HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   National stereotypes? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1298763)

TAnnala 11-27-2012 10:37 PM

National stereotypes?

Do you guys still have national stereotypes about players?

Hard nosed Canadian and skilled but soft Swedes. 4th/3rd line hard working Finnish players and talented but lazy Russians?

I mean, i do. I easily think of Canadian NT as the most physical and hard to play against. Russian's are very slick and talented in my mind and Finns play with heart and hard work.

InfinityIggy 11-27-2012 10:40 PM

Swiss goalies are made of cheese.

King Forsberg 11-27-2012 10:41 PM

Russians- Only care about money. Very skilled, no effort, play dirty, bad team mates

Dactyl 11-27-2012 10:44 PM

"lazy ass russians"

Legionnaire 11-27-2012 10:47 PM

In Soviet Russia, they make hockey outta you!

TAnnala 11-27-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InfinityIggy (Post 56082421)
Swiss goalies are made of cheese.

Really?

Maybe that is why Bryzgalov is so insane, he has Vodka running trough his veins?

NjDevsRR 11-27-2012 10:52 PM

These threads never end well :badidea:

ToneBone03 11-27-2012 10:55 PM

Hard-nosed Canadians.
Hard-nosed Americans.
All the skill in the world but no heart Russians.

Those are pretty much the only stereotypes I've heard.

AJMHABS 11-27-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingForsberg (Post 56082441)
Russians- Only care about money. Very skilled, no effort, play dirty, bad team mates

Quote:

Originally Posted by blooblood (Post 56082535)
"lazy ass russians"

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToneBone03 (Post 56082777)
Hard-nosed Canadians.
Hard-nosed Americans.
All the skill in the world but no heart Russians.

Those are pretty much the only stereotypes I've heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAnnala (Post 56082339)

Hard nosed Canadian and skilled but soft Swedes. 4th/3rd line hard working Finnish players and talented but lazy Russians?

I mean, i do. I easily think of Canadian NT as the most physical and hard to play against. Russian's are very slick and talented in my mind and Finns play with heart and hard work.

These are all the main stereotypes out there that aren't actually there. There may be a couple players of the nationality that fall under the stereotypes, but very few do, and most players are unique. I did a report about this for my Sociology class last semester.

DKQ 11-27-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAnnala (Post 56082339)

The skilled but soft Swedes stereotype is changing. Swedes that are reaching the NHL now grew up idolizing Peter Forsberg, and have implemented his style into their game (for the most part; there are still your Tedenbys and Collbergs of the world). It seems like almost every Swedish player drafted now plays a sound two-way game and isn't afraid of contact; look at Landeskog, Forsberg, Josefson, Paajarvi, Johansson, Backlund, Jarnkrok, Aberg, etc.

Renbarg 11-27-2012 11:42 PM

I agree about the Swede thing. When I think of a Swedish player I think of a good two-way player. I think this has to do with the way their league is set up. Not a Swede, but I remember Frans Nielsen talking about his time in the SEL. He was extremely gifted offensively, but weak on the d-end. Malmo won't give a 17 year old kid top 6 minutes, so if he wanted to play he had to play on the third or fourth line and if you want to play on the third or fourth line you have to be solid in the dzone, as you will probably not be scoring a whole lot.

ToneBone03 11-27-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJMHABS (Post 56083569)
These are all the main stereotypes out there that aren't actually there. There may be a couple players of the nationality that fall under the stereotypes, but very few do, and most players are unique. I did a report about this for my Sociology class last semester.

Totally agree, 100%.

Mr Forever 11-27-2012 11:48 PM

Americans can't win.

AZcoyotes 11-27-2012 11:51 PM

Canadians- hockey gods
Everyone else- lazy, dirty, pansies.

- Don Cherry

RDRR 11-27-2012 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renbarg (Post 56083923)
I agree about the Swede thing. When I think of a Swedish player I think of a good two-way player. I think this has to do with the way their league is set up. Not a Swede, but I remember Frans Nielsen talking about his time in the SEL. He was extremely gifted offensively, but weak on the d-end. Malmo won't give a 17 year old kid top 6 minutes, so if he wanted to play he had to play on the third or fourth line and if you want to play on the third or fourth line you have to be solid in the dzone, as you will probably not be scoring a whole lot.

Even the Sedins, who many consider 1-way players, used to play on the PK and have good defensive insticts (particularly Henrik). I can't really think of any big name Swedish hockey players who are worse defensively than them either. Sweden is amazing when it comes to 2-way play.

Your theory of them having to play in a defense first role as teenagers is also very intriguing. Players have the ability to completely change their on ice identity at that age.

Russians are very skilled and have awesome puckhandling or sniping ability.

Renbarg 11-28-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDRR (Post 56084151)
Even the Sedins, who many consider 1-way players, used to play on the PK and have good defensive insticts (particularly Henrik). I can't really think of any big name Swedish hockey players who are worse defensively than them either. Sweden is amazing when it comes to 2-way play.

Your theory of them having to play in a defense first role as teenagers is also very intriguing. Players have the ability to completely change their on ice identity at that age.

Russians are very skilled and have awesome puckhandling or sniping ability.

Here is the article I was referencing:

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...ay-nhl-player/

Quote:

Still, for Nielsen to be in such heady company with Alfredsson – and be so far ahead of the rest of his team – says a lot about the well-rounded player he has become.

He credits the Swedish Elite League for his education on defense.

“They play a lot of trap hockey in the Swedish League, but either way I think it’s the best defensive league in the world,” said Nielsen, who first played in the SEL as a 17-year-old. “When I first got there, I didn’t know much about defense. In Denmark, I had the puck a lot. But Malmo put me on the fourth line and told me, ‘Just focus on not letting the other team score.’

“The Swedes completely taught me how to be a responsible two-way forward. That’s where I also learned how to win faceoffs. By the last season in Sweden, I was top-five in the league. When I first got there, I couldn’t beat anybody on a draw.
He even describes the league as the defensive league in the world[/quote]

topchowda 11-28-2012 12:50 AM

sweden, hot girls, amazing defenseman and two way forwards

nitz 11-28-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes (Post 56084131)
Canadians- hockey gods

- Don Cherry

Well, when you put it THAT way - what else even needs to be said?

LeafOfBread 11-28-2012 02:10 AM

Swedes, classy, hard-working, quiet, well-rounded players.

untouchable21 11-28-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Canadians- hockey gods

- Don Cherry

Don Cherry was a BIG FAN of Keith Tkachuk who isn't Canadian, but maybe that's a Boston stereotype that Cherry had.

FinRuutu 11-28-2012 02:49 AM

Not easy to say how everyone else sees Finns but I would like them to see hard working good teammates with good leaders and no quitting attitude.

capitalsrock 11-28-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Forever (Post 56084051)
Americans can't win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEuUXLFbV9A

The Zetterberg Era 11-28-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Canadians- hockey gods

- Don Cherry

Don't forget he is pretty hard on a certain part of Canada as well, he is pretty mean to the French population at times.

JuniorNelson 11-28-2012 03:06 AM

What about women's hockey?

Canadians; Tough, skilled, well trained, often nasty. Will make you cry.
Americans; Fast, blonde and competitive, expect to win. Will become snippy.
Everybody else; Small, slow and timid. All afraid of Wickenhieser.

Blank 11-28-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinRuutu (Post 56085911)
Not easy to say how everyone else sees Finns but I would like them to see hard working good teammates with good leaders and no quitting attitude.

Or

Midgets with balls of steel but hands of stone.