HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Toews and Concussion symptoms (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1283491)

billybudd 11-15-2012 02:28 PM

Toews and Concussion symptoms
 
Full article behind paywall

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...ally-feels-100


Quote:


Jonathan Toews wasn't fully recovered from a concussion when he played during last season's playoffs.

The Blackhawks captain wasn't 100 percent healed in July. Or October. In fact, it wasn't until late last week that Toews was convinced he's completely over the concussion that caused him to miss the final two months of the 2011-12 regular season before he returned in the postseason against the Coyotes.

While Toews was symptom-free and had cleared all the NHL-imposed concussion protocols before returning to the Hawks' lineup, there were lingering effects from the injury that even the 24-year-old center didn't realize were affecting him. They included balance and eyesight issues that were discovered and solved during a five-day stint at an Atlanta-area chiropractic neurology facility last week.
Bolded part means he's seeing Ted Carrick, who a lot of neurologists and even a lot of other Chiros think is a quack.

Carrick's the guy who got Sidney Crosby back on the ice for about a week, then the symptoms came back until he saw a California vertebral specialist who found the (more likely) cause of his chronic balance issues and headaches--a dislocation of one of the bones in his neck.

In my opinion, Toews should skip out on spinning around in a space machine (one of Carrick's techniques) and ask Sid for the phone number of the neck guy, just in case.


Edit: Add Claude Giroux to the list of NHL players seeing a witch doctor for head and neck injuries

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/86...ue-neck-injury

digdug41982 11-15-2012 02:31 PM

Yeah, Toews needs to get it figured out during this time off. He still plays well injured but obviously it is not safe.

Chris Hansen 11-15-2012 04:31 PM

At least now we know why he's been acting like such a clown during this lockout.

stug* 11-15-2012 04:34 PM

Good that he has money atleast. Because he sure doesn´t care about hockey.

And by the way, i hope the club is not paying for his doctors.

DBS 11-15-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 55792381)
At least now we know why he's been acting like such a clown during this lockout.

Between that, his dating bimbos and now this, he clearly isn't quite as sharp as he's been portrayed to be.

Chris Hansen 11-15-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBR (Post 55793257)
Between that, his dating bimbos and now this, he clearly isn't quite as sharp as he's been portrayed to be.

Toews is a very smart guy.

Smart people can act stupidly, unfortunately.

And I'm a Hawks fan.

DBS 11-15-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 55793405)
Toews is a very smart guy.

Smart people can act stupidly, unfortunately.

And I'm a Hawks fan.

I like Toews so watching him do stupid things, particularly his comments on the lockout, have been disappointing. A lot of the players are coming as out of touch *******s, essentially (and some of them even felt the need to contribute some "colourful" election commentary. Oh jeez, I knew that hockey players were not the brightest but still...Twitter is not making them look very good.

Vladys Gumption 11-15-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBR (Post 55793573)
I like Toews so watching him do stupid things, particularly his comments on the lockout, have been disappointing. A lot of the players are coming as out of touch *******s, essentially (and some of them even felt the need to contribute some "colourful" election commentary. Oh jeez, I knew that hockey players were not the brightest but still...Twitter is not making them look very good.

Hold on a second. Why shouldn't they be able to express their opinions on the election? That's just rediculous to say.

DBS 11-15-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 (Post 55794553)
Hold on a second. Why shouldn't they be able to express their opinions on the election? That's just rediculous to say.

Well, they can express their comments on they want. In a civilized and balanced manner, they might come as intelligent and informed, regardless of partnership. However, if you go off on a rant like Donald Trump, how can anyone look smart when they do that?

King In The North 11-15-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBR (Post 55794733)
Well, they can express their comments on they want. In a civilized and balanced manner, they might come as intelligent and informed, regardless of partnership. However, if you go off on a rant like Donald Trump, how can anyone look smart when they do that?

What has Toews said exactly?

DBS 11-15-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLaDOS (Post 55794873)
What has Toews said exactly?

Toews hasn't said anything about politics, just the lockout (after all, he's not even American)

eklunds source 11-15-2012 08:01 PM

HFBoards flow chart:

Are you a hockey player? If yes,
Have you ever voiced an opinion on twitter that is not universally accepted as fact or could possibly be construed as such? If yes,

...someone will hate you mercilessly until the end of your life.

hockeydoug 11-15-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 55792381)
At least now we know why he's been acting like such a clown during this lockout.

haha, my thoughts exactly.

