HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Cam Ward or Carey Price (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1283577)

Puckgenius* 11-15-2012 07:24 PM

Cam Ward or Carey Price

Whos better? Ward for me because of his playoff stats

OmniSens 11-15-2012 07:31 PM

Cam Ward, not by much.

ottawa 11-15-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckgenius (Post 55795323)
Whos better? Ward for me because of his playoff stats

So we're comparing careers? In that case I'll go with Ward too...

If we're talking about who's better right now, I'll take Price but it's close.

Senators Growing 11-15-2012 07:35 PM

Body of work goes to Ward but right now I'd choose Price. He's just unbelievable at times, positionally sound, younger and he stood up Chara at the All-Star draft... :naughty:

Vankiller Whale 11-15-2012 07:38 PM

Price is a top-5 goalie; Ward top-10.(imo)

Still, it's close.

Cheddabombs 11-15-2012 07:42 PM

I feel like Ward can be underrated at times but this is Price IMO.

Gritzky98 11-15-2012 07:44 PM

Carey Price, but barely

Habsterix* 11-15-2012 07:58 PM

Cam Ward is often underrated. Having said that, between the two, Price is superior.

Habs 4 Life 11-16-2012 07:46 AM

I wouldn't trade Price for Ward right now and even less going forward. Ward has had better seasons in the past but going forward I prefer Carey

y2kcanucks 11-16-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 55795533)
Price is a top-5 goalie; Ward top-10.(imo)

Still, it's close.

Price is easily a top 10 goalie. I wouldn't have Ward in my top 10. IMO he's one of the most overrated goalies there is.

OneMoreAstronaut 11-16-2012 10:47 AM

/whistle tough choice. If I got to just choose one or the other for my team, right now... yeah geez that'd be tough. I like them both.

I abstain!

Stansfield* 11-16-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 55808279)
Price is easily a top 10 goalie. I wouldn't have Ward in my top 10. IMO he's one of the most overrated goalies there is.

Ironic that a Canucks fan would find a goaltender that steps up his game in the playoffs overrated.

416Leafer 11-16-2012 11:52 AM

Ward is a good solid goalie... but not top 5.

Top 5 IMO would be (in no particular order): Quick, Price, Lundqvist, Thomas, and Rinne.

Ward is in the next tier that includes Miller, Kiprusoff, Luongo, etc.

FoppaForsberg* 11-16-2012 12:00 PM

Price, Ward is really underrated though. Not his fault he's on a mediocre team.

HockeyThoughts 11-16-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 55808279)

There is absolutely nothing "overrated" about Cam Ward. He was drafted in the 1st round in 2002, and by his rookie season in 05/06 he was able to dominate the postseason earning both a Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup. He is now 28, and has posted 5 full NHL seasons in each of which he has won 30 games or more. He plays on a team with a pretty weak defense but still has a career regular season .910SV% and an even better save percentage in the postseason posting a sparkling .917% over 41gp. Just like his teammate Eric Staal, Ward seems to have a notch reserved only for the playoffs. There are very few goaltenders I'd feel safer going into a series with than Cam Ward.

However, considering all that, I still take Carey Price. There is just something about his size, calm demeanor and pre-NHL pedigree that make me believe he'll be an NHL star as well as Canada's chosen Olympic goalie for years to come.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever 11-16-2012 12:21 PM

I say Cam Ward based on what he has already done since coming into the NHL.

Edit: Just noticed I voted for Price by mistake so don't count my vote.

InjuredChoker 11-16-2012 12:28 PM

Basically what many have said; Price, but it's close and Ward is underrated.

I was disappointed at he's WC performance, though.

OzzyFan 11-16-2012 12:58 PM

I am somewhat a Ward fanboy. Right now I'd say Cam Ward is better by a bit, but the future this could definitely change.

bp spec 11-16-2012 01:29 PM

Price. But Ward is good too.

AJMHABS 11-16-2012 02:48 PM

Price, but Ward is very good too, that's how close it is.

y2kcanucks 11-16-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts (Post 55810069)
There is absolutely nothing "overrated" about Cam Ward. He was drafted in the 1st round in 2002, and by his rookie season in 05/06 he was able to dominate the postseason earning both a Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup. He is now 28, and has posted 5 full NHL seasons in each of which he has won 30 games or more. He plays on a team with a pretty weak defense but still has a career regular season .910SV% and an even better save percentage in the postseason posting a sparkling .917% over 41gp. Just like his teammate Eric Staal, Ward seems to have a notch reserved only for the playoffs. There are very few goaltenders I'd feel safer going into a series with than Cam Ward.

However, considering all that, I still take Carey Price. There is just something about his size, calm demeanor and pre-NHL pedigree that make me believe he'll be an NHL star as well as Canada's chosen Olympic goalie for years to come.

Funny how Ward lost his starters job in the playoffs that he "dominated" and how his SVP was very similar to a goalie who's dubbed a playoff choke. The standards are ridiculously inconsistent around here.

Aside from one great playoffs, Cam Ward has not looked good. A 0.910SVP is not anything to write home about. It certainly doesn't scream "top 10 goalie" to me. He also hasn't looked good at all in international competition and was clearly Canada's weakness in this past WHC.

I also don't know where you get that Price is Canada's chosen Olympic goalie for years to come. Chosen by whom?

Blind Gardien 11-16-2012 03:12 PM

Ward has had a bit of a track record of looking great against my team, so I usually get the impression that I overrate him relatively to the average poster around here. I don't really see much to choose between him and Price. I voted Price. But mostly on the basis of thinking/hoping he's still somewhat on an ascending trajectory in his development and will ultimately surpass Ward.

Stansfield* 11-16-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 55815051)
Funny how Ward lost his starters job in the playoffs that he "dominated" and how his SVP was very similar to a goalie who's dubbed a playoff choke. The standards are ridiculously inconsistent around here.

If by "lost" you mean took. S% is based on the real-time stat of saves and awards equal value to all saves, which of course is not reality. I assume you're talking about Luongo, who earned his label by letting in plenty of deflating, momentum swinging goals.

Quote:

Aside from one great playoffs, Cam Ward has not looked good. A 0.910SVP is not anything to write home about. It certainly doesn't scream "top 10 goalie" to me. He also hasn't looked good at all in international competition and was clearly Canada's weakness in this past WHC.
Two great playoffs, and when you play behind a crappy defense and you're peppered with shots game-in, game-out your numbers take a hit. He was shaky at the WHC though.

MastuhNinks 11-16-2012 04:44 PM

Ward obviously has the better resume, but I still take Price pretty easily. Big fan of them both though.

tony d 11-16-2012 05:47 PM

Carey Price