HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Mixed Martial Arts (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   which MMA events have you been to? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1295975)

Ozolinsh_27 11-21-2012 02:41 PM

which MMA events have you been to?

And how was your experience at it?

I have a chance to go to UFC 155 next month, and my flight gets in at 6:20pm in Vegas the day of - which means (besides hoping my flight isn't delayed): rush to hotel, check in and ditch bags then head to MGM Grand.

I've never been to a UFC event ever, and the tickets possibility just came up - I'm in serious debate mode here and hope like hell my flight isn't delayed.

I Am Beat You 11-21-2012 03:41 PM

129, 140, and 152, all in Toronto. The experience each time was fantastic, but seeing the Rogers Centre packed for a UFC event was pretty special.

I didn't have what anyone would call great seats for the first two, but I was fine with watching the fights mostly on the big screen. Plus, the atmosphere is insane, unlike any other sporting event I've been to.

CNS 11-21-2012 04:47 PM

Wait so you're flying to Vegas to go to an event and your flight lands 40 minutes before the card starts? AND you plan on getting luggage (which takes 20-30 minutes by itself if you checked any bags) as well as going to a hotel and checking in. Even if your flight was on time, you'd miss a fight or two and every single prelim. Interesting.

Anyways, never been to an event. Never ever plan on going to Vegas and just hasn't worked out to get to any events here in Cali.

MeatTornado 11-21-2012 04:49 PM

I went to UFC 131 in Vancouver (JDS - Carwin) and UFN 24 down in Seattle (Nogueira - Davis). Unreal atmosphere, lots of fun at both events.

Peter Griffin 11-21-2012 09:43 PM

UFC 115 and 131, both in Vancouver, and UFC 116 and 126, both in Vegas. Heading to the Fox card in Seattle in December.

As has been mentioned before, the fights in Vegas are just that much bettter overall IMO. Both arenas at the MGM and Mandalay Bay are better suited for Boxing/MMA then any multi-purpose arena and just the overall feel is different because you're in Vegas and there are usually a lot of celebs/fighters around.

The first event I ever went to in Vancouver is still my personal favorite because they screwed up our seats(put them directly behind screens) and they ended up giving us $600 tickets that were right where the fighters walked out. Ended up getting on tv a bunch of times and getting pictures/autographs from fighters that were hanging around the entrances.

MurrayBannerman 11-21-2012 10:31 PM

UFC on Fox 2 and some local crap.

I had a great time. I'm definitely going to UFC on Fox 6.

kurt 11-21-2012 10:33 PM

2nd row center of the lower bowl for UFC 131 in Vancouver (for free no less - thanks @DanaWhite).

Floor seats for the Strikeforce event in San Jose where Fabricio Werdum made history as the first man to beat Fedor. The floor was great. Slapped five with all the fighters on their way in and out, met King Mo, Gilbert Melendez, and a handful of other guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin (Post 55951687)
Heading to the Fox card in Seattle in December.

I'm probably headed to Seattle for the UFC on Fox event too. How much did you pay for tickets?

Peter Griffin 11-21-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt (Post 55952793)
I'm probably headed to Seattle for the UFC on Fox event too. How much did you pay for tickets?

$125 for middle lower bowl. Bit more than we wanted to spend but I think they only offered $50, $75 and $125 price points and the two cheaper ones were in the nosebleeds.

kurt 11-21-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin (Post 55953467)
$125 for middle lower bowl. Bit more than we wanted to spend but I think they only offered $50, $75 and $125 price points and the two cheaper ones were in the nosebleeds.

That's not too bad though! As far as I can tell the event is sold out, aside from single seats. I might end up paying substantially more than that for comparable seats.

ck26 11-22-2012 12:40 AM

120 (London, Bisping/Akiyama and Condit/Hardy) and 122 (Oberhausen, Germany, Okami/Marquardt). Atmosphere was unreal, especially for the British fighters in London, but having experienced the atmosphere before, I would only go now if I had really good seats ... like first 10-15 rows.

littleD 11-22-2012 06:43 AM

UFC 83 - the first one in Montreal. GSP-Serra II. Probably the best atmosphere of any event I've been to.

UFC 97 - again in Montreal. Silva-Leites, an awful main event. Left before the fight was over :D.

UFC 124 - Montreal again for GSP-Koscheck II. Honestly don't remember much about this event lol

UFC 129 - the big one in Toronto. Amazing atmosphere, absolute nosebleed seats. GSP-Shields had people leaving as early as third round. Lots of awesome finishes on this card though.

