HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Was-edm (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1295549)

Halpysback 11-21-2012 12:30 AM

Was-edm

To Edmonton - Tom Wilson, Jeff Schultz, 2nd

To Washington - Ladislav Smid, 4th

Edmonton seems to be dying for a guy who can protect their skilled forwards while playing a regular shift, and Wilson projects to be that player. Smid's contract is up by the time they're ready to compete, and they have a lot of defensemen coming up. Schultz can be a decent #4 to fill the gap and eat up PK minutes, provide a stay at home partner for Schultz or form a shutdown type pairing with Schultz.

Washington finally gets a partner for Green, and can afford to move Wilson with their surplus of wingers.

Vankiller Whale 11-21-2012 12:32 AM

3 Schultzes on one team? Lol.

I doubt Edmonton does that though. They need all the quality D they can get.

CSimpson18 11-21-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halpysback (Post 55929019)
Edmonton seems to be dying for a guy who can protect their skilled forwards while playing a regular shift, and Wilson projects to be that player. Smid's contract is up by the time they're ready to compete, and they have a lot of defensemen coming up.

Edmonton is dying for good defensemen. Smid is still young, will almost definitely resign, loves Edmonton and is loved by all Oilers fans, and is worth more than this package anyway.

Draekke 11-21-2012 12:35 AM

Speaking for myself, and most of the Oiler posters that I've seen, Smid is not going anywhere.

Personally after the "Big 5," Smid is the next untouchable for me.

That being said, I don't know much about the two players being sent back...perhaps it's decent value with EDM getting the 2nd and two players, but Smid is and has been one of the bright spots for our team in the last couple of years.

Good proposal, as you're trying to address needs for both teams, but I like Smid too much to trade him away. His grittiness, and attitude around his own net is far too valuable.

Eskimo44 11-21-2012 12:40 AM

Not even close.

WeridAl 11-21-2012 12:56 AM

Not a chance in happening, Oilers pass.

488fitter 11-21-2012 01:17 AM

What they said ^

Bryanbryoil 11-21-2012 01:31 AM

Wilson isn't really all that great of a fighter is he? I know that he's a big boy that can hit like a Mack Truck, but I've never heard of him as being even as good of a fighter as Mitch Moroz who we took in the 2nd round this past draft. We are also in need of Smid's services so unless Schultz steps in and takes Smid's role and we don't skip a beat this trade doesn't make much sense from our perspective as much as we could use a Wilson in our system.

thadd 11-21-2012 01:34 AM

Smid won't be leaving Edmonton and it would take the likes of Taylor Hall to get him off of our team.

He's solid, physical, responsible, he loves playing in Edmonton and he was very durable last year.

Smid is horrible unappreciated on these boards and he's easily our best defenseman.

Carlzner 11-21-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draekke (Post 55929075)
Speaking for myself, and most of the Oiler posters that I've seen, Smid is not going anywhere.

Personally after the "Big 5," Smid is the next untouchable for me.

That being said, I don't know much about the two players being sent back...perhaps it's decent value with EDM getting the 2nd and two players, but Smid is and has been one of the bright spots for our team in the last couple of years.

Good proposal, as you're trying to address needs for both teams, but I like Smid too much to trade him away. His grittiness, and attitude around his own net is far too valuable.

Wow, 6 untouchables on one team. Surely they're a cup contender with that many top players, right?

Dr John Carlson 11-21-2012 06:09 AM

I'd do it if I were Washington.

txpd 11-21-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 55929489)
Wilson isn't really all that great of a fighter is he? I know that he's a big boy that can hit like a Mack Truck, but I've never heard of him as being even as good of a fighter as Mitch Moroz who we took in the 2nd round this past draft..

dont take this as an endorsement of the trade or an argument for it. simply a reply to this comment above.

in today's nhl a player that can skate your first line and belong and hits like a mack truck is your enforcer. first line players dont fight much for a reason.

i'll put it another way. nobody in the nhl tries to take advantage or take liberties with nicklas backstrom anymore. if they do, ovechkin goes into seek and destroy mode. a player is more likely to get knocked out of a game by getting runover by ovechkin than getting in a fight.

if wilson is a serious trucker that can hold his own on a top line like a mike knuble could, he's going to be valuable.

