HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Flyers / Capitals game - Lodon, Ontario (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=12951)

Reggio 09-20-2003 06:00 PM

Flyers / Capitals game - Lodon, Ontario

Hey,

I just came home from the Flyers and Capitals game at the John Labatt Centre in London. The Flyers fans will have an exciting team this year. To recap some of tonights players/lines/prospects:

-the line of Handzus/Williams/Gagne was by far Philly's best offensive line (produced 6 points). Quick to the puck in the Caps end, aggresive on the attack and solid player positioning both on the offense and defensive zones. IF this line is keeped together for the regular season...WATCH OUT!!!

- a player who wore the # 20 (Radovan Somik) played very solid. Scored a nice goal in the 3rd period, played on the first line of the powerplay as well as on the penalty killing. Watch for this player to start in Philly this year or start in the AHL and eventually move up sometime through mid-season.

- Joni Pitkanen will be the Flyers Quarterback for years to come. This kid made a few errors in the defensive zone (not moving the puck quick enough) but overall showed solid potential. He's the big offensive defencemen the Flyers need although he needs to use his size to his advantage.

- both Hackett and Esche played a solid game. Look for Esche to play equal amount of games to Hackett. Hackett got the shutout and Esche allowed 2 goals.

3 Stars of the game;

#1- Jeff Hackett
#2- Justin Williams
#3- Dennis Seidenberg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Reggio 00'

Stars of the game;

CharlieGirl 09-20-2003 06:11 PM

Did Richards (#18 I believe) play? If so, how did he do?

Thanks!

Reggio 09-20-2003 06:35 PM

Richards

Mike Richards did play. Although he didn't stant out in anyway (skating, offensive attack, defensive positioning, playmaking etc.) he didn't make any major errors either. He was a bit on the small side and from what I saw, he will need a few years in the minors to develop and "thicken" out. I know he was drafted this year with Carter, but between him and Jeff, Jeff is a few steps, and years ahead of him. Unfortunately, I can't remenber who he played with.

Reggio 00'

IronMarshal 09-20-2003 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggio
Hey,

I just came home from the Flyers and Capitals game at the John Labatt Centre in London. The Flyers fans will have an exciting team this year. To recap some of tonights players/lines/prospects:

-the line of Handzus/Williams/Gagne was by far Philly's best offensive line (produced 6 points). Quick to the puck in the Caps end, aggresive on the attack and solid player positioning both on the offense and defensive zones. IF this line is keeped together for the regular season...WATCH OUT!!!

- a player who wore the # 20 (Radovan Somik) played very solid. Scored a nice goal in the 3rd period, played on the first line of the powerplay as well as on the penalty killing. Watch for this player to start in Philly this year or start in the AHL and eventually move up sometime through mid-season.

- Joni Pitkanen will be the Flyers Quarterback for years to come. This kid made a few errors in the defensive zone (not moving the puck quick enough) but overall showed solid potential. He's the big offensive defencemen the Flyers need although he needs to use his size to his advantage.

- both Hackett and Esche played a solid game. Look for Esche to play equal amount of games to Hackett. Hackett got the shutout and Esche allowed 2 goals.

3 Stars of the game;

#1- Jeff Hackett
#2- Justin Williams
#3- Dennis Seidenberg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Reggio 00'

Stars of the game;

Thanks for the fill in. FYI Somik was a regular in Philly last year when he wasn't injured (8 goals and played PK).
Seidenberg must have hads a good game.

Reggio 09-20-2003 07:17 PM

Flyers and Caps game

Dennis Seidenberg played a solid game and picked up a couple of points (scored a goal and an assist). Isn't a very big or physical defencemen, but moves the puck quickly and accurately out of the zone. I can see him getting between 25-35 points this season.

As for Somik, I didn't realize he played 60 games with the Flyers last season (until after my report I wanted to know a little more about him and looked him up on the TSN web site). He picked up something like 18 points and was a +9 in 60 games. From what I saw (and not knowing anything about him) I thought he was one of the better players that stood out in tonights game. He's definately going to have a solid season.

CharlieGirl 09-21-2003 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggio
Mike Richards did play. Although he didn't stant out in anyway (skating, offensive attack, defensive positioning, playmaking etc.) he didn't make any major errors either. He was a bit on the small side and from what I saw, he will need a few years in the minors to develop and "thicken" out. I know he was drafted this year with Carter, but between him and Jeff, Jeff is a few steps, and years ahead of him. Unfortunately, I can't remenber who he played with.

Reggio 00'

Thanks! That's pretty much what I expected -- I just wasn't sure he played.

Dr Love 09-21-2003 08:37 AM

Thanks Reggio. The Flyers radio announcers had nothing but great things to say about the arena and fans, they really enjoyed it.

Epoch 09-21-2003 08:41 AM

why was this game in London,Ontario?

CharlieGirl 09-21-2003 08:46 AM

I don't know how they determine where the preseason games are played - the only thing I can think of is it's Hackett's and Carter's hometown. Kitchener is hosting Buffalo/Tampa Bay next week.

Reggio 09-21-2003 01:00 PM

JLC, London, Ontario

( I heard) The reason why the game was in London at the John Labatt Centre is that the owners of the Flyers actually own part (not sure how much) of the arena. Even during the warm up, all they keeped showing on the score board was the Flyers logo (very pro-Flyer).

In any case, (even though I'm a Habs fan) I wouldn't mind seeing Philly play in London again. Good, solid hockey....

Reggio 00'

golfmade 09-21-2003 02:39 PM

Great to hear about Seidenberg doing well, I really hope he gets playing time with the Flyers this year!

gohabsgo2010 09-21-2003 03:03 PM

Just to let you Flyers fans know, Hackett played very well. This included a great toe save on a Bondra snap shot from the circle. I talked to Richards after Carter after the Morning Skate, both are real nice guys. The paper said that Carter was returned to the OHL though?

The Gagne - Handzus - Williams line was wonderful at the morning practice, which seemed to be directed by your ass. coach (Hitch was sitting in the stands :P). Gagne has incredible speed. I couldn't believe it. Kapanen was flying aswell in the morning, but when paired with Primeau and Brashear for the game, he couldn't seem to finish anything -- but the spark was still there.

Dr Love 09-22-2003 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl.roberts
The paper said that Carter was returned to the OHL though?

Both Carter and Richards were returned to their junior teams. There's no place for them to play, there's already too many forwards as it is.

CharlieGirl 09-22-2003 10:04 AM

They were returned to their junior clubs just in time to play against one another in Kitchener on Friday!

Dykhuis26 09-22-2003 10:43 AM

Anyone who was in London make a stop to slap around Bonnie and Carl Lindros after the game?

Dr Love 09-22-2003 10:44 AM

Scratch my earlier report, it appears that Carter and Richards will be around for a few more days, according to Panaccio's column today.

CharlieGirl 09-22-2003 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Scratch my earlier report, it appears that Carter and Richards will be around for a few more days, according to Panaccio's column today.

I don't know that you're wrong - the Kitchener paper is reporting that Richards has gone home for his Grandmother's funeral before joining the Rangers on Wednesday.