HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Maple Leafs 1st NHL team worth $1 billion US (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1298959)

TOG26 11-28-2012 12:33 PM

Maple Leafs 1st NHL team worth $1 billion US

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...rth-1-billion/

Interesting the gap between Toronto and Montreal/New York.

Also quite funny this is released during the lockout...

Edit: Sportsnet has a easier to read list of value and last year revenue. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...illion_forbes/

Michael Gary Scott 11-28-2012 12:39 PM

by far worth the most, but still a bottom 5 team...

noway 11-28-2012 12:44 PM

Sounds like a good time to start a new league.

Grant 11-28-2012 12:44 PM

Leafs have almost identical revenue compared to NYR but make almost 8m more a year yet I thought it was said Toronto has the highest paid front office?

It's because teams do 'sneaky' things to make their income look like less than it actually is.

Of the 13 teams that are 'losing' money, 4 of them 'lost' less than 4m. I'd wager that all of those teams actually earned a profit. The remaining 9 teams may have actually lost a little money since they are closer to losing in the 10m range. I can guarantee that they didn't lose as much as they claim to however.

Jerkini 11-28-2012 12:59 PM

richest team in the nhl, complete refusal to open the coffers to attract the best talent in the world. :shakehead

JAMmer124 11-28-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerkini (Post 56093027)
richest team in the nhl, complete refusal to open the coffers to attract the best talent in the world. :shakehead

We spend to the cap or close to it yearly....

Dunni 11-28-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funk Volume (Post 56093067)
We spend to the cap or close to it yearly....

And allegedly have the highest paid front office staff.

Hurt 11-28-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerkini (Post 56093027)

Spend to cap every year so your statement just isn't true. Maybe you meant refuse to handicap the team to 10+ year contracts?

Dark Knight 11-28-2012 01:03 PM

We do spend money on resources so spending money is not my concern. It is hiring the right personnel that is a concern to me.

Our scouting staff over the past 20 years is the probably the worst in all pro sports.

That is absolutely pathetic when you're considered the most valuable franchise.

AINEC 11-28-2012 01:08 PM

Only a billion? Raise those ticket prices!

Grant 11-28-2012 01:10 PM

Some things teams have done or currently do to make income look lower than it is (for tax purposes):

1. Players are considered as 'assets' for teams. In accounting you are supposed to depreciate assets that will generate revenue for more than 1 year to better match their cost with the revenue they generate. What this does is not only do the teams pay the players and list the players salary as 'salary expense', but you also take their salary and make it a depreciation expense. Basically double counting some of the players salary and reducing it from your income to make your income look less than it is.

2. Team Owners have paid themselves a salary.
eg. Say a team gets 100m in revenue and an income of 0, now the owner pays them self a 10m salary. This now reduces the income of the team to -10m, increases the income of the owner from 0 to 10m on their personal income tax (PIT). You can make your team a certain type of corporation that makes it become a 'pass through firm' letting any income from the team go towards your PIT. The team's income is -10m, the owners income is 10m. The teams income gets passed through to the owner and now it appears as if the owner has no income and therefore doesn't pay and PIT.

3. Reserve senior positions in the company to family (fairly similar to #2)

4. Borrow money from the team at a 0% interest rate.
Now the owner can invest the borrowed money and make it look like a loss and again similar to #2 reduce their taxes.

5. Revenue Shifting
eg. Rogers owns the Jays. Rogers broadcasts the Jays game. Rogers doesn't pay the Jays the market value for the rights to broadcast the games. Jays get less revenue because of this, shifting the revenue instead to Rogers. Jays earning less money allows them to get some more money from the league profit sharing (or pay less into the league profit sharing, I'm not sure on how it works in the MLB).

Tricks like these are (or once were) legal. All accounting practices are followed and no rules are broken. These are some examples of how teams make it look like they are losing money when they really aren't.

Eyedea 11-28-2012 01:16 PM

Anybody know what the Leafs' value was in 2011? Only thing I can find is '09 and it shows them at 470m. Seems incredible how they managed to double their value in just a few short years (though I guess the selling has more to do with that).

tape to tape 11-28-2012 01:42 PM

Interesting that the original 6 are the top 6 this year.

1. Toronto $1B
2. NYR $750M
3. Montreal $575M
4. Chicago $350M
5. Boston $348M
6. Detroit $346M
7. Vancouver $342M
8. Philadelphia $336M
9. Pittsburgh $288M
10. Los Angelas $276M

Stats01 11-28-2012 01:57 PM

A billion dollars eh. Wow! Leafs= Dallas Cowboys of the NHL

Ari91 11-28-2012 02:05 PM

Even by those estimations, Toronto, NYR and Montreal blow the others out of the water.

Raym11 11-28-2012 02:12 PM

estimates are pretty insane i dont think it's that high, but i think the % in difference between values would remain the same between toronto and the rest even at lower value

I feel like MTL is worth closer to what the Leafs are worth though

stakesishigh 11-28-2012 02:13 PM

Katie Strang Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
#CBA #NYR Rangers are second most profitable team ($74 million). Coupled with TOR and MTL, those three teams account for 83% of NHL's income

Puts it into perspective for you.

Furthermore,
#CBA According to article, top 5 teams (TOR, NYR, MTL, CHI and BOS) worth avg $605M while bottom 5 (CAR, NYI, CBJ, PHX, STL) avg at $145M

Jerkini 11-28-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurt (Post 56093095)
Spend to cap every year so your statement just isn't true. Maybe you meant refuse to handicap the team to 10+ year contracts?

I didn't know you could predict the future. How's that working out for you?

Leafs are running the on-ice product like it's a small market team and fans are eating it up. How about the team in 10 years? How about we live in the moment instead. Especially when this team is rich enough to make mistakes disappear.

DirtyDion03 11-28-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raym11 (Post 56094989)
estimates are pretty insane i dont think it's that high, but i think the % in difference between values would remain the same between toronto and the rest even at lower value

I feel like MTL is worth closer to what the Leafs are worth though

How? Does MTL have anything close to the Leafs practice facility? Do they even have their own TV channel? Not only that but I'm pretty sure Leafs ticket prices are way more then Montreal's..

Hurt 11-28-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerkini (Post 56095099)
I didn't know you could predict the future. How's that working out for you?

Leafs are running the on-ice product like it's a small market team and fans are eating it up. How about the team in 10 years? How about we live in the moment instead. Especially when this team is rich enough to make mistakes disappear.

Except when the last CBA was only 7 years in length and the 'mistakes' may be stuck around your neck when a new one is signed, what then? It's not about predicting the future as much as being informed about how the league works.

Pinto 11-28-2012 02:38 PM

We're #1, we're #1!

satyr9 11-28-2012 02:42 PM

Yeah, time to move the goal posts and claim victory. We can finally use that well-planned parade route we're always talking about. :D

Eb 11-28-2012 02:47 PM

Love how the Top 6 consists of the Original 6

Kyle Doobas* 11-28-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerkini (Post 56095099)
Leafs are running the on-ice product like it's a small market team and fans are eating it up. How about the team in 10 years? How about we live in the moment instead.

You mean like when we traded Rask for Raycroft, or a 1st for Toskala? I'm sure a 31 year-old Brad Richards would've saved us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eb (Post 56095991)
Love how the Top 6 consists of the Original 6

And people say the whole 'Original Six' thing is overplayed. I wonder why. :sarcasm:

Mystifo 11-28-2012 02:59 PM

Interesting fact: If one person was to win the jackpot on Power Ball they would have enough money to purchase both the St.Louis Blues AND The Phoenix Coyotes. Just imagine if you could buy both and morph them into a super team?