HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   letter concerning prospect retention (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=128412)

Diesel 02-09-2005 11:57 AM

letter concerning prospect retention

About a month ago, I wrote to Al Alven asking him if he had spoken to anyone within the Flyers organization concerning the prospect of losing prospects. Apparently, he wrote back to me soon after I wrote him, but I just now got the email because of something screwy going on with another email program that runs occasionally without me knowing it. In any case, here's what he had to say.

EDIT: we have a rule against posting private correspondence on the boards. Please summarize it.

Jester 02-09-2005 12:18 PM

seems to be what the expected situation may be behind closed doors. that smacks of some collusion... needless to say if the lockout goes through all of this, it will be interesting to see what happens.

goodrev 02-09-2005 12:55 PM

this is a pretty huge relief i must say, i was pretty worried about losing their rights

Jester 02-09-2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodrev
this is a pretty huge relief i must say, i was pretty worried about losing their rights

nothing is certain... but that had to be the assumption that something was going on behind closed doors. hopefully it will all play out like that.

jb** 02-09-2005 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
seems to be what the expected situation may be behind closed doors. that smacks of some collusion... needless to say if the lockout goes through all of this, it will be interesting to see what happens.

sure does smell of collusion

Roger's Pancreas* 02-09-2005 07:10 PM

It may not be definite but that coming out of a professionals pen does give some reassurance.

FlyersGuy69 02-09-2005 08:06 PM

Quote:

technically, a team doesn't really retain a player's rights for two years after he is drafted. They actually retain his rights through the next two drafts. Thus, if there is no draft this year, the Flyers will simply retain the rights to Carter, Richards and others taken in '03 until '06, or whenever the eve of the next draft is.
collusion? I don't think so.
if the above technicality is fact, then Sather couldn't sign Carter away from the Flyers even if they wanted to. this goes for any team and GM.

fan mao rong 02-10-2005 11:15 AM

While there is a lockout no NHL teams may sign players. If there is an agreement the rules for entry players will be according to that agreement. I doubt there will be a situation where massive numbers of entry level players would be Unrestricted Free Agents. The League would not want that, and if massive numbers of Free Agents were to come on the market, the Players Association would probably prefer they be veterans. It is standard operating procedure that if a lockout is in effect no new contracts are signed. It is not collusion.