HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Who deserves the #1 pick? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1283931)

flames12 11-16-2012 12:22 PM

Who deserves the #1 pick?

Simple if the season is lost(likely will be) who deserves the first overall pick?

bruinsfan46 11-16-2012 12:23 PM

Columbus. If a season plays they're the favourites to come 30th overall IMO and lost the lottery last year. Need a Nash replacement in MacKinnon.

Elever 11-16-2012 12:26 PM

Some team with an owner who isn't a cheap ******.

PWJunior 11-16-2012 12:27 PM

I'd say Columbus with all the crap they had to endure last season. Followed closely by the Isles - so many years of bad juju needs to be made up for. Karma baby.

The Nuge 11-16-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 (Post 55810633)
Columbus. If a season plays they're the favourites to come 30th overall IMO and lost the lottery last year. Need a Nash replacement in MacKinnon.

Yep. No team deserves it even close to as much. Especially with them losing the lottery

kingdok 11-16-2012 12:28 PM

Columbus, Toronto, Calgary and Anaheim comes to mind.

Qrispy 11-16-2012 12:28 PM

Oilers with the #1 pick and Pens with the #2.

Stephen23 11-16-2012 12:31 PM

Biased, but how about the team who has had the longest playoff drought? :)

KingWantsCup 11-16-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakuBOT (Post 55810753)
Oilers with the #1 pick and Pens with the #2.

For a second I was gonna e-drop kick you. :laugh:

kingdok 11-16-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWJunior (Post 55810713)
Followed closely by the Isles - so many years of bad juju needs to be made up for. Karma baby.

I would agree if Tavares didn't meet the expectations

BonMorrison 11-16-2012 12:33 PM

I'm biased but I'm going to go with Toronto.

Guru Meditation 11-16-2012 12:35 PM

Detroit. A reward for sustained success.

PRNuck 11-16-2012 12:35 PM

Vancouver because of their sad, sad team history, and because I WANTS IT.

SarcazemKadri 11-16-2012 12:35 PM

Toronto.

McCanovin 11-16-2012 12:38 PM

Edmonton. The league is due for a dynasty.

digdug41982 11-16-2012 12:40 PM

It's obviously the Blue Jackets.

doorman 11-16-2012 12:41 PM

Clb in reality, however as a Leaf fan I would want Mackinnon. If that kid ever reached his potential playing in Tor, well Mega star becomes an understatement. However it is a pipedream, lol

gifted88 11-16-2012 12:41 PM

insert my favorite team here ________.

Voted for the Habs. Complete homer vote.

In all honesty I think a team like Florida, Columbus, or Phoenix deserve a 1st overall pick.

J17 Vs Proclamation 11-16-2012 12:43 PM

Deserve is an odd choice of words given the question.

Entitlement (Seems odd using the word merit in this context) is being handed in an arbitary value. Why do Columbus deserve the #1 pick more than any other team?

Assuming no NHL season exists, then the draft cannot use tangible results to determine who is entitled to a statistically greater chance of the #1 pick. So the NHL has to create a system based on countback, rather than based on current results to determine the statistical entiltement for each team. Thus, whoever has the most balls and greatest % would be given the max arbitary value i.e deserves it the most.

I mean, if Edmonton had finished last again (assuming we had a full season), then in logically, they deserve the greatest statistical chance of the #1 pick again, because the rules dictate that the worst team gets in theory the best player.

As there is currently no season, and the countback really doesn't equate in a linear fashion to who the worst teams this year would be, i think nobody deserves the #1 pick more than anybody else.

Again, why do Columbus deserve the pick anymore than Toronto, or Detroit, or whomever? The angle "but the fans have had such a tough time" is an irrational way to measure entiltement.

Nash 11-16-2012 12:48 PM

Its crazy looking back at all the #1 picks and where they went. The Eastern Conference gets that pick the majority of the time. Over a third of the teams have never picked first.

It's shocking that as bad of a franchise as Columbus has been (even in their short history), they have only had one #1 overall.

R S 11-16-2012 12:50 PM

Avs.

DKQ 11-16-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation (Post 55811073)
Deserve is an odd choice of words given the question.

Entitlement (Seems odd using the word merit in this context) is being handed in an arbitary value. Why do Columbus deserve the #1 pick more than any other team?

Assuming no NHL season exists, then the draft cannot use tangible results to determine who is entitled to a statistically greater chance of the #1 pick. So the NHL has to create a system based on countback, rather than based on current results to determine the statistical entiltement for each team. Thus, whoever has the most balls and greatest % would be given the max arbitary value i.e deserves it the most.

I mean, if Edmonton had finished last again (assuming we had a full season), then in logically, they deserve the greatest statistical chance of the #1 pick again, because the rules dictate that the worst team gets in theory the best player.

As there is currently no season, and the countback really doesn't equate in a linear fashion to who the worst teams this year would be, i think nobody deserves the #1 pick more than anybody else.

Again, why do Columbus deserve the pick anymore than Toronto, or Detroit, or whomever? The angle "but the fans have had such a tough time" is an irrational way to measure entiltement.

The reason Columbus deserves it is because they have the worst situation in the NHL right now: they are just coming off a dead-last finish, they lost the lottery and a chance to pick a franchise player (although it's debatable whether they would have), their star player requested a trade, they have low attendance, they have made the playoffs once since their inception, they have a mediocre to weak prospect pool in terms of forwards, etc, etc.

Devil Dancer 11-16-2012 12:53 PM

The fans in Toronto (but not ownership or management). Those poor ******** have been supporting a loser for a long, long time.

IkeaMonkey* 11-16-2012 12:54 PM

The Capitals.

Nobody got screwed worse than Washington after the last lockout. Second worst team in the league in 03/04 and they end up getting the #11 pick. Complete crock of ****.

ManByng 11-16-2012 12:59 PM

hmmmm....let's see....deserve....Boston, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Rangers.... ;)