HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Analysts: Shortened NHL season would be a big mistake (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=129010)

NYblades 02-12-2005 03:12 PM

Analysts: Shortened NHL season would be a big mistake

Article in Yahoo sports on canceling the season.

Yahoo Sports

Levitate 02-12-2005 03:27 PM

interesting quote...and what a lot of us have been saying

Quote:

Roger Noll, an economics professor at Stanford University who studies sports business issues, questions if some small-market and Sun Belt franchises will survive longterm. Within 10 years, he envisions a North American super league stripped of perhaps a dozen current franchises, which would fold or become minor-league clubs.

``The notion that the NHL can solve its problems with a salary cap is ludicrous,'' Noll said. ``It will increase profits for the best teams, but it doesn't make the small-market teams viable. The disparity of revenues across the league is greater than in any other sport, and there's no salary solution to that problem. Some teams have 25 times (the local TV revenue) of other teams. The only solution is to get rid of the small-market teams or subsidize them.

``Even if salaries were zero dollars per year, I question if some small-market teams would have enough revenue to cover costs. Blowing up the league is the likely outcome because the big-market teams don't see revenue sharing as being in their best interest,'' Noll said.
as for having a shortened season being bad...dunno, some people won't like it cuz they think it cheapens the stanley cup. i'd say maybe do more of a "tournament" instead of awarding the stanley cup? i mean it's a cop out but i think it might be better than just having no hockey at all. have a short season and then a "playoffs" that are more a tournament style or something. meh, a lot of people probably wouldn't like my idea and just say "why not cancel the season". well, i for one would like to see some hockey this year, so i'd watch it. second, you're not awarding a stanley cup so your'e not really cheapening that award...you're just kind of getting the teams back together and letting them play each other to give the fans something back after this lockout. and yeah i wouldn't charge full price tickets or anything either

but that's just me...and it's unlikely they'll get a CBA done at this point anyways, so who cares

Fish 02-12-2005 05:33 PM

I actually expect playing a short season to have the opposite effect and actually help draw some of the fans back into the game. Leaving no hockey until October would be a problem IMO...

Fletch 02-12-2005 05:46 PM

What hockey needs...

is a good-old fashioned, old time hockey playoffs. And I agree 100% Fish. It'll be hard getting those season subscriptions whenever hockey starts up again (especially with scabs).

FLYLine24 02-12-2005 06:04 PM

A cancelled season with be so much worse then a shortened season. Its not football where the millions of fans will come running back...its HOCKEY.

Kovy274Hart 02-12-2005 09:17 PM

They've already made a mockery out of it either way. A 28-game schedule with playoffs is a joke. I wouldn't comeback to play either. That just is a far cry from playing a full 82 games.

Of course, no season will mean a loss of credibility. They can't win either way.

They really have destroyed this sport. I hope they're satisfied.

patnyrnyg 02-13-2005 11:12 AM

I probably will not renew my seats next season, and will be less inclined if they play a joke 28-game season and gimmicky play-offs where everyone qualifies. If the season is canceled I better see my seats cut from $25 to $15 if I am to renew. Damn, the doctor told me to drink this early.

Tawnos 02-13-2005 01:53 PM

No one is planning on having everyone qualify for the playoffs.

Also, these economists are basing this off fan reaction DURING the lockout. Despite the fact that league will lose a few die-hards, the majority of people will come back because the majority of fans were die-hards to begin with (part of hockey's popularity problem there).

The Stanley Cup, being the symbol of the sport, NEEDS to be awarded. The only way the Cup would be "cheapened" is if they gave it away. As long as the best league in the world competes for it, it will still be pristine.

Fish 02-13-2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos

Also, these economists are basing this off fan reaction DURING the lockout. Despite the fact that league will lose a few die-hards, the majority of people will come back because the majority of fans were die-hards to begin with (part of hockey's popularity problem there).

The Stanley Cup, being the symbol of the sport, NEEDS to be awarded. The only way the Cup would be "cheapened" is if they gave it away. As long as the best league in the world competes for it, it will still be pristine.

