HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Cox: The Star: Maple Leafs might be better off without a season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1284365)

ForSpareParts* 11-17-2012 09:07 AM

The Star: Maple Leafs might be better off without a season

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...t-a-season-cox

Quote:

You can construct a case — not that Brian Burke would buy it — that missing the season wouldn’t be a bad thing at all for the Toronto hockey club.
Quote:

So the fact that Kadri, Jake Gardiner, Ben Scrivens, Joe Colborne, Jesse Blacker and others are continuing to serve their apprenticeships with the Marlies and Tyler Biggs learns in Oshawa isn’t a bad thing at all.

If the NHL lockout lasts the year, it won’t hurt any of those players. They’ll only be the better for it.
Quote:

Similarly, you know that if the lockout ends tomorrow, Moose Jaw defenceman Morgan Rielly will be on his way to Toronto for an abbreviated training camp and there will be, as there always is, intense pressure to keep him in the NHL.

Which would be exactly the wrong thing to do. Again.

who is he referring to when he says this? Schenn maybe? I don't see having Mo Riles in a leafs uni as being a bad thing. why would it hurt him? because he's going to be playing for a struggling team? so what. all young (potential) stars play for bad teams after they are drafted.

anyway, some interesting points.

ACC1224 11-17-2012 09:09 AM

This seems old.

iceblue 11-17-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 55830429)
This seems old.

Perhaps. But one thing struck me about the article that we all seem to know but not discuss much: that the Leafs will be in a better position following this lockout than many other teams. If you recall the last lockout, Leafs had real problems going down to the 39 million cap which ultimately led to much of the failure on ice. Bash Burke all you want, but I think he has done well by putting the Leafs in a much stronger position coming out of this lockout whenever it ends and whatever the new CBA looks like.

RogerRoeper* 11-17-2012 09:25 AM

I agree with Cox.

RogerRoeper* 11-17-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceblue (Post 55830587)
Perhaps. But one thing struck me about the article that we all seem to know but not discuss much: that the Leafs will be in a better position following this lockout than many other teams. If you recall the last lockout, Leafs had real problems going down to the 39 million cap which ultimately led to much of the failure on ice. Bash Burke all you want, but I think he has done well by putting the Leafs in a much stronger position coming out of this lockout whenever it ends and whatever the new CBA looks like.

Considering they can spend to the cap, they are one of, if not in the best cap position in the entire NHL.

Kibago 11-17-2012 09:37 AM

i feel like we could make the playoffs this year and i STILL agree with him.
other contenders get 1 year older, we get closer to dumping bad contracts, (hopefully) add another high pick, Reilly gets a development year without being rushed, and we get to enter an intriguing FA period where we'll have more money to spend than a lot of other teams.
the main thing that sucks is we'll have to make a decision on Lupul without seeing if last year was a fluke.

RogerRoeper* 11-17-2012 09:42 AM

Our bad contracts aren't even a concern anymore we have so much cap space. Burke has set us up nicely with the cap.

If this team gets a top pick next year, along with what a stud Rielly looks like and all that cap room, can anyone say our future looks so terrible? Nope. We'll be in very good shape.

Suntouchable13 11-17-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRoeper (Post 55830599)
I agree with Cox.

Yea, but the league is bigger than the Leafs. Missing the whole season is not good. I don't care if some feel that the Leafs are better off without a season.

Hurt 11-17-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceblue (Post 55830587)

Some might say he had the vision that there would be CBA troubles this year hence all the expiring contracts at the end of this year.

Jmo89 11-17-2012 09:57 AM

Wouldn't the Leafs also have a better chance at getting a high pick? I can't remember quite how it works, but last lockout, wasn't it the more seasons without playoffs = the more lottery balls you get (to a max of 3?)

Considering the Pens won a cup with Crosby, I wouldn't feel bad about a lockout netting us a (hopefully) 1, 2, or 3 overall pick.

RogerRoeper* 11-17-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmattin (Post 55830997)
Wouldn't the Leafs also have a better chance at getting a high pick? I can't remember quite how it works, but last lockout, wasn't it the more seasons without playoffs = the more lottery balls you get (to a max of 3?)

Considering the Pens won a cup with Crosby, I wouldn't feel bad about a lockout netting us a (hopefully) 1, 2, or 3 overall pick.

The Leafs will be 1 of only 4 teams with 3 balls if they do the same system.

I feel that is a better chance than if they play. Hell, they were a playoff team last year for as long as they could have a season this year.

