disturbingly large money demands. I see around 5-5.5 for Nathan, given his injury history and production over the last couple years.

Hes also BFFs with Lucic, highly doubt hed want to go anywhere else.

Im sure he does want to stay in Boston but if another teams offers him a ridiculous contract, he will take it.

Oates2Neely 11-15-2012 09:51 AM

IF the season plays out and Horton is back to his usual self, Id say a fair number would be 5 or 5.5m for 3yrs. He loves Boston, Boston loves him..perfect fit, plus he plays 'tougher' knowing Lucic has his back. IMO Horton stays in Boston.

1972 11-15-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman rules (Post 55782727)
Toronto would be the last place he would sign!

just using them as an example.. I think he would sign with a team in the northeast.

don 11-15-2012 10:01 AM

To many uknowns at this time. Ask again after we see him play AND after the new CBA.

Tim Vezina Thomas 11-15-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Regier (Post 55782589)
I think he stays a Bruin but if Boston offers 4 @ 16m and a team like the leafs offer 5 @ 25 I think he would leave.

Boston will offer more than 4 mil a year if they want to retain him, Chiarelli gives all of his players raises and Horton makes 4 now.

Plus, Horton likely wont get to free agency to give the Leafs the opportunity. If Horton can prove hes healthy Chiarelli will try to re sign him asap. If Horton gets to free agency hes likely as good as gone. People would definitely overpay for a player like him.

Tim Vezina Thomas 11-15-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsRock (Post 55782745)
Im sure he does want to stay in Boston but if another teams offers him a ridiculous contract, he will take it.

Oh he will? How do you know this? You know, people sometimes take less money to stay in a place they WANT to be.

Horton loves Boston, loves the team, plays his best with Lucic and Chara on the ice, and has a very good shot at winning more Stanley Cups.

Like I said before, I highly doubt he leaves, unless his money demands are just ridiculous. If he wants Lucic money, be my guest and leave via UFA.

1972 11-15-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas (Post 55783205)
Oh he will? How do you know this? You know, people sometimes take less money to stay in a place they WANT to be.

Horton loves Boston, loves the team, plays his best with Lucic and Chara on the ice, and has a very good shot at winning more Stanley Cups.

Like I said before, I highly doubt he leaves, unless his money demands are just ridiculous. If he wants Lucic money, be my guest and leave via UFA.

Parise loved NJ, Briere loved Buffalo, Suter loved NSH, Richards loved Dallas... Campbell loved Buffalo. Players chase money it happens all the time.

IceDaddy 11-15-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas (Post 55783205)
Oh he will? How do you know this? You know, people sometimes take less money to stay in a place they WANT to be.

Horton loves Boston, loves the team, plays his best with Lucic and Chara on the ice, and has a very good shot at winning more Stanley Cups.

Like I said before, I highly doubt he leaves, unless his money demands are just ridiculous. If he wants Lucic money, be my guest and leave via UFA.

I dont know much about him to be honest but I will bet there is 1 thing he loves more than all you mentioned. That is money.

if the offer is close then sure he stays in Boston, if its alot, He'll be gone.

T-Funk 11-15-2012 11:37 AM

by telephone!

no wait, fax!

Luck 6 11-15-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas (Post 55782963)
Boston will offer more than 4 mil a year if they want to retain him, Chiarelli gives all of his players raises and Horton makes 4 now.

Plus, Horton likely wont get to free agency to give the Leafs the opportunity. If Horton can prove hes healthy Chiarelli will try to re sign him asap. If Horton gets to free agency hes likely as good as gone. People would definitely overpay for a player like him.

Horton would certainly love to stay in Boston, and why shouldn't he? He has a good thing going there. But, assuming there's a season with all things being equal, Horton has a salary of 5.5mil this year. I highly doubt he wants to drop from that. Under the old CBA I'm certain he'd accept a 6 year front loaded contract from Boston for around that cap hit. 7m, 7m, 5m, 5m, 4m, 4m (5.33mil cap hit).

Now, under the new CBA, players are likely looking at a salary roll back. Horton may decide he doesn't want to take less than what he's worth now to offset that, who knows. In which case, he may demand a 5 year contract at around 5.75mil-6mil per season. This is all speculation on my part, but I feel upcoming UFAs will likely look to maximize contract values after this lockout to compensate for salary lost. I doubt they'll be as inclined to give out hometown discounts. Maybe Horton is different and this doesn't apply directly to him, but its certainly a trend I think we should all expect.

Tim Vezina Thomas 11-15-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsRock (Post 55784193)
I dont know much about him to be honest but I will bet there is 1 thing he loves more than all you mentioned. That is money.

if the offer is close then sure he stays in Boston, if its alot, He'll be gone.

And again, you or I have no clue what he wants/doesnt want, so your post means nothing, and saying things like "he likes money more" and "he'll be gone" is just completely absurd.

The whole, "player X left for more money so player Y could too" argument, which is always a possibility, I guess. Bottom line is, you have 0 clue whether Horton would go to team X offering 6.5 a year or Boston offering 5.5 a year, because neither of us know whats going on in his head.

All we know is, he loves Boston and everything that comes with it, and he has a very good chance to compete for Cups for the remainder of his career. His friends are here, hes played great hockey here, and could feasibly get a good contract here. Judging by his interviews/various comments about the city/everything that comes with it, I will be genuinely surprised if he doesnt re sign in Boston.