UFC 143 - Condit-Diaz in Las Vegas. Being at an event in Vegas is kinda awesome.

UFC 154 - just this past weekend in Montreal.

Considering 156 in Vegas on Superbowl weekend.

Ozolinsh_27 11-22-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnshockey (Post 55945309)
Wait so you're flying to Vegas to go to an event and your flight lands 40 minutes before the card starts? AND you plan on getting luggage (which takes 20-30 minutes by itself if you checked any bags) as well as going to a hotel and checking in. Even if your flight was on time, you'd miss a fight or two and every single prelim. Interesting.

Yeah, its definitely not ideal. The thing is, I've been booked for Las Vegas New Years since early Sept and it never occurred to me until my dad offered to buy me tickets the other day for the UFC event as a Christmas gift. It is a direct flight I'll be on though, but I'm notoriously paranoid about this sort of thing. I also just checked to leave a day ahead and its way too much. :baghead:

m9 11-22-2012 07:30 PM

Been to 4 UFCs..

UFC 71.. Rampage vs Liddell. Huge event at the time. Chuck was on the cover of ESPN the magazine and things were just starting to blow up. I've been to dozens of sporting events and when Chuck went down it was the quietest I've ever heard any building. Pretty surreal main event, and was a pretty cool moment. Also at the event was the Houston Alexander demolishing of Keith Jardine, which was a pretty insane fight to watch. I'm sure everyone has seen the fight by now, but the build up to the fight was pretty cool because Jardine was talking a ton of trash about the "no-name" Alexander. A lot of quick fights at this card, so overall it was a fun time.

UFN Seattle, Nog v Davis. A couple people have commented on this one already. An unusually deep UFN card made for a fun night of fights. The main and co-main were pretty boring, but the card had the Korean Zombie's FOTY twister finish, and also another awesome Johnny Hendricks KO.

UFC 131 in Vancouver, Dos Santos v Carwin. Again, another card that people have been to so I won't go into much detail. Not a great card, and overall probably the least fun UFC I've been to IMO.

UFC 132 in Vegas.. hit up back to back UFC's for Cruz v Faber. Another very deep card which featured a ton of crazy KO's (Leben/Wanderlei, Condit/Kim, Guillard/Roller, Dos Anjos/Sotoripolous) and overall a good fight card. It also featured the best moment I've been at a UFC for, which was Tito's crazy upset of Bader. Just an insane aura in the building after that happened, which continued a very fun night. Great atmosphere in the building, tons of fighters walking around, and celebrities left and right.

Overall I enjoy the UFC's in Vegas more than anything. As I've mentioned in other threads, the venues are basically made for fights and you can tell as soon as you are in there. Plus, it's always a great atmosphere.

DeathFromAbove 11-24-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozolinsh_27 (Post 55959135)
Yeah, its definitely not ideal. The thing is, I've been booked for Las Vegas New Years since early Sept and it never occurred to me until my dad offered to buy me tickets the other day for the UFC event as a Christmas gift. It is a direct flight I'll be on though, but I'm notoriously paranoid about this sort of thing. I also just checked to leave a day ahead and its way too much. :baghead:

You are going to miss so much of the card that it's almost not worth it to even go. I would sell the UFC tickets or bite the bullet and pay for a better flight. The live experience is so incredible, don't spoil your first time on a 2 or 3 fight card.

I've been to 113, 129, 140, Fox 2 & 152.

RJ8812 11-24-2012 11:49 AM

Would love to go to one in Montreal and Vegas some time

Ozolinsh_27 11-27-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove (Post 55998341)
You are going to miss so much of the card that it's almost not worth it to even go. I would sell the UFC tickets or bite the bullet and pay for a better flight. The live experience is so incredible, don't spoil your first time on a 2 or 3 fight card.

Oh, definitely didn't buy the tickets yet - we were still in debate mode and did end up deciding that the timelines are too short.

IceDaddy 02-25-2013 07:43 AM

97 - Silva vs Laites (boring)
113 - Machida vs Shogun 2
124 - GSP vs Kos 2

I have been to concerts, tons of hockey games. But I have never heard a crowd go nuts like when GSP came out for 124. Also the boos for Kos was almost as loud. The bell centre was shaking.

I Am Beat You 02-25-2013 04:51 PM

Going to UFC 158 in Montreal in a few weeks, can't wait.

KA BLAMO 03-04-2013 02:57 PM

I've been to UFC 113 in Montreal and UFC 129 in Toronto. I had a great time at both events and highly recommend going to one if you get a chance.