I can give him a pass if his brain was injured. I wish he skipped the charity event now though. Something about Burish, Eager, and Carcillo on the ice with him makes me uncomfortable thinking about it.

Vladys Gumption 11-16-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBR (Post 55794733)
Well, they can express their comments on they want. In a civilized and balanced manner, they might come as intelligent and informed, regardless of partnership. However, if you go off on a rant like Donald Trump, how can anyone look smart when they do that?

It's called free speech man. They are entitled to go on a rant if they want. Don't tell me you haven't had a moment when you said something that was rediculous when you were mad. Everybody does it, especially when it's something that you thnk is really important and you're frustrated with the outcome.

Chris Hansen 11-16-2012 01:29 AM

It doesn't really matter, but it's a bit shocking how few Americans genuinely understand what "free speech" actually means.

Playerwinner 11-16-2012 01:47 AM

Very unfortunate that another great player has concussion symptoms.

DBS 11-16-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 (Post 55803355)
It's called free speech man. They are entitled to go on a rant if they want. Don't tell me you haven't had a moment when you said something that was ridiculous when you were mad. Everybody does it, especially when it's something that you thnk is really important and you're frustrated with the outcome.

Why does free speech mean that speech is immune from judgment? That is not what free speech means. Free speech also means, when you say something stupid, people can call you out on it.

King'sPawn 11-16-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 (Post 55803355)
It's called free speech man. They are entitled to go on a rant if they want. Don't tell me you haven't had a moment when you said something that was rediculous when you were mad. Everybody does it, especially when it's something that you thnk is really important and you're frustrated with the outcome.

Technically, free speech protects you from government retaliation for expressing thoughts and opinions... unless of course that thought/opinion does violate the law (for example, you can't run into a movie theater and yell "FIRE!" or make libelous statements... which is actually why mods are kept very busy on these very boards).

Freedom of speech isn't absolute freedom. But that isn't here nor there.

The point is that private citizens like you and me are "free" to think that Toews should sound more informed before expressing his opinion. I could write him a letter and tell him to shut up until he gets an accounting degree. I'm still not taking away his freedom of speech. It would only be a violation if the government tried to stop him.

FakeKidPoker* 11-16-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 55793405)
Toews is a very smart guy.

Smart people can act stupidly, unfortunately.

And I'm a Hawks fan.

I don't think so

DisgruntledHawkFan 11-16-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stug (Post 55792443)
Good that he has money atleast. Because he sure doesn´t care about hockey.

And by the way, i hope the club is not paying for his doctors.

What?

darglor 11-16-2012 03:21 PM

Toews was my favourite hawk before this lockout... now he's not even in the top 5. Better to let people think you're stupid than to open your mouth and prove it, I guess. What's even worse is that no one thought he was stupid beforehand!

craigcaulks* 11-16-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hansen (Post 55793405)
Smart people can act stupidly, unfortunately.

And I'm a Hawks fan.

Must resist urge to point out the.....

puckmelongtime 11-17-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybudd (Post 55789763)
Full article behind paywall

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...ally-feels-100




Bolded part means he's seeing Ted Carrick, who a lot of neurologists and even a lot of other Chiros think is a quack.

Carrick's the guy who got Sidney Crosby back on the ice for about a week, then the symptoms came back until he saw a California vertebral specialist who found the (more likely) cause of his chronic balance issues and headaches--a dislocation of one of the bones in his neck.

In my opinion, Toews should skip out on spinning around in a space machine (one of Carrick's techniques) and ask Sid for the phone number of the neck guy, just in case.


Edit: haven't seen a thread about this, so if there is one, just roll this post in with it.

I think he already saw the doctor in California during the summer.

SimplySensational 11-17-2012 04:25 PM

It really speaks volumes to the demeanor of Crosby and Toews if they are seeing a quack because I just can't see how any team doctors would allow this to happen.

billybudd 11-17-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberation (Post 55838571)
It really speaks volumes to the demeanor of Crosby and Toews if they are seeing a quack because I just can't see how any team doctors would allow this to happen.

To be fair to those two, Toews may not even have a team doctor at the moment and Crosby's team doctor was an old surgeon who specializes in knee surgeries and back pain in his private practice, who probably didn't know anything about concussions (edit: he's since been fired).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.