HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Baseball (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Signing(s): Evan Longoria signs extension with Tampa through 2023 season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1297943)

Marc the Habs Fan 11-26-2012 08:41 AM

Evan Longoria signs extension with Tampa through 2023 season
 
Tampa Bay Rays ‏@RaysBaseball
Happy Monday--The Rays and Evan Longoria have agreed on a contract extension that could keep him in a Rays uniform through the 2023 season.

Tampa Bay Rays ‏@RaysBaseball
Longoria’s new contract incorporates the salaries for 2013-16 and extends 6 more years through 2022 for an additional $100 million.

Tampa Bay Rays ‏@RaysBaseball
Plus, the Rays have a club option on Longoria for 2023.

Good for the Rays.

kanuck87 11-26-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 56040065)
Tampa Bay Rays ‏@RaysBaseball
Happy Monday--The Rays and Evan Longoria have agreed on a contract extension that could keep him in a Rays uniform through the 2023 season.

Tampa Bay Rays ‏@RaysBaseball
Longoria’s new contract incorporates the salaries for 2013-16 and extends 6 more years through 2022 for an additional $100 million.

Tampa Bay Rays ‏@RaysBaseball
Plus, the Rays have a club option on Longoria for 2023.

Good for the Rays.

I'm not sure this was neccessary for the Ray to do this right now. They could have waited out a couple more seasons and extend him then for probably that same amount. They're taking on a lot of risks here. They already had him signed until he turned 31, now they're going to pay him a boatload of money for his age 32-37 seasons.

mapes 11-26-2012 10:27 AM

Great value if he keeps it up but also very risky doing it now

Martini* 11-26-2012 11:28 AM

Great signing.

Vamos Rafa 11-26-2012 11:56 AM

Well, at least this is a sign of the Rays willing to keep a homegrown player in their uniform for the rest of his career.

seafoam 11-26-2012 12:20 PM

Great signing for the Rays, it's a little risky but well worth it considering they have had a hard time keeping their star players. Hopefully this will help bring in other free agents.

mapes 11-26-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seafoam (Post 56044383)
Great signing for the Rays, it's a little risky but well worth it considering they have had a hard time keeping their star players. Hopefully this will help bring in other free agents.

I think it will. Longoria could be a great selling point.

Clowe Me 11-26-2012 04:18 PM

Not a fan of having a guy under contract for 11 years, especially when the last 6 years will likely be on the down swing.

GKJ 11-26-2012 04:21 PM

They gave him the money so that someone actually shows they want to stay in Tampa

PanthersPens62 11-26-2012 05:20 PM

Great news for Rays fans.

Kershaw 11-26-2012 05:29 PM

this will look A-rod bad down the road.

Unholy Diver 11-26-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tortorella (Post 56052235)
this will look A-rod bad down the road.


6yrs for 100 mil? That might be league avg salary by then

darko 11-26-2012 06:21 PM

Longoria's contract went from a biggest bargain in baseball to somewhat risky. Longoria will be 32 when the new deal kicks in and he'll 38 when it's done. Good for Rays for doing it. Hopefully Longoria is a Ray for life.

I Am Beat You 11-26-2012 06:31 PM

Health is my only concern with him, skill-wise this is obviously a fine deal. Nice to see that type of commitment from both sides.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 11-27-2012 03:28 AM

i don't see the point in doing this now he still had 4 seasons to go

AdmiralsFan24 11-27-2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tortorella (Post 56052235)
this will look A-rod bad down the road.

LOL. From A-Rod's 32-38 seasons he will have made $179 million (and another $86 million in his 39-42 seasons). This isn't even close to being as bad as A-Rod's deal. Like not even in the same galaxy.

Leaf Rocket 11-27-2012 07:19 AM

Awesome for any Ray fans.

mapes 11-27-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 (Post 56062593)
LOL. From A-Rod's 32-38 seasons he will have made $179 million (and another $86 million in his 39-42 seasons). This isn't even close to being as bad as A-Rod's deal. Like not even in the same galaxy.

That is absolutely insane. 86 mill for his 39-42 seasons? :laugh:

Bruv 11-27-2012 10:20 AM

Risky.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.