HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Mark Pysyk vs Brayden Mcnabb (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1284369)

SubbanForCouturier 11-17-2012 10:18 AM

Mark Pysyk vs Brayden Mcnabb
 
Hi dear Sabres fans!

I would like to have a little bit more info from some people who watch Pysyk and Mcnabb play.

Who would you consider better right now and has higher ceiling?

Do they have a chance to crack a spot next hockey season, and who will !

Thanks alot guys !!

Moskau 11-17-2012 11:08 AM

Pysyk is in a different league as far as Hockey IQ and Defensive play than McKnabb. McKnabb has the advantage of being more offensive minded and physically imposing.

Right now they are probably 50/50. To me McKnabb's offensive game and physicality isn't far enough ahead of Pysyk's smarts to give him the advantage he should have with an extra year of pro experience. In fact I'm not convinced that McKnabb will consistently score more (overall points) than Pysyk at the NHL level just because guys as smart as Pysyk generally rack up a lot of assists.

If you want a guy to blow open a game by laying a huge hit at center ice, taking the puck and rushing down ice and scoring while playing decent defense then McKnabb is your style. If you want a guy who prevents those sort of plays from happening to your team while providing decent offensive ability then Psysk is your style.

stokes84 11-17-2012 11:12 AM

Pysyk will be a top 4 guy in the NHL. McNabb might possibly be one. Pysyk is easily the better prospect IMO.

JPurp26 11-17-2012 11:14 AM

Pysyk is a safer pick. Mcnabb is more exciting though. If Mcnabb had pysyks smarts we'd be set

Moskau 11-17-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPurp26 (Post 55831225)
If Mcnabb had pysyks smarts we'd be set

We'd have Dougie Hamilton. :shakehead Burke...

tsujimoto74 11-17-2012 01:02 PM

I think Pystk will eventually be the better NHLer. I see him as a future 30-40 point shutdown defenseman, probably plays 1st PK and 2nd PP. his IQ is easily ahead of McNabb's. Almost always in the right spot, and making smart patient plays with the puck. McNabb will probably get more goals, hits and PIMs, but Pysyk's smarts and skating should make him the overall better d man.

mercy 11-17-2012 01:22 PM

Both will be top-4. McNabb will be much more visible on the ice while Pysyk will quietly go about his business. Comparable to B. Stuart (earlier in his career) and Numminen, respectively.

Buffalo87 11-17-2012 02:06 PM

Long term, my money is on Pysyk being the better NHLer. McNabb has the potential to be a game breaker type (big momentum changing hit/goal/fight/etc) but Pysyk is the type of guy you will almost never find yourself :facepalm:ing his play.

Pysyk has a lot of the qualities that translate well and almost ensure yourself a top-4 job in the NHL some day.

Jacob582 11-17-2012 02:09 PM

^^^^^
I agree with all of the above.

Zip15 11-17-2012 02:37 PM

They'll make a good second-pairing in the NHL one day.

OkimLom 11-19-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 55834985)
They'll make a good second-pairing in the NHL one day.

Though I agree with this, I see Myers and Pysyk being paired together and being the top pairing, of course once Myers fills out and starts playing more physical.

Moskau 11-19-2012 10:29 AM

Something that gets lost in the shuffle with Pysyk is that he's an elite skater. Although you never make pairs to spread out strengths I think having Pysyk and Myers on the same pairing may be redundant. Pysyk, Myers and Sekera would be one hell of a skating group though.

tsujimoto74 11-19-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moskau (Post 55876081)
Something that gets lost in the shuffle with Pysyk is that he's an elite skater. Although you never make pairs to spread out strengths I think having Pysyk and Myers on the same pairing may be redundant. Pysyk, Myers and Sekera would be one hell of a skating group though.

Don't forget Ehrhoff, too. With a group like that, McNabb could never improve his skating and probably not have to pay for it often, because any one of those guys has the speed to cover up for him.

struckbyaparkedcar 11-19-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkimLom (Post 55875453)
Though I agree with this, I see Myers and Pysyk being paired together and being the top pairing, of course once Myers fills out and starts playing more physical.

They're both righties.

My vibe is either Pysyk takes over for Regehr as a shutdown guy with Sekera while McNabb-Myers take more risks against less competent offensive players, or Myers returns to the shutdown role while McNabb-Pysyk make up a strong second pairing.

Zip15 11-19-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moskau (Post 55876081)
Something that gets lost in the shuffle with Pysyk is that he's an elite skater. Although you never make pairs to spread out strengths I think having Pysyk and Myers on the same pairing may be redundant. Pysyk, Myers and Sekera would be one hell of a skating group though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkimLom (Post 55875453)
Though I agree with this, I see Myers and Pysyk being paired together and being the top pairing, of course once Myers fills out and starts playing more physical.

As stated by another poster, the problem is that Pysyk and Myers are both righties. Our coach-for-life prefers pairing lefties and righties together, where possible. I see Myers and Pysyk being the two righties in the top-4, albeit on different pairings.

I think McNabb's and Pysyk's skillsets complement each other beautifully. McNabb is a physical, risk-tasking lefty with some skating deficiencies. Pysyk is the smooth-skating, low-risk, intelligent righty on whom McNabb can depend when he wants to play his game. Both are competent (or better) offensively.

