HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Beginner Deke moves (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1284007)

mistrhanky 11-16-2012 03:12 PM

Beginner Deke moves

Okay, this probably sounds a bit silly, but are there any particular deke moves that are effective but easier for the n00b player? I am not superfast, and thus am always at forward, but I do get breakout chances when I make a good play on a Dman. Sometimes I can get a quality wrister out of it, and I have been working on targeting the various shooting zones on net. Sometimes though, That goalie just looks 5 miles wide and I know I am not going to get a good piece of the net to shoot at.

I was wondering if there are any particular moves that seem to work better than others but do not require perfect hands to pull them off. I have tried dangling a bit, but always lose too much of the puck and it ends up being nothing. My best chance so far seems to be to come in from the right(I shoot left) and try to fake a wrister, pull the puck back with the toe and come around on the left side of the goalie to try to find a piece of open net. Not successful yet. Just wondering if any had any thoughts or advice on this, with n00b skater in mind...

Jarick 11-16-2012 03:19 PM

I can't deke worth a crap even though my hands aren't too bad. Just never had luck so no confidence in it.

The easiest is to chop the stick on the ice or fake a shot to freeze the goalie. Maybe try shooting but instead of releasing, stop and pull the puck back, and then make a miniature version of that movement and there's your fake.

Also, make your move early. Most folks (including me) wait too late and by then you have no room to move or shoot and all you have is poke check and pad.

Erik Estrada 11-16-2012 03:29 PM

deleted

FANonymous 11-16-2012 04:05 PM

For an effective fake shot try carrying the puck up on your forehand side, as you get close suddenly jerk your head and your forward shoulder down an inch or two. If you can simultaneously kick up your back leg it will be even more convincing. Make sure you're just outside of pokecheck range. If you get the goalie to bite you should get a good opportunity to score after pulling the puck to your backhand.

That's probably the most entry-level move but it can be very effective, you just have to sell that fake shot.

itsjustsurvival 11-16-2012 04:27 PM

As a right shot I like to come in off the right wing, drift left and shoot high right.

CornKicker 11-16-2012 05:15 PM

a good trick for a noob is to move your body like you are going to deke and then shoot right where the goalie is, a lot of goalies will bite on teh fake deke and move. honestly though as a rec league player you only need 3 or 4 go to moves. get good at 3-4 and you will score more than trying to score using different moves all the time.

mistrhanky 11-16-2012 05:25 PM

Yes, what I am after is building just a few moves and practicing the hell out of them. Appreciate the input.

reecardo 11-16-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 55815759)
The easiest is to chop the stick on the ice or fake a shot to freeze the goalie. Maybe try shooting but instead of releasing, stop and pull the puck back, and then make a miniature version of that movement and there's your fake.

This really does work on most goalies. I have played against a few at pickup that are good enough to poke check it when I try pulling it to the backhand, but if you are up against one of those guys, you likely didn't have much of a chance anyway.

SaintMorose 11-16-2012 06:32 PM

The gordon bombay triple deke?

CanucksSayEh 11-16-2012 08:04 PM

bounce off the boards and go around, if in open ice i just try to tap it through his skates and hope it comes out the other side. It does work more than you may think, people will size you up and not expect a noob to try to go through them with any kind of dangle.

AD1066 11-16-2012 08:37 PM

I'd recommend some Sean Skinner stickhandling videos if you can find them.

He covers every stickhandling topic imaginable, from the very basics to advanced dekes.

#66 11-18-2012 10:22 AM

You can easily build up strength and flexibility in you wrists at home. Use a ball, puck or a weighted puck...

I'm a righty so you might have to do a mirror image... stick handle, cross body, on the left side of your left foot, then in front of you, then on an angle in front of your right foot, next a full front to back motion on you side, then in back of your right foot and at last fully in back of you... as you get better pull the puck through your feet and start exaggerated movements. Marching while doing this looks and sounds stupid but moving your feet and hands at the same time is a great asset to have.

You can even put stools or chairs around you to make you get used to putting the puck through a hole and picking it up on the other side.

Also get used to the angles the puck is at instead of what you see with your eyes. There is a ton of room to get a puck through a defenders "holes".

STC 11-18-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FANonymous (Post 55817013)
For an effective fake shot try carrying the puck up on your forehand side, as you get close suddenly jerk your head and your forward shoulder down an inch or two. If you can simultaneously kick up your back leg it will be even more convincing. Make sure you're just outside of pokecheck range. If you get the goalie to bite you should get a good opportunity to score after pulling the puck to your backhand.

That's probably the most entry-level move but it can be very effective, you just have to sell that fake shot.

I highly doubt a noob would be able to pull off a successful shoulder dip, forhand-backhand-pop the water bottle.

I think the best move would be to come down straight at the goalie stickhandling, fake the deke and pop it 5 hole in one motion. That is pretty basic and requires far less hands than most dekes.

sanityplease 11-19-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD1066 (Post 55823667)
I'd recommend some Sean Skinner stickhandling videos if you can find them.

He covers every stickhandling topic imaginable, from the very basics to advanced dekes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by #66 (Post 55852615)
You can easily build up strength and flexibility in you wrists at home. Use a ball, puck or a weighted puck...

I'm a righty so you might have to do a mirror image... stick handle, cross body, on the left side of your left foot, then in front of you, then on an angle in front of your right foot, next a full front to back motion on you side, then in back of your right foot and at last fully in back of you... as you get better pull the puck through your feet and start exaggerated movements. Marching while doing this looks and sounds stupid but moving your feet and hands at the same time is a great asset to have.

