HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Speculation: Defensive curiosity. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1298697)

RealisticLeaf55 11-27-2012 08:55 PM

Defensive curiosity.

I was wondering if the wings were targeting any specific defensemen before the lockout occured. When Lidstrom left it created a hard to replace hole in the back-end so I am wondering who the wings were aiming for to fill that hole?

My only guesses were as following:

Ryan Suter (who wouldn't go for him?)

Jay Bouwmeester (probably wrong on that one)

Justin Schultz (Everyone was in on that)

Harnessed in Slums 11-27-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 (Post 56079611)
I was wondering if the wings were targeting any specific defensemen before the lockout occured. When Lidstrom left it created a hard to replace hole in the back-end so I am wondering who the wings were aiming for to fill that hole?

My only guesses were as following:

Ryan Suter (who wouldn't go for him?)

Jay Bouwmeester (probably wrong on that one)

Justin Schultz (Everyone was in on that)

Yeah, that pretty much covers the plan. I think Bouwmeester was less of target given what it would cost to sign/trade for him. Both Suter and Schultz could be acquired for nothing other than cap space. However we ended up getting Carlo Colaiacovo so I'm pretty sure we are all set on defense! :sarcasm:

TNigs 11-27-2012 09:03 PM

I think Suter was number 1 on the list, and they also offered Schultz a contract. But the offers I was hearing for Bouwmeester were Filppula, Nyquist, and a pick, which I think would have been too much, but Nyquist is not going anywhere.
I remember Rosival and Yandl as well.

WingedWheel1987 11-27-2012 09:03 PM

Suter was plan A and everybody on the boards thought he was a done deal. Rumors of him being in Michigan buying a car, blahs blah blahhhh. Judging by how it went down, Ken Holland probably felt the same way. Once that ended up not happening holland tried to acquire Jay Bo, but Calgary overvalued him. I am happy he didn't end up in Detroit. The guy is awful.

Schultz was offered a deal, but nobody expected him to sign in Detroit.

Any other d-man that would have been looked at was already off the market by the time the Suter debacle ended. (Garrison) Wings played a game of musical chairs and were the only person left standing when the music stopped.

Now the defense consists kronwall, Ericsson, white, Quincey and Smith. So the Wings only have one real top pairing d-man who isnt good enough to be a legit #1 dman that can anchor the defense. Kronwall is closer to #2 than #1 d-man. Great player and its not his fault that be is going to be asked to do more than he is capable of doing on a consistent basis. The rest are at best second pairing players who need someone better to play with or third pairing players on a deep cup contending roster.

Smith is a wildcard and he might make the defense legitimately good if he lives up to his hype sooner rather than later. That is very unlikely though since he is playing his first full NHL season. I have plenty of faith in him, but its asking a lot for even a #1 draft pick d-man who has way more talent. Playing good defense is something that can only be taught by experience. Even the mighty lidstrom wasn't a god on day one. If Holland had let Smith play his rookie season last year,the team defense would be potentialy in a lot better shape going into this season.

Ken Holland calls it defense by committee which is basically a way to avoid calling it mediocre defense.

You can probably tell I am not very happy with the current state of the wings D.

The Zetterberg Era 11-28-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 (Post 56079805)
You can probably tell I am not very happy with the current state of the wings D.

:laugh: We know it is more than just the D that has you not happy.

But yes Suter was the primary target, unlike a lot of people I think they were more interested in Yandle than JayBo, even though Yandle wasn't a great fit considering what they already had. JayBo price is just too high for what he is and the uncertainty of where the cap will eventually be and Howard and Filppula up. There just weren't a lot of options, Holland might actually luck out if the season goes by the wayside and he can fix the backend a little better. The Wings are going to have to make some deals it will be pretty interesting to watch, the roster pretty much tells us that. I think he was hoping some things might change after the new CBA, it is a dangerous game but it might pay off, either way panic moves aren't Ken Holland so I am waiting to see what he does without the name calling and sky is falling attitude of some of the Wings fans.

LeighDx13 11-28-2012 04:05 AM

Wasn't Holland planning on trying to sign Sami Salo originally if he couldn't get Suter? I kinda wish we would have gotten him.

Ricelund 11-28-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeighDx13 (Post 56086157)
Wasn't Holland planning on trying to sign Sami Salo originally if he couldn't get Suter? I kinda wish we would have gotten him.

They were actually trying to sign both Suter and Salo.

Man, this offseason sucked.

joe89 11-28-2012 08:45 AM

Suter for Lidstrom's role. Salo for Stuart's role. I believe that was Plan A.

Plan B was probably to sign one of Carle, Wideman or Garrison but only for the right price. Trading for Yandle or Bouwmeester also options.

Colaiacovo was a plan D or so, but not out of the blue. I remember hearing his name thrown around before free agency started. Roszival and Clark were also names in the mix, not sure if Detroit actually had any interest in them though.

Harnessed in Slums 11-28-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 56085003)
:laugh: We know it is more than just the D that has you not happy.

But yes Suter was the primary target, unlike a lot of people I think they were more interested in Yandle than JayBo, even though Yandle wasn't a great fit considering what they already had. JayBo price is just too high for what he is and the uncertainty of where the cap will eventually be and Howard and Filppula up. There just weren't a lot of options, Holland might actually luck out if the season goes by the wayside and he can fix the backend a little better. The Wings are going to have to make some deals it will be pretty interesting to watch, the roster pretty much tells us that. I think he was hoping some things might change after the new CBA, it is a dangerous game but it might pay off, either way panic moves aren't Ken Holland so I am waiting to see what he does without the name calling and sky is falling attitude of some of the Wings fans.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they'd make a strong effort to sign Alex Edler.