HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Potentially big issue if the season starts up (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1295457)

Krut 11-20-2012 08:03 PM

Potentially big issue if the season starts up

With Khabibulin injured, and possibly retiring, I think that it is clear that the Oilers need to address the goaltending situation sometime before hockey starts again. I'm praying that Dubnyk finds some consistency to his game and grabs the starters role, but he hasn't done anything to this point in his career that indicates that he can play at a consistently high level over an entire season.

I was strongly in the buyout/bury Khabibulin camp in the off season because I think that playing a 40+ year old goaltender who is inevitably going to suck, get injured, or both is no way to win or build quality depth at the goalie position.

Unfortunately this opportunity has passed us (thanks Tambo), and we now have a problem. If we start playing and Dubnyk plays like ****, we aren't going to have anyone in the organization that can reasonably play goal at the NHL level. Even if Bulin is healthy, I highly doubt he will be able to play even average for any length of time. Either that or he very likely gets injured again.

It's a damn shame that it takes Tambellini until it's too late to figure things like this out when the negative indicators are painfully obvious. Now we basically have the choice of either Roloson, Turco, or Brent Johnson. God help us.

franfrey* 11-20-2012 08:16 PM

I imagine Danis would be a better option than any of those old guys.

Blue And Orange 11-20-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krut (Post 55922987)
With Khabibulin injured, and possibly retiring, I think that it is clear that the Oilers need to address the goaltending situation sometime before hockey starts again. I'm praying that Dubnyk finds some consistency to his game and grabs the starters role, but he hasn't done anything to this point in his career that indicates that he can play at a consistently high level over an entire season.

I was strongly in the buyout/bury Khabibulin camp in the off season because I think that playing a 40+ year old goaltender who is inevitably going to suck, get injured, or both is no way to win or build quality depth at the goalie position.

Unfortunately this opportunity has passed us (thanks Tambo), and we now have a problem. If we start playing and Dubnyk plays like ****, we aren't going to have anyone in the organization that can reasonably play goal at the NHL level. Even if Bulin is healthy, I highly doubt he will be able to play even average for any length of time. Either that or he very likely gets injured again.

It's a damn shame that it takes Tambellini until it's too late to figure things like this out when the negative indicators are painfully obvious. Now we basically have the choice of either Roloson, Turco, or Brent Johnson. God help us.

I'm not worried about goaltending at all. I think Dubnyk made some good strides last year and he will take big steps this year (if there is one).

Also, with a longer off-season, Whitney's ankle might've healed 100% and he will play to a level we expect him to. Hopefully, he plays well enough to warrant a contract extension.

Other than that, not ready to give up hope for a season.

SK13 11-20-2012 08:20 PM

Danis is probably as good of an option as Khabibulin is/was.

No question it's a position of weakness, but after signing Dubnyk to that contract, we definitely aren't in the hunt for a starter.

okgooil 11-20-2012 08:23 PM

bulin is hurt? I am shocked:amazed: seriously though, when did this happen?

jumptheshark 11-20-2012 08:23 PM

option B, C or D

Leafs get Luongo and trade Riemer here for a pick

c

Mason from the Jackets for a song--BJS got the guy from the Flyers

D

Yann Denis as DD's caddy

E

Peters or Boucher from the Canes

F

Ty conklin comes back --Talking with a guy I know--Conks liked Edmonton

there are other options out there

this thread is yet another thread about the fact that Tambo needs to fill a lot of holes and he is not doing it fast enough for the fans.

Everyone in the universe knows that the oilers are in the market for a goalie due to Habby's problems. That is one reason why it was suggested the oilers may look at Crawford who the haws are reportedly looking to move.

since april we have had about ten threads titled "oilers biggest need" C, D G are the main talking points. It is nothing new to complain about the fact the oilers need soimething in net. Some people believe DD can do the job after three years of being a caddy.

If DD is not the answer and you want a clear number one goalie

Which of the bog four do you offer Vancouver for Luongo? This what this thread is about right? There are about 6 nhl teams that are looking to upgrade the goalie position

The Nuge 11-20-2012 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yourface (Post 55923273)
I imagine Danis would be a better option than any of those old guys.

This! Call Danis up and let Bunz split the time with Roy

nabob 11-20-2012 08:41 PM

Dubnyk has never been given a chance to prove that he can be consistant over a full season. He was one of the best goalies in the league over the last 30 games of the season last year, the only time he has been given the ball and been allowed to run with it.