I've always thought these two are made for each other, and I still feel that way.

Chainshot 11-19-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 55877059)
As stated by another poster, the problem is that Pysyk and Myers are both righties. Our coach-for-life prefers pairing lefties and righties together, where possible. I see Myers and Pysyk being the two righties in the top-4, albeit on different pairings.

I think McNabb's and Pysyk's skillsets complement each other beautifully. McNabb is a physical, risk-tasking lefty with some skating deficiencies. Pysyk is the smooth-skating, low-risk, intelligent righty on whom McNabb can depend when he wants to play his game. Both are competent (or better) offensively.

I've always thought these two are made for each other, and I still feel that way.

To build on this, McNabb's biggest assets offensively seem to be his ability to find the open man and put pucks on net (not necessarily through the net) once the team has set up possession in the offensive zone. That dovetails nicely with Pysyk's abilities to quickly move the puck and his speed in transition. As a pairing, they could be a real handful for teams in all three zones.

5 Minute Major 11-19-2012 12:36 PM

I wasn't too impressed with McNabb's smarts the other night in Binghamton. Rankin made a lazy pass back to McNabb, who tried to come forward and play it, letting the Senator poke it past him and go in on a breakway to score the winning goal, shorthanded, in the 3rd period.

He should have read that play much better and backed off.

struckbyaparkedcar 11-19-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major (Post 55878791)
I wasn't too impressed with McNabb's smarts the other night in Binghamton. Rankin made a lazy pass back to McNabb, who tried to come forward and play it, letting the Senator poke it past him and go in on a breakway to score the winning goal, shorthanded, in the 3rd period.

He should have read that play much better and backed off.

Stuff like this is why I have him 6th in my prospect rankings and am totally willing to ship him off to anywhere willing to overpay for his skillset.

That being said, I do expect him to minimize these kinds of mistakes with development and still have 100% faith in him being an effective #4. I just think that's where he ends up, while guys like Pysyk, Foligno and Girgensons (Catenacci too, to a lesser extent) have the abilities to really transcend their limitations (all of which just happen to be pure offense, rather than footspeed or IQ).

1972 11-19-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar (Post 55881085)
Stuff like this is why I have him 6th in my prospect rankings and am totally willing to ship him off to anywhere willing to overpay for his skillset.

That being said, I do expect him to minimize these kinds of mistakes with development and still have 100% faith in him being an effective #4. I just think that's where he ends up, while guys like Pysyk, Foligno and Girgensons (Catenacci too, to a lesser extent) have the abilities to really transcend their limitations (all of which just happen to be pure offense, rather than footspeed or IQ).

you have a physical 6 foot 5 defenceman who is close to PPG in the AHL in only his second year and your willing to move him? I could see moving him in a package for a 1st line foward but that is unlikely, who are the 6 infront of him?

tsujimoto74 11-19-2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Regier (Post 55887143)
you have a physical 6 foot 5 defenceman who is close to PPG in the AHL in only his second year and your willing to move him? I could see moving him in a package for a 1st line foward but that is unlikely, who are the 6 infront of him?

I'd guess Grigorenko, Armia, Foligno, Girgensons, Pysyk. I don't think it's that ridiculous to argue McNabb is our 6th best prospect, and I think that speaks more to the quality of the Sabres prospect pool than it does to McNabb's deficiencies.

Stop Winnin 11-19-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 (Post 55887825)
I'd guess Grigorenko, Armia, Foligno, Girgensons, Pysyk. I don't think it's that ridiculous to argue McNabb is our 6th best prospect, and I think that speaks more to the quality of the Sabres prospect pool than it does to McNabb's deficiencies.

I agree with you, I'd put him at #6 as well, Pysyk has really impressed me and I think his game will translate better to the NHL.

struckbyaparkedcar 11-20-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Regier (Post 55887143)
you have a physical 6 foot 5 defenceman who is close to PPG in the AHL in only his second year and your willing to move him? I could see moving him in a package for a 1st line foward but that is unlikely, who are the 6 infront of him?

Grigs, Girgs, Foligno, Pysyk/Armia. In order.

And I don't "want" to move him, but if a team is asking for a "top prospect" for a player that hypothetical-GM-me covets, McNabb's the guy I'm most willing to part with because he has to overcome hockey-IQ issues rather than concerns about Girgensons/Pysyk's offensive game, for example.

Husko 11-21-2012 02:44 AM

Sekera-Myers
McNabb-Pysyk

Such a sexy future top 4.

French Connection 11-21-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Husko (Post 55929557)
Sekera-Myers
McNabb-Pysyk

Such a sexy future top 4.

McNabb is overrated and it is to early for Pysyk. At this point in time Brennan is the better option over either.

stokes84 11-21-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by French Connection (Post 55932535)
McNabb is overrated and it is to early for Pysyk. At this point in time Brennan is the better option over either.

Future being the key word there. But yeah, I agree with you about McNabb. I have my doubts about him ever being a full time successful NHLer. Lacking in foot speed and IQ can be a killer combo. You can lack one but make it up with the other, but if both are lacking, it can spell trouble.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.