HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr; What happens next to them? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1297601)

thestonedkoala 11-24-2012 11:59 PM

Gary Bettman and Donald Fehr; What happens next to them?

I didn't know if we could throw this in the lockout thread but I got to wonder. When the lockout does get wrapped up (And it should), what happens to Bettman and Fehr? Do the players vote Fehr out? Will some owners break rank and start putting pressure to replace Bettman? Out of all the sports, Bettman has been the weakest and probably the worst commish in sports. Yes, even worse than Goddell (who ironically has the same powers as Bettman does and yet gets skewered more because he is more of the face of football), Stern, and Selig. None of them have had the work stoppages or been slow to react to the concussions or lose a major TV network in their tenure.

So what do you think happens next to the two major proponents of this lockout? (not what you want to happen but what do you think happens).

WhereIsIt 11-25-2012 12:02 AM

The only way Fehr doesn't get fired is if he's so good at his job that the lockout goes on forever and the players follow him into their graves. He'll be canned as soon as the lockout is over and the players realize they didn't get what they wanted again.

Bettman will probably be Commissioner until he retires, whenever that is.

RogerRoeper* 11-25-2012 12:06 AM

Bettman will get fired imo. Fehr will be kept but will retire in the near future.

MonsterSurge 11-25-2012 12:28 AM

Maybe Westgarth will jump Bettman at one of the CBA meetings or whatever they are called.

Freudian 11-25-2012 12:40 AM

Before this summer I think Bettman was as safe as they come but I'm not sure anymore. He's read the situation very poorly and it's cost the league a lot of money. He's basically tried to roll over a guy who has one trick, and that's to never allow himself to be rolled over.

Fehr has been equally poor. He's pretty much done nothing to get a deal done. He's basically playing chicken with the players picking up the tab. Some will of course interpret this as him being a negotiation jedi while it's becoming clearer with every day that he's a dinosaur.

A deal will get done that's not all that great for either party. A deal that's not great for either party could have been reached in August if these two guys weren't set on a fight.

Crumblin Erb Brooks 11-25-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad (Post 56013077)
The only way Fehr doesn't get fired is if he's so good at his job that the lockout goes on forever and the players follow him into their graves. He'll be canned as soon as the lockout is over and the players realize they didn't get what they wanted again.

Bettman will probably be Commissioner until he retires, whenever that is.

Seriously? Fehr seems to have a pretty high approval rating among players (Hamrlik notwithstanding). They arent (that) stupid, they know owners were going for the neck from that first proposal and they were fighting a losing battle (and perhaps rightfully so). They also knew what they were getting with Fehr when they hired him, and that is why they hired him.

He could very well retire though, 64, been through several big, very public negotiations.

Bettman seems to be well liked by his employers as well, so I think his job is safe for the foreseeable future. Doubt he goes anywhere, epsecially since the NBA job isnt opening up.

thestonedkoala 11-25-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks (Post 56013649)
Bettman seems to be well liked by his employers as well, so I think his job is safe for the foreseeable future. Doubt he goes anywhere, epsecially since the NBA job isnt opening up.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/85...missioner-2014

Well, in two years it'll be

ZZamboni 11-25-2012 12:59 AM

You can slam Bettman and for good reasons. However does anyone who posts here really truly remember what the NHL was like before Bettman? The pay, the leagues health, the marketing, the coverage, the owners?

Do a little research and educate yourself before you spit out nonsense that Bettman has been soooooo bad for the game of hockey and the NHL.

In a vacuum of cherry picking the negative it's so easy to say he's the antichrist of Commisioners.

Kloparren 11-25-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRoeper (Post 56013141)
Bettman will get fired imo. Fehr will be kept but will retire in the near future.

Accurate imo, Steve Fehr maybe the next in line for the PA.

RogerRoeper* 11-25-2012 01:01 AM

Fehr will move onto the NBA next and ruin that sport.