You can even put stools or chairs around you to make you get used to putting the puck through a hole and picking it up on the other side.

Also get used to the angles the puck is at instead of what you see with your eyes. There is a ton of room to get a puck through a defenders "holes".

100%

Practice general puck handling ability/shooting, & the 'moves' will come. Different situations require different 'moves'.

SCBruCrew4 11-19-2012 09:25 AM

http://www.youtube.com/user/howtohockeydotcom

Check out his " Deke of the week" playlist. He goes from the basics to the more skilled stuff. You can pair these up with other dekes too. Helped me out playing with a puck in the driveway too.

ganave 11-20-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistrhanky (Post 55815571)
Okay, this probably sounds a bit silly, but are there any particular deke moves that are effective but easier for the n00b player? I am not superfast, and thus am always at forward, but I do get breakout chances when I make a good play on a Dman. Sometimes I can get a quality wrister out of it, and I have been working on targeting the various shooting zones on net. Sometimes though, That goalie just looks 5 miles wide and I know I am not going to get a good piece of the net to shoot at.

I was wondering if there are any particular moves that seem to work better than others but do not require perfect hands to pull them off. I have tried dangling a bit, but always lose too much of the puck and it ends up being nothing. My best chance so far seems to be to come in from the right(I shoot left) and try to fake a wrister, pull the puck back with the toe and come around on the left side of the goalie to try to find a piece of open net. Not successful yet. Just wondering if any had any thoughts or advice on this, with n00b skater in mind...

Newb goalie advice - on a breakaway I want to make the save at the top of the crease to take away most of the net. When your stick blade is pointed at me, I know I've got a little bit more time before I need to commit to some sort of save. When your blade points to the boards, them I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a save.

Not to downplay dekes, but I find it harder to make the save against someone who decides quickly what shot they want to do and where. I really hate getting beat in the 5 hole when someone elevates it just above my blade when I'm going down into a butterfly.

Also something to consider is simply firing a shot hard and low. You probably won't score, but it'll probably leave a rebound in the kill zone if I can't get my blade on it. I hate it when that happens because if you know one of your guys are right behind you, they can pick up the rebound and catch me when I'm on the ice.

Dysentery 11-20-2012 01:53 PM

Over-exaggerate a high wrist shot by dipping your shoulders down pulling the puck way back, (like your winding up the hardest highest wrist shot ever) then proceed to drive the puck low in the corner.

When the goalie sees you dip your shoulders he'll expect a high hard shot, this will stand the goalie up, giving you an easy goal in the low corner.

Missionhockey 11-20-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ganave (Post 55910097)
Newb goalie advice - on a breakaway I want to make the save at the top of the crease to take away most of the net. When your stick blade is pointed at me, I know I've got a little bit more time before I need to commit to some sort of save. When your blade points to the boards, them I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a save.

Not to downplay dekes, but I find it harder to make the save against someone who decides quickly what shot they want to do and where. I really hate getting beat in the 5 hole when someone elevates it just above my blade when I'm going down into a butterfly.

Also something to consider is simply firing a shot hard and low. You probably won't score, but it'll probably leave a rebound in the kill zone if I can't get my blade on it. I hate it when that happens because if you know one of your guys are right behind you, they can pick up the rebound and catch me when I'm on the ice.

Piggy backing from a skater's pov, I normally try to keep the puck in a shooting position at all times. I rarely shoot on a break away, but it gives the goalie something to think about.

FANonymous 11-21-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STC (Post 55857799)
I highly doubt a noob would be able to pull off a successful shoulder dip, forhand-backhand-pop the water bottle.

I think the best move would be to come down straight at the goalie stickhandling, fake the deke and pop it 5 hole in one motion. That is pretty basic and requires far less hands than most dekes.

I'm by no means a fantastic stick handler, but I've found this move to work well for me. It really depends on the goalie but if they are of a similar noob level and they come out and challenge/bite hard on the fake there's no need to "pop the water bottle," you can scoot the puck in along the ice since they're down and out. The better goaltenders will require more elevation on the shot of course, but baby steps. There's no action in that deke that a noob shouldn't be able to do individually, it's just putting them together in sequence.

noobman 11-21-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 (Post 55876047)
http://www.youtube.com/user/howtohockeydotcom

Check out his " Deke of the week" playlist. He goes from the basics to the more skilled stuff. You can pair these up with other dekes too. Helped me out playing with a puck in the driveway too.

I'll vouch for this video series. I have incorporated quite a few of these into my repetoire.

Of course it doesn't hurt to just grab a stick and get creative in the garage.

Silence Of The Plams 11-30-2012 11:46 PM

Garage practice. Very helpful. I have a long driveway so I practice skating and decking etc on it.

If it helps. I'm a bad deker. I just come in and fake a shot or tap my stick. Aim for the bottom corners. That's hard for me because I use a Crosby curve and it ends up high usually

Happy Fan 12-01-2012 12:48 PM

SmartBall is all you need. Just use it often, results will come.

Wilch 12-01-2012 08:10 PM

Two things.

Your puck handling skills and confidence.

Deking isn't hard if the puck can stick onto your blade at fast speed and in traffic. Just work on it and eventually you'll find a dangle move that's suitable for you.

Jacob 12-01-2012 09:07 PM

If you don't have good wheels first I don't see a point in learning how to deke. You're just gonna keep deking the same guy over and over.