HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Edmonton/Anaheim Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=129149)

sidelines 02-13-2005 12:57 PM

Edmonton/Anaheim Proposal

To Anaheim: Rob Schremp
To Edmonton: Sergei Federov

Just wondering if anyone thinks this proposal could work. Oilers have Pouliot as a center, so it does leave a gaping hole for center prospects. And there missing a first line center. Anaheim is looking to get younger, and they add Perry's team mate from London into the mix. What do you think?

It Kills Me 02-13-2005 12:59 PM

Can Edmonton afford Sergei's contract?

sidelines 02-13-2005 01:02 PM

Maybe not right now, but probably under a new CBA.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 02-13-2005 01:03 PM

Why? We need Schremp AND Federov (although he's far from my first choice). Think other prospects maybe.

Reilly311 02-13-2005 01:12 PM

if edmonton was actually built to win a cup and could afford Fedorov, yeah, I'd do that deal. Edmonton needs a lot more thana #1 center though.

Pepper 02-13-2005 01:13 PM

Anaheim would do this in a heart-beat, getting rid of Fedorov's contract allows them to sign a player like Lindros for much less.

Oilers don't have the dough to pay Fedorov so Ducks would have to take ~2M of his salary.

s7ark 02-13-2005 01:14 PM

No good. We aren't a cup contender and looking for that final piece so it does us no good to get older. Federov would be a great addition to Edmonton, but he isn't likely to win us a cup during his career. I am not saying Schremp will either, but Schremp at least has a lot of time to play with.

Otherwise not bad, but I am not willing to trade the future for the present quite yet. In a few years, if some of our prospects turn out, we could be looking at a deal on this genre, but for now, I just don't see it. He is 35 after all.

A team like Ottawa might be intested though... They are really close to a cup and could use a top line C to give Spezza a few more years of seasoning.

It Kills Me 02-13-2005 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark

A team like Ottawa might be intested though... They are really close to a cup and could use a top line C to give Spezza a few more years of seasoning.

I think Spezza is already a first liner.

Pepper 02-13-2005 01:23 PM

Fedorov + 2nd rounder for Spezza anyone?

Boomhower 02-13-2005 01:24 PM

Interesting proposal, Fedorov (and a goalie) would make the Oilers a really good team. Probably too expensive though...

Safir* 02-13-2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper
Fedorov + 2nd rounder for Spezza anyone?

No thank you. Spezza is younger, cheaper and had only 10 points less than Feds, while playing on the third line. Feds played with far more superior linemates.

Quote:

Why do you think the Senators traded away Bonk?

To make Spezza the teams undisputed #1 center.

s7ark 02-13-2005 02:01 PM

I still don't see Spezza as ready to lead a team to the Cup yet. Do you really see that? He has that kind of potential but I would give him a few years to mature a bit. If you are content to wait for your chance at the cup that is cool.

oil slick 02-13-2005 02:51 PM

Isn't Federovs salary 10 million? I think Federov is fantastic, but 10 million on one player is not possible.

Safir* 02-13-2005 02:54 PM

Quote:

I still don't see Spezza as ready to lead a team to the Cup yet. Do you really see that? He has that kind of potential but I would give him a few years to mature a bit. If you are content to wait for your chance at the cup that is cool.

I and most Ottawa fans feel comfortable to go into the season with Jason as our #1 center.

trentmccleary 02-13-2005 02:57 PM

Quote:

Nope, I think Hossa, Alfredsson, Chara and Redden could lead the Sens to a Cup. Spezza would be a nice supporting player for now. A supporting player who will start outscoring Fedorov starting this season.

Pepper 02-13-2005 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomACE
I and most Ottawa fans feel comfortable to go into the season with Jason as our #1 center.

You can once again kiss your Cup hopes goodbye if you're taking on Leafs, Flyers etc. with 22y no.1 center.

Works in regular season but not in play-offs where experience means difference between winning and losing.

trentmccleary 02-13-2005 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepper
You can once again kiss your Cup hopes goodbye if you're taking on Leafs, Flyers etc. with 22y no.1 center.

Works in regular season but not in play-offs where experience means difference between winning and losing.

Mike Eastwood is 36, maybe we should use him instead.