RogerRoeper* 11-25-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZamboni (Post 56013817)
You can slam Bettman and for good reasons. However does anyone who posts here really truly remember what the NHL was like before Bettman? The pay, the leagues health, the marketing, the coverage, the owners?

Do a little research and educate yourself before you spit out nonsense that Bettman has been soooooo bad for the game of hockey and the NHL.

In a vacuum of cherry picking the negative it's so easy to say he's the antichrist of Commisioners.

I think his expansion was ridiculous. The game was more entertainment before he joined the NHl. It watered-down and more dull than ever.

The game makes more money now because the Canadian dollar exploded. That's it. Their tv deal is worse than when he joined them.

DuklaNation 11-25-2012 01:03 AM

Bettman will remain and Fehr will be ousted if the season is cancelled. Not saying these are the right decisions. Just what I think will happen.

um 11-25-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRoeper (Post 56013867)
I think his expansion was ridiculous. The game was more entertainment before he joined the NHl. It watered-down and more dull than ever.

The game makes more money now because the Canadian dollar exploded. That's it. Their tv deal is worse than when he joined them.

we must be watching different games

RogerRoeper* 11-25-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by um (Post 56013919)
we must be watching different games

Watch the 80's/early 90's and get back to me.

ZZamboni 11-25-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRoeper (Post 56013867)

Pure opinion, not fact. The rule changes change the game, not a Commisioners wacky ideas. Last I checked Bettman doesn't create or vote on rule changes.

Quote:

Absolutely wrong. But you can stay with that agenda.

Machinehead 11-25-2012 01:11 AM

They will both keep their jobs and continue tearing my still beating heart from my body, eating it in front of me, and then laughing in my face.

Crumblin Erb Brooks 11-25-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo (Post 56013735)

From ze article
Quote:

He made it clear he will remain in charge of league operations for the next 15 months, mentioning that arrangement several times, and making sure his hand-picked successor will be installed. The owners said they will begin negotiating with deputy commissioner Adam Silver to take over for Stern -- a decision they came to unanimously -- when those 15 months end. The plan is for Silver's appointment to be ratified at next April's board of governors meeting.

impeach estaalo 11-25-2012 01:14 AM

Bettman may retire or get fired at some point, but he'll always have a place in my heart

KaylaJ 11-25-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo (Post 56013735)

Adam Silver will be the next NBA comish, he's already been elected by the BoG to replace the retiring Stern.

Anyway, I thought Fehr had only come out of retirement to do this CBA then go away again with Steve taking his place.

WhereIsIt 11-25-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks (Post 56013649)
Seriously? Fehr seems to have a pretty high approval rating among players (Hammerlick notwithstanding). They arent (that) stupid, they know owners were going for the neck from that first proposal and they were fighting a losing battle (and perhaps rightfully so). They also knew what they were getting with Fehr when they hired him, and that is why they hired him.

He could very well retire though, 64, been through several big, very public negotiations.

He won't have a high approval rating when they lose.

Crumblin Erb Brooks 11-25-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad (Post 56014143)
He won't have a high approval rating when they lose.

When they lose? They were going to "lose" from the start, everyone could see that.

KEEROLE Vatanen 11-25-2012 01:31 AM

Nothing
but both should be banned from hockey for the damage they've done

WhereIsIt 11-25-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks (Post 56014251)
When they lose? They were going to "lose" from the start, everyone could see that.

Yes of course, everybody but the players, they are quite serious, otherwise they wouldn't have hired Don Fehr in the first place. They will be quite shocked and angry when they get their ***** kicked again, no doubt.

Why would they hire Fehr if they knew they would lose, that makes no sense. If they knew how screwed they were they'd be playing right now. No, they are quite serious even if they are a joke to most people who are following the situation closely.

HockeyFan100 11-25-2012 01:40 AM

Can't believe Bettman is 60 years old. And Fehr is 64. Those two are pretty close to retiring if you ask me.

thestonedkoala 11-25-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks (Post 56014053)
From ze article

Not ratified yet! There is still hope :p