Grod 11-21-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner (Post 55930575)
Wow, 6 untouchables on one team. Surely they're a cup contender with that many top players, right?

Well so far they are tied for first in the NHL in points so its hard not to suggest they are among the leagues elite right now....:sarcasm:

CSimpson18 11-21-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

The Oilers situation is unprecedented. A really bad team with a bunch of really good young players. Smid isn't untouchable but would only be available in a package for an elite defenseman.

roboninja 11-21-2012 08:10 AM

Quote:

Untouchable due to potential, not current output. But you knew that before you posted.

ManByng 11-21-2012 08:19 AM

although i would LOVE to see Tom Wilson here, after we almost traded Smid along with Penner and Cogs to Ottawa for Heatley ( thankfully he did us a favour and didn't want to come, thank you Heater!!), Smid has just gotten better and better every season since and is a pretty valuable member of this D here. as was said above, Smid loves it here and will no doubt be re-signed soon and won't be going anywhere.

Hynh 11-21-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

The Oilers have 4 NHL defensemen. The only way they trade one of them is if they are getting an upgrade. Greene and Stoll for Visnovsky is an excellent example of the kind of trade the Oilers might part with Smid in.

Petro Points 11-21-2012 08:38 AM

Smid is a pending UFA... This a lot to give up for him unless an extension is already in place.

Petro Points 11-21-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Ovy, Backstrom, Alzner, Carlson and Green... u guys have a few yourself.
Will give you Smid for any one of them ;)

Mystlyfe 11-21-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 55930879)
nobody in the nhl tries to take advantage or take liberties with nicklas backstrom anymore.

Huh?

fedfed 11-21-2012 10:05 AM

If I'm Washington, I'm not doing this. Last checked, wingers was our main position of need. If there's no season, our young D prospects will get older and we'll have a chance to grab a D in a pretty good UFA market, too.

txpd 11-21-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystlyfe (Post 55932641)
Huh?

that highlight is the exception to the rule. do you watch capitals games on a regular basis? do you see backstrom being targeting and intimidated?

btw...do you think bourque having to fight for doing that would deter him from doing it again? no. it doesnt.

on the other hand as to the 6 untouchables on a terrible team. that caps missed the playoffs with ovechkin, backstrom, semin, green, laich, schultz all on the same roster. at that time i am fairly sure that they were all untouchable at that point. teams dont trade young players in a salary cap world. they are more capable of overperformaning their salary.

Mystlyfe 11-21-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 55936505)
that highlight is the exception to the rule. do you watch capitals games on a regular basis? do you see backstrom being targeting and intimidated?

You should know I watch Caps games on a regular basis based on the fact I'm posting in a good deal of the Caps GDTs.
I see plenty of Caps targetted on a regular basis. Backstrom is strong enough to fend for himself out there most of the time. But plenty of teams have targetted Green, Semin, Johansson, and Perreault. Obviously Ovechkin isn't enough of an intimidation factor to stop that, or even prevent the "exception" of an elbow to Backstrom's noggin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 55936505)
btw...do you think bourque having to fight for doing that would deter him from doing it again? no. it doesnt.

If he only has to fight Matt Hendricks.... :laugh::cry:

franfrey* 11-21-2012 12:37 PM

Smid to Schultz is a pretty huge downgrade on defense. Smid is the Oilers' best defenseman by quite a margin and for a team that's already starving for top-pairing defenders, this is a recipe for disaster.

SephF 11-21-2012 12:44 PM

No way, Smid is very valuable to Edmonton. Schultz is a plug.