HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   COL-DET Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=12845)

RoyIsALegend* 09-20-2003 10:35 AM

COL-DET Proposal

Since Detroit is looking to acquire a #1 center and the Avalanche need a starting goaltender, maybe something like this could work.

To DET: Joe Sakic
To COL: Curtis Joseph

The Avs would need Sakic to waive his no-trade clause, but he'd obviously do it to leave Denver and go to Michigan.

Thoughts?

Yayo 09-20-2003 10:36 AM

:yo:

Wings80 09-20-2003 10:37 AM

:confused:

Epsilon 09-20-2003 10:40 AM

WTF?!? :eek:

Also, I want EVERYONE to observe that it was an Avs fan and not a Wings fan that started this thread. So leave the Wings-bashing comments at home.

thome_26 09-20-2003 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Since Detroit is looking to acquire a #1 center and the Avalanche need a starting goaltender, maybe something like this could work.

The Avs would need Sakic to waive his no-trade clause, but he'd obviously do it to leave Denver and go to Michigan.

Thoughts?

April fools? nope.... it's september... hmm.... other then that I can't fathom what else this prop. would be for......

Yayo 09-20-2003 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon
WTF?!? :eek:

Also, I want EVERYONE to observe that it was an Avs fan and not a Wings fan that started this thread. So leave the Wings-bashing comments at home.

You understand that RoyIsALegend wasn't serious?? However, if he is, then I'm scared.

RoyIsALegend* 09-20-2003 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man
You understand that RoyIsALegend wasn't serious?? However, if he is, then I'm scared.

Apparently people don't know me well enough, saks. ;)

LawnDemon 09-20-2003 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man

that does seem like the only sensible conclusion but, sadly, it seems like the unfortunate delusional was being serious...

Zodiac 09-20-2003 10:47 AM

If I'm Lacroix I'd be all over that deal. If I'm Holland I might want a bit more to even it out.

Good goalies are more valuable.

Dr Love 09-20-2003 10:47 AM

Detroit is giving up too much. The Avs are going to have to sweeten the pot.

Yayo 09-20-2003 10:53 AM

I think adding Alex Tanguay and Martin Skoula would make it a little more even.

Dr Love 09-20-2003 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Man
I think adding Alex Tanguay and Martin Skoula would make it a little more even.

That might be a *tad* too much. Maybe Detroit throws in a 9th rounder to even things out.

A Good Flying Bird* 09-20-2003 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Detroit is giving up too much. The Avs are going to have to sweeten the pot.

Given that the Cujo proposals have slowed to a trickle, I'm not sure this sarcastic thread is very timely, or relevant.
You're about 5 weeks too late, RoyIsALegend

Dr Love 09-20-2003 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Given that the Cujo proposals have slowed to a trickle, I'm not sure this sarcastic thread is very timely, or relevant.

Don't blame me.

andora 09-20-2003 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newsguyone

unbunch :p...

the only way i'd to this is if i'm getting devereaux back..

Enoch 09-20-2003 11:05 AM

:rolleyes:

Shoalzie 09-20-2003 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

Thoughts?

Friends don't let friends post drunk...and that proposal is from an Avs fan! :dunno:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina 09-20-2003 12:18 PM

No way Detroit does this deal. They would want at least Forsberg, Hejduk, and Foote. Maybe a second rounder also.

Trottier 09-20-2003 12:48 PM

Why is it just assumed that the Avs need a goalie? Does anyone have enough evidence to back that claim? Admittedly, there is not enough evidence to suggest that Aebischer is the answer as a #1 in goal, but that is why you play the games.

For a team like Colorado (read: loaded), they can afford use the regular season (at least the first several months) as a proving ground for D.A. If he performs well, it is, of course, no guarantee that he will do same come the playoffs, but it is a good sign. Likewise, if he fails, the team has ample time to go out and acquire a goalie. (A third scenario: Aebischer plays well, but Lacroix would prefer going with a veteran come springtime. As such, DA would be a more valuable trade asset at that time to include in a package to bring back a more established vet, e.g., Kolzig (if the Caps were floundering), a healthy, performing Burke, etc.

The idea that the Avs have to run out and acquire Joseph plays right into Detroit's hands. And there is no need to. The Wings, I'm willing to bet would be willing to essentially give Joseph away, not because he isn't any good, but because his contract is an anchor around their neck. Yes, they are a rich franchise. But EVERY team has a budget limitation, and no one can afford to carry around $8M backup goalies. Likewise, very few - if any - teams can afford to add that type of $ to their payroll right before the beginning of the season. GM are paid to manage budget as well as personnel.

I see two scenarios unfolding: 1) Joseph will sit on Detroit's bench until late(r) in the season. By that time, thanks to injury, or subpar play by their goalie, another team(s) will have a greater need for goaltending help. Coupled with the fact that a majority of Joseph's salary for this season will be paid off at that point, he will then be easier to move (supply/demand).

2) The Wings try to buy him out of his contract, and he becomes an FA. This thought is based on the assumption that $ is the primary (sole) factor in moving him, moreso than a few others here apparently believe.

At this point, however, I see little incentive for any team to give up any assets and add a huge contract. And that includes Colorado. And those who suggest that they have to make a move for him now are jumping the gun, bigtime.

Dr Love 09-20-2003 12:50 PM

Trottier, please tell me you realized this thread was all a joke before you wrote all that.

nathan 09-20-2003 01:10 PM

Quote:

Trottier, please tell me you realized this thread was all a joke before you wrote all that.

Maybe that was all pre-written. I don't see any mentioning about the original proposal? :dunno:

Trottier 09-20-2003 01:51 PM

Quote:

Must be slipping. :p

Didn't read closely enough, and I know I've seen enough Joseph to the Avs threads!

Deleted. I'll paste it elsewhere, as warranted. ;)

Ironchef Chris Wok* 09-21-2003 12:17 AM

The Sarcasm is not really necessary.