HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Polls - (hockey-related only) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Team Canada 2014: Goalie #2 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299181)

kmad 11-28-2012 08:51 PM

Team Canada 2014: Goalie #2
 
Let's elect a Team Canada 2014 roster.

14 forwards, 7 defensemen, 3 goalies.

Pick #2 goalie.

1. Carey Price

Vankiller Whale 11-28-2012 09:05 PM

Luongo, should have been first.

HockeyFan100 11-28-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 56104591)
Luongo, should have been first.

This

y2kcanucks 11-28-2012 09:46 PM

I vote for Carey Price here because Luongo should have been first.

UsernameWasTaken 11-28-2012 10:48 PM

Lu-lu-lu-ongo!

LPH 11-28-2012 11:37 PM

price
Luongo
ward

Gigantor The Goalie 11-28-2012 11:41 PM

I'll take the Conn Smythe winner in Ward. Bring Loungo as the third goalie like Belfour in 2002.

Vikingstad 11-28-2012 11:49 PM

Put Mike Smith in net, and just bring Sean Burke along to Sochi.

AirheadPete 11-28-2012 11:51 PM

Ward....i agree with the results, Price #1, Ward#2

96 11-29-2012 12:02 AM

I went with Ward. Fleury and Luongo should also be in the race.

CanucksSayEh 11-29-2012 01:21 AM

Would be so pissed to see Fleury in net.

InjuredChoker 11-29-2012 04:02 AM

Lou.

bp spec 11-29-2012 07:03 AM

Cam Ward

AJMHABS 11-29-2012 07:04 AM

Ward.

Blind Gardien 11-29-2012 09:06 AM

Picked Ward. It's not exactly an inspiring situation for Canadian goaltending when to me, there are really only two choices on the list, Price and Ward... none of the rest are even good candidates IMHO. Some were good choices in the past, or might be in the future, but at this snapshot in time, I don't think there should be any challenge to a Price/Ward tandem.

Luck 6 11-29-2012 09:16 AM

You guys can say Price > Luongo all you want, but it's Luongo's job to lose and most people know that. Luongo won Olympic gold with Canada last time as their starter, he'd have to play himself out of the job or severely drop off before then. Heck, if you compare years head to head there isn't a single year where Price beat Luongo statistically. I know Luongo is hated on HF, but he isn't hated by the people running team Canada.

Luck 6 11-29-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 56112419)
Picked Ward. It's not exactly an inspiring situation for Canadian goaltending when to me, there are really only two choices on the list, Price and Ward... none of the rest are even good candidates IMHO. Some were good choices in the past, or might be in the future, but at this snapshot in time, I don't think there should be any challenge to a Price/Ward tandem.

Luongo didn't have the best playoffs (only a 2.5 game sample size for him where the team played awful) but he coupled with Schneider shared the MVP award for the Canucks last season. I know its hard to tell by just looking at the stat sheet, but last season was one of Luongo's best. And even if you do want to compare stats, he beat out both Price and Ward. Damn, Luongo must be the most hated and underrated player on HF right now or something haha.

tony d 11-29-2012 09:26 AM

Luongo.

habs03 11-29-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck 6 (Post 56112591)
You guys can say Price > Luongo all you want, but it's Luongo's job to lose and most people know that. Luongo won Olympic gold with Canada last time as their starter, he'd have to play himself out of the job or severely drop off before then. Heck, if you compare years head to head there isn't a single year where Price beat Luongo statistically. I know Luongo is hated on HF, but he isn't hated by the people running team Canada.

I believe that Luongo will start the 1st game of the preliminary round, just because Hockey Canada usually works that way, with Price starting the 2nd game and from then on forward.

y2kcanucks 11-29-2012 10:23 AM

I really don't understand how people picked Price over Luongo, let alone Ward.

In Luongo's last international action he won gold at the Olympics. In Ward's last international action he got ventilated and looked really bad in net behind the most talented Canadian team at the WHC we have had in a long time. Prior to that he looked really bad getting blown out in a gold medal game against Russia.

You can point to Luongo having a bad year all you want, but Luongo's bad year this year was still statistically much better than Cam Ward. Where is the logic?

poetryinmotion 11-29-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck 6 (Post 56112649)
Luongo didn't have the best playoffs (only a 2.5 game sample size for him where the team played awful) but he coupled with Schneider shared the MVP award for the Canucks last season. I know its hard to tell by just looking at the stat sheet, but last season was one of Luongo's best. And even if you do want to compare stats, he beat out both Price and Ward. Damn, Luongo must be the most hated and underrated player on HF right now or something haha.

By a whooping .03 % when Price's team was in the basement with an ECHL defense with Ward probably in the same situation in Carolina when Luongo's team won the president's trophy.

Here's some more fun stats: Vancouver had a +65 goal differential advantage over Montreal yet only allowed 28 fewer goals.

When you look at Schneider's stats this year with Vancouver, they are an indication of what a real goaltender can do in that system and behind that team. Price or Ward would have had similar sv% as him if they switched roles with Luongo, imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 56113829)
I really don't understand how people picked Price over Luongo, let alone Ward.

It's not rocket science, bud.

Vankiller Whale 11-29-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poetryinmotion (Post 56113903)
By a whooping .03 % when Price's team was in the basement with an ECHL defense with Ward probably in the same situation in Carolina when Luongo's team won the president's trophy.

I can guarantee we would not have won the President's trophy with a lesser goalie than Luongo in net.

I hate this rationale that any goalie on a bad team is better than any goalie on a good team. Part of the reason why good teams are good teams is because of their goaltending.

y2kcanucks 11-29-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poetryinmotion (Post 56113903)

It's not rocket science, bud.

It appears to be. I don't understand why a goalie on a bad team is automatically good, but a goalie on a great team is automatically bad.

Are you saying if the Canucks offense put up fewer goals, Luongo's stats stayed exactly the same, but the Canucks missed the playoffs and were a lottery team that he would all of a sudden become a better goalie in people's eyes? That overly simplistic argument holds no value actually and defies logic.

poetryinmotion 11-29-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 56114033)
I can guarantee we would not have won the President's trophy with a lesser goalie than Luongo in net.

I hate this rationale that any goalie on a bad team is better than any goalie on a good team. Part of the reason why good teams are good teams is because of their goaltending.

You have to put stats into context, he barely edged out goaltenders on basement teams, I wouldn't say that's a very noteworthy accomplishment in your argument that he should be the no. 1 goalie. That is all I'm trying to say. How can you explain the huge discrepancy in Luongo's stats compared to Schneider though? Since we are comparing apples to apples here.

Blueline Bomber 11-29-2012 10:43 AM

Context doesn't exist in y2k's mind. It doesn't matter if one goalie faces 1000 more shots than the other, if the 2nd goalie has better stats, he's better.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.