Well they used to play 24 games a season when they NHL started back in the early 1900s...they changed to a 30 game format in 1924-25 and a 44 game format when the Rangers joined in 1926-27.

Tawnos 02-13-2005 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish
Well they used to play 24 games a season when they NHL started back in the early 1900s...they changed to a 30 game format in 1924-25 and a 44 game format when the Rangers joined in 1926-27.

I know...but granted, that was in a smaller league with more games played between the teams that were competing for the Cup.

Nonetheless... I don't think the Cup would be cheapened by a 28 game season, as long as we get a full playoffs.

patnyrnyg 02-13-2005 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tawnos

I have heard it in a few different places. It is one of the ideas being thrown around, IF there were to be a season. If they somehow salvage a season, I will be trying to sell EVERYONE of my games. If you want my tixx, email me, you can have the whole season for face value.

Brooklyn Ranger 02-13-2005 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patnyrnyg
I have heard it in a few different places. It is one of the ideas being thrown around, IF there were to be a season. If they somehow salvage a season, I will be trying to sell EVERYONE of my games. If you want my tixx, email me, you can have the whole season for face value.

In the unlikely event there is a 28 game season, I will probably give my tickets to the Garden and take the tax write-off (season ticket holders can do this--MSG "gives" the tickets to a group or individual and they send you a letter saying you donated the tickets, meaning it's a charitiable contribution).

patnyrnyg 02-13-2005 03:42 PM

That would allow the Garden to look like heroes by onating the tickets. If I was to do that, I can probably find enough charitable organizations on my own, but thanks for the idea. I didnt think of that.

Brooklyn Ranger 02-13-2005 03:50 PM

Quote:

That would allow the Garden to look like heroes by onating the tickets. If I was to do that, I can probably find enough charitable organizations on my own, but thanks for the idea. I didnt think of that.

That's what they do with unsold tickets anyway. And somebody gets to feel good for the night. It's better than eating the ticket.

Fletch 02-13-2005 04:10 PM

Freakin' Fish...

the man's got all the stats (this is where I'd put some kind of smiley, but I think you need to be in a smiley mood for one - but if I had one, it would be of a guy, on his knees, bowing with his arms extended).

Tawnos 02-13-2005 05:00 PM

Quote:

Heard it from a few places? The only viable source possible is Gary Bettman, who said that if the season was saved, it would consist of 28 games, one home-and-home series against each Conference opponent, followed by a full, regular playoffs.

By the way, not that I'd buy em from you (well, maybe some)... but given that they are obviously worth so little to you, I'd want them at under face value.

patnyrnyg 02-13-2005 05:36 PM

So, you want hockey back, yet you are unwilling to pay face value?

Sorry, I do not buy ANYTHING Gary Bettman said. If Gary Bettman walked into my house and told me I was wearing a black T-Shirt (which I am at the moment) I wouldn't believe him.

Fish 02-13-2005 05:56 PM

Quote:

I listened in on the last Bettman news conference, he said their intention is to have a regular playoffs.

Tawnos 02-13-2005 06:39 PM

Quote:

So, you want hockey back, yet you are unwilling to pay face value?

Sorry, I do not buy ANYTHING Gary Bettman said. If Gary Bettman walked into my house and told me I was wearing a black T-Shirt (which I am at the moment) I wouldn't believe him.

That last is ridiculous.

However, with the tickets thing, it's not what it's worth to me... it's what it's worth to you. In a normal season, I would only go to 2 or 3 games anyway. I'd be perfectly content catching a couple of games and watching the rest on TV as always. You're the one that would be anxious to get rid of them, much more so than I am to buy them.

JCProdigy 02-14-2005 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish
I listened in on the last Bettman news conference, he said their intention is to have a regular playoffs.

I think what Patnyrnyg was referring to was somebody's opinion on a radio or tv show from a couple of weeks ago. I remember hearing the same thing but I can't quite remember where from. It could have been JD. But it was just one analysist's opinion on what the NHL could do to keep fan interest up in every market. Try to make fans believe that their team will play some "meaningful" games this year ie playoff games. The regular season in this scenario would just be for seeding purposes. Interesting purposal although I don't see it ever happening.