I also referred to this in my first post with "if his money demands are ridiculously too high then I don't see him leaving," so I dont see why this is an issue.

Tim Vezina Thomas 11-15-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Regier (Post 55783509)
Parise loved NJ, Briere loved Buffalo, Suter loved NSH, Richards loved Dallas... Campbell loved Buffalo. Players chase money it happens all the time.

So your argument is that "its happened before so it could happen to Horton?" Great stuff there. All I said was I highly doubt he'll leave Boston, except if his money demands are egregiously outlandish.

Judging by his interviews/comments over his time here about how much he loves the city and everything that comes with it, I highly doubt hed leave and go chase the cash elsewhere when the Bruins assumingly would offer him a reasonable deal and a chance to win.

Simplified, if Horton receives a "fair" deal by his estimation, I highly doubt hed leave to go to a random team strictly for extra cash. Not to mention, Chiarelli has been known to "overpay" his players a tad, so I'm sure if he remains here he'll be happy as a clam with his salary.

You are right tho, granted, I don't know whats going on in Hortons head, all I have is my opinion based on what I've seen/read. Take that for what its worth.

Tim Vezina Thomas 11-15-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck 6 (Post 55784809)
Horton would certainly love to stay in Boston, and why shouldn't he? He has a good thing going there. But, assuming there's a season with all things being equal, Horton has a salary of 5.5mil this year. I highly doubt he wants to drop from that. Under the old CBA I'm certain he'd accept a 6 year front loaded contract from Boston for around that cap hit. 7m, 7m, 5m, 5m, 4m, 4m (5.33mil cap hit).

Now, under the new CBA, players are likely looking at a salary roll back. Horton may decide he doesn't want to take less than what he's worth now to offset that, who knows. In which case, he may demand a 5 year contract at around 5.75mil-6mil per season. This is all speculation on my part, but I feel upcoming UFAs will likely look to maximize contract values after this lockout to compensate for salary lost. I doubt they'll be as inclined to give out hometown discounts. Maybe Horton is different and this doesn't apply directly to him, but its certainly a trend I think we should all expect.

You're right, good post. I'm gonna stay away from the CBA talk, you seem like more of an expert than me :laugh:

I'm basing my opinion off of what I've seen/read, and Horton doesn't seem (key word there, I dont actually know) to want to leave. Also, if Boston offers him 5.5 a year, do we REALLY think a team is gonna go 7 mil for him? Eesh, I doubt that.

My opinion is speculation, but its not baseless speculation. Horton seems to love being a Bruin, and Chiarelli has been known to give his core players (of which Horton is one) favorable deals. If Chiarelli wants Horton, I feel comfortable wagering Horton will get a fair enough deal to not want to go "chase the cash."

LEAFANFORLIFE23 11-15-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas (Post 55786039)
You're right, good post. I'm gonna stay away from the CBA talk, you seem like more of an expert than me :laugh:

I'm basing my opinion off of what I've seen/read, and Horton doesn't seem (key word there, I dont actually know) to want to leave. Also, if Boston offers him 5.5 a year, do we REALLY think a team is gonna go 7 mil for him? Eesh, I doubt that.

My opinion is speculation, but its not baseless speculation. Horton seems to love being a Bruin, and Chiarelli has been known to give his core players (of which Horton is one) favorable deals. If Chiarelli wants Horton, I feel comfortable wagering Horton will get a fair enough deal to not want to go "chase the cash."

Buffalo went 7.5 for doan so ya I bet they go 7 for horton

Henrik To Daniel 11-15-2012 12:57 PM

I don't see him sticking around in Boston. He has already won a Cup and there will be teams who have more cap space than the Bruins. He's probably going to want to cash in because he's in the prime of his career

Tim Vezina Thomas 11-15-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 (Post 55786161)
Buffalo went 7.5 for doan so ya I bet they go 7 for horton

And Doan took far less money to stay in the city he wanted to stay in ........

Like the others, your argument is "player X did it so player Y could too." If this argument gets used, what the hell is the point of this thread?

Its speculation, but at least my argument isnt based upon an argument of "someone else doing it so Horton could do it too." Horton loves Boston and Chiarelli pays his players well...doesnt exactly sound like a situation where hed high tail it out of here for extra cash, especially if that meant signing in Buffalo...

Tim Vezina Thomas 11-15-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel (Post 55786343)
I don't see him sticking around in Boston. He has already won a Cup and there will be teams who have more cap space than the Bruins. He's probably going to want to cash in because he's in the prime of his career

Just like Lucic, Seguin, Krejci, Bergeron, and Marchand?

Bruins will have plenty of cap space when Thomas is off the books. Savards not even on IR yet either. Depends on the CBA obviously tho (implied at this point I think).

LEAFANFORLIFE23 11-15-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas (Post 55786387)
And Doan took far less money to stay in the city he wanted to stay in ........

Like the others, your argument is "player X did it so player Y could too." If this argument gets used, what the hell is the point of this thread?

Its speculation, but at least my argument isnt based upon an argument of "someone else doing it so Horton could do it too." Horton loves Boston and Chiarelli pays his players well...doesnt exactly sound like a situation where hed high tail it out of here for extra cash, especially if that meant signing in Buffalo...

you did say you doubted a team would go to 7 so thats why I mentioned buffalo


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.