Hurt 11-17-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmattin (Post 55830997)

If the league uses the same method as last time, the Leafs have a ~6% chance of getting the first overall pick. If they finish 5th last like last season, I believe it's something like ~8% chance at first overall.

RogerRoeper* 11-17-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 (Post 55830869)
Yea, but the league is bigger than the Leafs. Missing the whole season is not good. I don't care if some feel that the Leafs are better off without a season.

This is the league's decision, so what are you going to do? I really don't care what happens to Phoenix or Columbus.

RogerRoeper* 11-17-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurt (Post 55831039)
If the league uses the same method as last time, the Leafs have a ~6% chance of getting the first overall pick. If they finish 5th last like last season, I believe it's something like ~8% chance at first overall.

But if there's no season it's a guarantee. Do we know the Leafs will finish bottom 5 again? (And this time, in a short season?) Having no season and 6% guaranteed is a safer bet.

Jmo89 11-17-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRoeper (Post 55831027)
The Leafs will be 1 of only 4 teams with 3 balls if they do the same system.

I feel that is a better chance than if they play. Hell, they were a playoff team last year for as long as they could have a season this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurt (Post 55831039)

Thanks for the replies.

Hurt 11-17-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRoeper (Post 55831071)
But if there's no season it's a guarantee. Do we know the Leafs will finish bottom 5 again? (And this time, in a short season?) Having no season and 6% guaranteed is a safer bet.

I just pointed out the relevant numbers for him. I don't have a magic ball to tell me where they'll finish but they didn't address the hole at #1C and are pinning their hopes on a young, inexperienced goalie. They could very easily sputter or they may repeat the success of the first 50 games of last season. I'm not too worried though as I don't believe there WILL be a season but that's a post for another topic.

Mess 11-17-2012 10:19 AM

Financially MLSE doesn't feel they're better off with no season, particularly with new Ownership coming in and the ACC sitting dark missing game receipt revenue to begin to help offset their purchase price.

ACC1224 11-17-2012 10:27 AM

As a hockey fan, any season is better than no season.

ACC1224 11-17-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 55831291)
Financially MLSE doesn't feel they're better off with no season, particularly with new Ownership coming in and the ACC sitting dark missing game receipt revenue to begin to help offset their purchase price.

Absolutely but I'm sure they've invested wisely all the Ticket money they received.

I wonder how many asked for their money back? They offered 1% interest if you wanted it back, 5% if you didn't.

Suntouchable13 11-17-2012 10:32 AM

Again people are talking like a top 5 pick is some prize. I'd rather make the playoffs and have an exciting season. Top 5 picks don't do it for me.

Hurt 11-17-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224 (Post 55831493)
Absolutely but I'm sure they've invested wisely all the Ticket money they received.

I wonder how many asked for their money back? They offered 1% interest if you wanted it back, 5% if you didn't.

So if you maintain your season tickets, you get 5% interest back on top of what you paid or am I misunderstanding?

Budsfan 11-17-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForSpareParts (Post 55830415)
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...t-a-season-cox

who is he referring to when he says this? Schenn maybe? I don't see having Mo Riles in a leafs uni as being a bad thing. why would it hurt him? because he's going to be playing for a struggling team? so what. all young (potential) stars play for bad teams after they are drafted.

anyway, some interesting points.

I believe Cox may be on to something because we would be ridding ourselves of some contracts that we don't need like....

Quote:

If this season were to be erased, the contracts to Tim Connolly, Joffrey Lupul, Matthew Lombardi, Clarke MacArthur, Tyler Bozak and David Steckel would expire, making them unrestricted free agents.
But could add some very good ones for next year, that are also UFA's, and would be available for just signing and not cost us anything for trade value here are two but there are many more...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ent-teams.html

Quote:

Center Ryan Getzlaf and right winger Corey Perry, Anaheim Ducks;

ACC1224 11-17-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurt (Post 55831515)
So if you maintain your season tickets, you get 5% interest back on top of what you paid or am I misunderstanding?

Either way you keep your seats.

If you let them keep the money they add 5% to your Account once the season resumes.

ACC1224 11-17-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budsfan (Post 55831533)
I believe Cox may be on to something because we would be ridding ourselves of some contracts that we don't need to like....

But could add some very good ones for next year, that are also UFA's, and would be available for just signing and not cost us anything for trade value here are two but there are many more...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ent-teams.html

Those contracts will be gone whether they play or not.

Interactif 11-17-2012 10:37 AM

I always said this was a wasted season for the Leafs, the only good thing is if we do play games this year, we will only have to root for .5 a season for a good top 5 pick as opposed to the whole year.