VanW27 02-13-2005 02:59 PM

Didn't Fedorov have all these rediculas player options to get out of his contract, will he even be under contract with the ducks when hockey starts back up. I could be imagining things but if anyone knows anything about it i would like to see how his contract works.

misfit 02-13-2005 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil slick
Isn't Federovs salary 10 million? I think Federov is fantastic, but 10 million on one player is not possible.

This year it's 6, but I think it goes up next year to 8.

HuskyFlames 02-13-2005 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Nope, I think Hossa, Alfredsson, Chara and Redden could lead the Sens to a Cup. Spezza would be a nice supporting player for now. A supporting player who will start outscoring Fedorov starting this season.

It has been quite a few years now and Redden, Allfie, Chara and Hossa haven't really led the Senators anywhere near to a cup. They are stellar in regular season but haven't really been great come playoff time, especially when you think how solid that core of 4 guys really is.

As far as Spezza supporting them to a cup, that is all he will be right now. I don't see such a younger player as a key cup run type player at this point. Unless, the other top 4 core players start getting their act together, the Sens will continue to do an early exit each post season.

PDO 02-13-2005 03:15 PM

If Federov was a couple years younger I think it'd work.. but he's just a bit too old, and could only really help the team for 2 more years at the most.

I think with a 24% rollback it would be interesting to see who the Oiler management does go after though, because a legitimate first round center would guarentee this team 3 home playoff games, and could quite possibly get the team into the second round... that's a lot of playoff revenue.

Safir* 02-13-2005 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
It has been quite a few years now and Redden, Allfie, Chara and Hossa haven't really led the Senators anywhere near to a cup. They are stellar in regular season but haven't really been great come playoff time, especially when you think how solid that core of 4 guys really is.

The Senators fell one game short of playing the Mighty Ducks. Now what are you talking about again?

trentmccleary 02-13-2005 03:49 PM

Quote:

It has been quite a few years now and Redden, Allfie, Chara and Hossa haven't really led the Senators anywhere near to a cup.

Did you miss the year they were 2:14 away from the Cup finals?
The year before that they made it to Game 7 in the 2nd round.

Quote:

They are stellar in regular season but haven't really been great come playoff time, especially when you think how solid that core of 4 guys really is.
As far as Spezza supporting them to a cup, that is all he will be right now. I don't see such a younger player as a key cup run type player at this point. Unless, the other top 4 core players start getting their act together, the Sens will continue to do an early exit each post season.

Well, considering that Hossa, Redden and Phillips were 23, 24 and 23 years old 3 years ago... I'll assume that I don't have to justify anything before that.

Our 4 core players:
Hossa has improved every season he's been in the playoffs. Last season, I think it's fair to say that with the exception of unscreened Nieuwendyk shots from the blueline on Lalime :cry: ... Hossa was the most dangerous offensive player in the Ott-Tor series.
Your theory about Alfredsson is just dead wrong. This has been his only bad postseason and it wasn't for a lack of effort.
Chara has been with the team for 3 years and was injured and playing horribly in his 1st postseason with us.

Spezza and Havlat represent quite an upgrade over Bonk and MacEachern in terms of a supporting cast. The defense is also a lot better than it has ever been(especially Phillips).

But you wouldn't know any of this, because you obviously don't watch Ottawa in the playoffs.
I'm just puzzled as to why you show up in every Sens thread and post some uninformed comments, only to have me chase you away.
I don't care if your opinion is different... but stay and fight it out. Stop running away.

For example... why won't Prusek succeed as a starter? (that question was posed to you a day or two ago).

Chayos 02-13-2005 03:49 PM

He was saying that the players listed did not lead the sens to the stanley cup as you were mentioning. The talent that teh sens have should be doing more than they have and so i have to agree with him(GASP i agreed with a flames fan i must bathe), these players have not "lead" the sens to teh cup yet.

I also think the sens are only really 2 players from winning the cup.

1) a 1st line left winger with grit( ie smyth, Doan, Morrow type guy)

2) a proven goalie( hasek is a joke IMO)

until those 2 spots are filled they will continue to pretend.

The rest of the spot on teh team are totally over the top.

Pepper 02-13-2005 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Mike Eastwood is 36, maybe we should use him instead.

If you were trying to make a point, you failed.