HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1296473)

JT8888 11-22-2012 01:30 PM

Draft

So if the season is canceled and they do a league wide lotto how does that work with traded picks? I don't remember what they did with traded picks last time.

damacles1156 11-22-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT8888 (Post 55962825)
So if the season is canceled and they do a league wide lotto how does that work with traded picks? I don't remember what they did with traded picks last time.

Pretty sure that means Columbus is going to have another lotto ball added to their total.

Not much changes, Columbus keeps the pick and gets a better shot at the lotto.

Ziggy Stardust 11-22-2012 02:03 PM

The Kings will have their own lotto balls to determine their position in the draft. The 2005 draft was also a snake draft, so the team picking 30th would also have the 31st pick in the following round and the team picking 1st would have the 60th pick in the 2nd round.

The trades picks will then go to its rightful owner. So if the Kings happen to be selected in the lotto as the 30th pick, Columbus gets that selection, and the Kings will pick 31st (if they maintain the snake draft for a lottery draft).

Holden Caulfield 11-22-2012 03:33 PM

IF there is no season and IF they use the same formula as last time, here is the breakdown for the order. As has been mentioned it was a snake draft as well.

TEAMS WITH THREE BALLS (7)
Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Toronto, Winnipeg

TEAMS WITH TWO BALLS (6)
Anaheim, Colorado, Florida, New York (I), St. Louis, Tampa Bay

TEAMS WITH ONE BALL (17)
Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, New York (R), Ottawa, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver, Washington

Los Angeles and New York R will have their own balls for later picks, as had been mentioned, even though Columbus owns their first round picks.

kingsfan 11-23-2012 08:48 AM

I feel sorry for Columbus if this ends up happening and our pick turns out to be like 30th or something crappy like that. As a Kings fan I'm glad to not be giving up something good, but Columbus sure could use some luck. Our history is bad, but even we haven't had to wait 13 years (and counting) for a single playoff win.

Granted, I wouldn't want to see us hand over a top 5 pick either, I don't wish them that much luck. Hopefully our pick is around middle of the pack. DL's real success comes in the 2nd round anyways.

RonSwanson* 11-23-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 55963813)
The Kings will have their own lotto balls to determine their position in the draft. The 2005 draft was also a snake draft, so the team picking 30th would also have the 31st pick in the following round and the team picking 1st would have the 60th pick in the 2nd round.

The trades picks will then go to its rightful owner. So if the Kings happen to be selected in the lotto as the 30th pick, Columbus gets that selection, and the Kings will pick 31st (if they maintain the snake draft for a lottery draft).

This would benefit the Kings. Imagine that.

Vamos Rafa 11-23-2012 11:15 PM

I still feel lucky that the 2005 top pick didn't go to the Schmucks.

Ziggy Stardust 11-24-2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grillinnap (Post 55993505)
I still feel lucky that the 2005 top pick didn't go to the Schmucks.

To add to that, it helped the Kings that the Ducks went with Bobby Ryan at #2 over Jack Johnson, who was projected the consensus 2nd pick behind Crosby.

Had the Ducks selected Johnson, they wouldn't be able to acquire him from Carolina, thus no Jeff Carter and likely no Stanley Cup. Funny how things work themselves out sometimes.

For instance, we could link the Cup win to Aki Berg. Berg resulted into a draft pick that turned to Mike Cammalleri. Cammalleri was traded at the 2008 draft, for a pick that would turn into Colten Teubert. The Kings also acquired a pick from that trade that the Kings used with Patrick O'Sullivan to land Justin Williams.

The Kings would turn Teubert to Dustin Penner, and the main asset acquired from the Bryan Smolinski acquisition from NYI (which later netted Tim Gleason from Ottawa) turned into Jeff Carter (courtesy of getting Jack Johnson from Carolina).

Jim Rutherford indirectly helped the Kings big time with those moves. Lombardi should buy him a drink.

kingsfan 11-24-2012 10:44 AM

I think that's the first time Aki Berg's been proven to be worth anything.

Shootmaster_44 11-24-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 55978659)
I feel sorry for Columbus if this ends up happening and our pick turns out to be like 30th or something crappy like that. As a Kings fan I'm glad to not be giving up something good, but Columbus sure could use some luck. Our history is bad, but even we haven't had to wait 13 years (and counting) for a single playoff win.

Granted, I wouldn't want to see us hand over a top 5 pick either, I don't wish them that much luck. Hopefully our pick is around middle of the pack. DL's real success comes in the 2nd round anyways.

If there is a season Columbus will still end up with the 30th pick, so I see nothing wrong with it. Quite frankly, I am glad that the upcoming draft means so little to the Kings at this point since we are young and really have no glaring holes.

kingsfan 11-26-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 (Post 56005623)
If there is a season Columbus will still end up with the 30th pick, so I see nothing wrong with it. Quite frankly, I am glad that the upcoming draft means so little to the Kings at this point since we are young and really have no glaring holes.

How would Columbus end up with the 30th pick if there is a season? The only way that would happen is if either we or they won the cup.

etherialone 11-26-2012 11:38 AM

Depends on the draft.

Shootmaster_44 11-27-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 56040575)
How would Columbus end up with the 30th pick if there is a season? The only way that would happen is if either we or they won the cup.

Yes, it was my subtle way of saying repeat.