402 11-20-2012 09:20 PM

I didn't know bulin was hurt

My confidence in dd isn't really unwavering I'd like to see him get a chance to prove himself but last year he let in many many bad goals then again we had crappy d
If bulin is out probably danis would backup dd as others have said if the season turns out to be a disaster in net obviously there would work to do in that area in the Off season but if there is a year this year I can see us sticking with dd and danis or bulin that seems more then likely

Bergeron47 11-20-2012 09:33 PM

Don't worry, Montoya is UFA next summer. Obviously that's barring an extension from the Rags

s7ark 11-20-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergeron47 (Post 55924851)
Don't worry, Montoya is UFA next summer. Obviously that's barring an extension from the Rags

Keep on dreaming. I heard the Rags and MSG were already planing his statue.

As for goalies, I would be cool with trying Danis before looking for a trade. DD has played well for stretches and it's worth seeing what he can do. But if he falters we do need to start looking elsewhere, be it RL, Bernier, or whoever.

Oil Gauge 11-20-2012 09:58 PM

Bulin has been making some good progress. Looks a lot more comfortable on the ice lately. Could be good ready for January if the league is back by then.

The Head Crusher 11-20-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 55925263)
Keep on dreaming. I heard the Rags and MSG were already planing his statue.

As for goalies, I would be cool with trying Danis before looking for a trade. DD has played well for stretches and it's worth seeing what he can do. But if he falters we do need to start looking elsewhere, be it RL, Bernier, or whoever.

No kidding, but what about this Lunquvist guy that is in their system. He is suffocating in their system behind Montoya.

Krut 11-20-2012 10:35 PM

Just for the record I'm fine with Dubnyk as the starter, but I think we need at least a semi-decent insurance backup, and Khabibulin/Danis don't come close to satisfying that need IMO.

popo 11-20-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 55923411)

Ty conklin comes back --Talking with a guy I know--Conks liked Edmonton

The feeling is not mutual;)

The Nuge 11-20-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Head Crusher (Post 55925939)
No kidding, but what about this Lunquvist guy that is in their system. He is suffocating in their system behind Montoya.

does it even matter when you've got a guy like Montoya?

Alex87 11-20-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krut (Post 55926157)
Just for the record I'm fine with Dubnyk as the starter, but I think we need at least a semi-decent insurance backup, and Khabibulin/Danis don't come close to satisfying that need IMO.

Danis has posted some good numbers against strong opposition in the AHL, and it actually seems a bit weird that he's never been able to stick in the NHL for any stretch of games outside of a run with a bad NYI team. To me, he's the obvious and cheap option for someone who could play 20-30 games reliably. Who knows, he could even emerge as another Roloson and play his best hockey in his thirties.

Lay Z Boy GM 11-20-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by popo (Post 55926593)
The feeling is not mutual;)

I liked Conklin. Most of the time.

The Head Crusher 11-20-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nuge (Post 55926765)
does it even matter when you've got a guy like Montoya?

True, but maybe he can acquire Lundquvist cheap.

McArthur 11-21-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM (Post 55926839)
I liked Conklin. Most of the time.

My team has always been Edmonton. But.... When they put Conklin in net game 1 of the SCF series, I stood up and left the house I was watching that game at. We all know how that ended. We just signed dubnyk to big money, he better pan out!

okgooil 11-21-2012 12:18 AM

Danis actually probably deserves another shot at the NHL. He put up great numbers last year and actually has a career 911 sv% at the nhl level. not bad really.

Bergeron47 11-21-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McArthur (Post 55928003)
My team has always been Edmonton. But.... When they put Conklin in net game 1 of the SCF series, I stood up and left the house I was watching that game at. We all know how that ended. We just signed dubnyk to big money, he better pan out!

It's true, there couldn't have been more than 5 minutes left and my mom was asking me why I was so devostated when Conklin was put in. All I said was 'Mom we're going to lose the game before overtime'.
I can't remember what specifically happened for 90% of Oilers nation to assume Conklin would blow that game, but it must have been horrible.

Seedling 11-21-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okgooil (Post 55928155)
Danis actually probably deserves another shot at the NHL. He put up great numbers last year and actually has a career 911 sv% at the nhl level. not bad really.

I think he would be a great guy to have in tandem or as a backup. One year, see what he does.

ales83fan 11-21-2012 02:29 AM

I'm interested to see Danis.

And hey, if all that's holding us back is goaltending, that's an easy fix.

oilersfan11 11-21-2012 05:26 AM

Just call up Yann Danis .