HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers "Classic" on MSG (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=128701)

Levitate 02-10-2005 07:05 PM

Rangers "Classic" on MSG

Mike York, Theo Fleury...Val Kamenski :D

hey and Kloucek is out there too, and Johnsson, and the Czech line is intact...

*sniff* memories...and Malhotra too!

NYRGoalieGlut* 02-10-2005 07:10 PM

It's hard to believe that the 75th season was so long ago.

NYRGoalieGlut* 02-10-2005 07:16 PM

Watching this 21st century hockey makes me not miss it as much. So far this "classic" has been a bore. I know those were playoff games but even the games in 97, which weren't that long ago, were MUCH better than this bore. I remembered this game more favoribly, the ending was exciting, but at least early here, it's not very good (remembered it being better)/

NYRGoalieGlut* 02-10-2005 07:29 PM

Sorry for hogging this thread, but I think this was the year we were the best in the league on the PP for a while and then went on a REALLY long stretch where we scored only one PP goal.

Levitate 02-10-2005 07:34 PM

haha, probably

they just mentioned fleury going to the allstar game...didn't he score 2 goals in that game or something?

Evil Sather 02-10-2005 07:56 PM

No, I think that was the year before, Wayne's last year, when he centered Fleury and Recchi in the all star game, 2 guys who coincidentally were on the trading block when the Rangers desperately needed a guy who could actually put Gretzky's passes into the net.

Balej20* 02-10-2005 08:03 PM

ha, this looks like every other game against the Leafs. Where the leafs get every single possible call, plus 75 PP's and 35 2 man advantages.

NYRGoalieGlut* 02-10-2005 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Sather
No, I think that was the year before, Wayne's last year, when he centered Fleury and Recchi in the all star game, 2 guys who coincidentally were on the trading block when the Rangers desperately needed a guy who could actually put Gretzky's passes into the net.

Nope that was the year. He was one several people that scored 2 goals in the All Star game. That was back when All Star games didn't end 5-4. lol

NYRGoalieGlut* 02-10-2005 08:36 PM

U know what game I want to see, though it's a regular season game. That game against Calgary from the season of today's game. It was like 5-4 in OT, Kamensky winning it. We blew like a 3 goal lead but won. That game had the WORST call I've ever seen. EVER EVER! Some guy from Calgary shot a slap shot high but hit a water bottle and the black cap came off and went into the net I believe and they thought that was the puck, but it was OBVIOUSLY not. They even reviewed it for a long time, and still counted it.

Balej20* 02-10-2005 08:41 PM

wow this is a great end to this game. Richter p[laying amazing.

NYRGoalieGlut* 02-10-2005 08:42 PM

We gave up only one goal on the PK, but it still probably was the saddest PK in the history of the league. Sure it was a 5 on 3, but 3 or 4 WIDE open point blank shots at Richter? :shakehead

Balej20* 02-10-2005 08:54 PM

ahhh now i know why they showed this game, lol. Good ending to the game too.

Bluenote13 02-10-2005 09:36 PM

Sam in the very beginning of the game:"Jeff Toms is a healthy scratch, taking his place in the lineup will be Jan Hlavac".

Fletch, I can see your eyes rolling from here ;)

BDubinskyNYR17* 02-11-2005 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Sam in the very beginning of the game:"Jeff Toms is a healthy scratch, taking his place in the lineup will be Jan Hlavac".

Fletch, I can see your eyes rolling from here ;)

Wow Rich Pilon, remember those days. We lost Cairns for this bum. :shakehead

Levitate 02-11-2005 07:17 AM

Quote:

Some guy from Calgary shot a slap shot high but hit a water bottle and the black cap came off and went into the net I believe and they thought that was the puck, but it was OBVIOUSLY not. They even reviewed it for a long time, and still counted it.
haha, i remember that, what a joke that was

man hlavac is kind of a frustrating player...you don't always think of him as being super skilled, but the guy seriously has moves...he could be one of the higher skilled players in the NHL pretty easily. but a lot of times he doesn't consistantly score with those moves, hah.

and i'm not losing any sleep of losing cairns :shakehead

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-11-2005 08:49 AM

Some things I noticed (and I was at the game) watching it last night:

1) What a warrior Brian Leetch is/was.

2) What a warrior Mike Ricther was.

3) Love Graves, but he had nothing in the tank at that point.

4) How on Earth did Glen Sather feel that Mike York was the kind of guy that he would be OK trading? There has not been a player since for this team that is what York was.

5) So that's what an interested Jan Hlavac looks like.

6) Ditto Radek Dvorak

BDubinskyNYR17* 02-11-2005 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Some things I noticed (and I was at the game) watching it last night:

1) What a warrior Brian Leetch is/was.

2) What a warrior Mike Ricther was.

3) Love Graves, but he had nothing in the tank at that point.

4) How on Earth did Glen Sather feel that Mike York was the kind of guy that he would be OK trading? There has not been a player since for this team that is what York was.

5) So that's what an interested Jan Hlavac looks like.

6) Ditto Radek Dvorak

And we lost Cairns for Pilon?? And dealt Langdon and Dimaio for McCarthy :shakehead I loved watching Fleury on the ice. I loved watching the Fly Line as well. And we deal alot of players that have character and leadership like York and Malhotra, that now we are building a team around character and leadership. :shakehead We should have kept them.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 02-11-2005 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
And we lost Cairns for Pilon?? And dealt Langdon and Dimaio for McCarthy :shakehead I loved watching Fleury on the ice. I loved watching the Fly Line as well. And we deal alot of players that have character and leadership like York and Malhotra, that now we are building a team around character and leadership. :shakehead We should have kept them.

Not lamenting the loss of Cairns or Langdon. Always felt that the Czech line was a novelty and were actually quite flawed. Fleury I never really wanted, liked a bit, but his general Ranger tenure was a disaster. Never understood, however, how Sather saw York as tradable and replaceable.

BDubinskyNYR17* 02-11-2005 04:30 PM

Quote:

Not lamenting the loss of Cairns or Langdon. Always felt that the Czech line was a novelty and were actually quite flawed. Fleury I never really wanted, liked a bit, but his general Ranger tenure was a disaster. Never understood, however, how Sather saw York as tradable and replaceable.

When we dealt York, we should have gotten Ryan Smyth or Jason Smith back then that I can live with, both those vets work hard, but for a cream puff like Poti, that Ill never understand. :shakehead :banghead: :dunno:

JCProdigy 02-11-2005 04:36 PM

Quote:

I thought the Czech line were what they were. A really good threesome that was best served as a 2nd line offensive line in the NHL. Unfortunately the Rangers became dependent upon them to be a number one line against other teams best defenders and thus any weakenesses they had were exposed.

Draft Guru 02-11-2005 08:07 PM

Anybody care to actually say what game this was, when and the score?

;)

NYRGoalieGlut* 02-11-2005 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Anybody care to actually say what game this was, when and the score?

;)

January 18, 2001. Rangers won 2-1 in OT, on Brian Leetches goal w/ under a minute to go (I believe it was just over 30 seconds to go). Richter became the all time wins leader for the Rangers.