HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Your Post-Lockout Strategy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1296323)

Fenix Rises 2026 11-22-2012 07:35 AM

Your Post-Lockout Strategy
 
Hypothetically, let's say there's no season this year, but next season starts on schedule. I think we have the cap space to redefine our team as an immediate contender. Assuming the cap goes down, what should our strategy be next season?

A few options that come to mind:
A) Trade some cheap role players for better payers on cap-laden teams. (try to sandbag them a bit given that they're in tight against the cap and would otherwise lose players).
B) Hit the Free Agent Market hoping to get reasonable prices, knowing that there's not going to be a lot of teams out there spending.

Some interesting names out there set to hit free agency in 2013-14:
Semin, Getzlaf, Perry, Thomas, McDonald, Hainsey, Enstrom, Morrow, Regehr, Roy, Clowe, Gagne, Ryder, Edler, Pancakes, Fish, Weiss, etc., etc.

Full list is here: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...1&fa_type_id=2

Nac Mac Feegle 11-22-2012 07:44 AM

No, next year we'll still be a long, long ways from being a contender. Stay the course and keep developing the kids.

Fenix Rises 2026 11-22-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle (Post 55957203)
No, next year we'll still be a long, long ways from being a contender. Stay the course and keep developing the kids.

Buying up a few free agents doesn't preclude us from developing our prospects.

bta1976 11-22-2012 08:11 AM

If the season is canceled. The UFA's mentioned will not be FA's next year but will be in the 2014-15 season, since this year will not count against the contract years.

Legend Killer 11-22-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bta1976 (Post 55957423)
If the season is canceled. The UFA's mentioned will not be FA's next year but will be in the 2014-15 season, since this year will not count against the contract years.

I thought all contract years were burnt...

White Goodman 11-22-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legend Killer (Post 55957465)
I thought all contract years were burnt...

They are.

OgieO 11-22-2012 08:55 AM

So, we'd be without Gonchar, right?

I'd love to take a run at Edler and/or Enstrom. Both seem to fit our "fast defense" (or whatever we call it) perfectly.

I also take a run at Perry and even overpay him a bit as we're in the perfect cap situation with so many young players keeping our costs down.

I honestly think that makes our team Cup contenders. We'd need one of our forward prospects to hit but we've got 4 or 5 so our odds there are pretty good. If 2 of Stone, Silfverberg, Zinanejad, Hoffman, Prince or Petersson become decent top 9 players we're even better.

God Says No 11-22-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OgieO (Post 55957931)
So, we'd be without Gonchar, right?

and alfie. :(

Deku Scrub 11-22-2012 09:43 AM

Developing the young guns should be the main focus, but we should go after some free agents to fill the voids of Gonchar and Alfie. Guys like Enstrom and Edler would be perfect to replace Gonch, and there are a ton of forwards set to be available. Obviously we can't get everyone we want, but we should try.

koreaboy 11-22-2012 10:03 AM

assuming we blew the whole season i would say:

-replacing alfie and gonch would have to be top priorities, and difficult to do

-assuming lehner continues to be lights-out in bingo, we move anderson for a scoring winger or defenceman and going with lehner-bishop

White Goodman 11-22-2012 10:06 AM

Operation Edler.

RedWhiteBlackGold 11-22-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg (Post 55959027)
Operation Edler.

Operation Iginla. ;)

White Goodman 11-22-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold (Post 55959359)
Operation Iginla. ;)

Operation both of 'em? :yo:

RedWhiteBlackGold 11-22-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg (Post 55959409)
Operation both of 'em? :yo:

Touché.

Would make good Gonchar/Alfie replacements for sure. :cheers:

White Goodman 11-22-2012 10:45 AM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...w1jmo1_500.png

Edler with one of Alfie's sons. We got dis.

CanadianHockey 11-22-2012 10:47 AM

Edler/Enstrom. Nab one of those guys and the D is perhaps top-10 in the league.

White Goodman 11-22-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianHockey (Post 55959651)
Edler/Enstrom. Nab one of those guys and the D is perhaps top-10 in the league.

Enstrom signed a 5 year extension.

CanadianHockey 11-22-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg (Post 55959693)
Enstrom signed a 5 year extension.

This is what I get for reading the OP without critically thinking...

OgieO 11-22-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianHockey (Post 55959813)
This is what I get for reading the OP without critically thinking...

Yeah, got me too... But in my defense, it hurts when I think too much so I try and avoid it whenever possible.

derriko 11-22-2012 11:41 AM

So does anybody think theres any Minnesotas out there that could get Getzlaf / Perry in a package? I ask because I would looooove to get Perry. I would even pay him up to 8 million if needed (we were willing to take ok Nash at that price, and Perry is better and worth it imo)

Do Make Say Think 11-22-2012 12:00 PM

Once this CBA is settled there will most likely be amnesty buy outs meaning some new free agents will hit the market.
Until that happens thinking about who to target is rather futile.

Ouroboros 11-22-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derriko (Post 55960713)
So does anybody think theres any Minnesotas out there that could get Getzlaf / Perry in a package? I ask because I would looooove to get Perry. I would even pay him up to 8 million if needed (we were willing to take ok Nash at that price, and Perry is better and worth it imo)

Could see the Leafs landing both. They've got the cap space to sign them and can offer a chance to re-unite with the coach and GM they won the Cup with.

Marvelous Manked 11-22-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bta1976 (Post 55957423)
If the season is canceled. The UFA's mentioned will not be FA's next year but will be in the 2014-15 season, since this year will not count against the contract years.

:facepalm:

Way to go.

TrueGrit 11-22-2012 04:15 PM

Win draft lottery
Sign Edler
Profit

Qward 11-22-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 (Post 55957143)
Hypothetically, let's say there's no season this year, but next season starts on schedule. I think we have the cap space to redefine our team as an immediate contender. Assuming the cap goes down, what should our strategy be next season?

A few options that come to mind:
A) Trade some cheap role players for better payers on cap-laden teams. (try to sandbag them a bit given that they're in tight against the cap and would otherwise lose players).
B) Hit the Free Agent Market hoping to get reasonable prices, knowing that there's not going to be a lot of teams out there spending.

Some interesting names out there set to hit free agency in 2013-14:
Semin, Getzlaf, Perry, Thomas, McDonald, Hainsey, Enstrom, Morrow, Regehr, Roy, Clowe, Gagne, Ryder, Edler, Pancakes, Fish, Weiss, etc., etc.

Full list is here: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...1&fa_type_id=2

First target, Edler.
Second target, Perry.

Zibanejad/Spezza/Perry
Michalek/Turris/Silfverberg
Greening/Smith/Neil
Condra/O'brien/Stone

Edler/Karlsson
Cowen/Methot
Phillips/Weircioch


If we can afford to, sign Pancakes.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.