HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   News Article: Canucks Most Valuable Post-expansion Franchise (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299187)

thenextone 11-28-2012 08:58 PM

Canucks Most Valuable Post-expansion Franchise

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410452
The Chicago Blackhawks ($350 million), Boston Bruins ($348 million) and Detroit Red Wings ($346 million) round up the top six, meaning the league's six original franchises are also its most valuable.

The Vancouver Canucks are the next Canadian team on the list, in seventh at $342 million. The Calgary Flames are in 12th at $245 million, the Edmonton Oilers are ranked 14th at $225 million, the Ottawa Senators 16th at $220 million and the Winnipeg Jets 20th at $200 million.

Interesting...the team has certainly turned around from a "quarter and phone call away" from being moved.

Hammer79 11-28-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenextone (Post 56104429)
Interesting...the team has certainly turned around from a "quarter and phone call away" from being moved.

In retrospect, we know Burke was full of it. We just have to witness the gong show in Glendale to know that.

VeteranNetPresence 11-28-2012 10:17 PM

will be interesting to see what effect the sedin's retirement will have. don't see the fans supporting an inferior product like toronto's fans have

Reverend Mayhem 11-28-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer79 (Post 56104967)
In retrospect, we know Burke was full of it. We just have to witness the gong show in Glendale to know that.

Yup, just his ego in full control.

RandV 11-28-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence (Post 56106367)
will be interesting to see what effect the sedin's retirement will have. don't see the fans supporting an inferior product like toronto's fans have

It remains to be seen but I'd think a decade+ of good fortune combined with population growth in the city will have created enough of a core fanbase that the team could survive an extended down phase without seeing a drop in an attendance... unless maybe ticket prices are kept artificially high at the same time.

LiquidSnake 11-28-2012 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandV (Post 56107633)
It remains to be seen but I'd think a decade+ of good fortune combined with population growth in the city will have created enough of a core fanbase that the team could survive an extended down phase without seeing a drop in an attendance... unless maybe ticket prices are kept artificially high at the same time.

Theres a solid wait list but I wouldnt agree that we'd continue to see sellouts. Fans around here arent really down with crap teams year after year. This isnt Edmonton.

StringerBell 11-28-2012 11:45 PM

As long as the team remains competitive, which ~90% of the league is each year, I don't see why fans wouldn't continue to support them.

Samzilla 11-29-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

maybe we can coax messier out of retirement? :sarcasm:

...I shouldn't even joke about that, I'm sorry.

Reverend Mayhem 11-29-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samzilla (Post 56109265)

For shame, Samzilla. For shame.

Royal Canuck 11-29-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samzilla (Post 56109265)

Not cool man.

kevinsane 11-29-2012 01:28 AM

Too early in the morning for projectile vomiting. I hate that man.

lush 11-29-2012 01:34 AM

10 million away from jumping up the list quite a ways as well. With that being said I don't think they will maintain this rank in overall value long term. Competitiveness is an enormous factor but I think economics in this marketplace play a bigger one.

Reverend Mayhem 11-29-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinsane (Post 56109707)
Too early in the morning for projectile vomiting. I hate that man.

You mountain time or something? Still late in the night on the Wet Coast.

Bourne Endeavor 11-29-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

If we are careful, perhaps we follow the Detroit model and still remain competitive, unlike the Province next door.

Barney Gumble 11-29-2012 10:31 AM

Isn't the whole league in danger of folding? Hence the need for Bettman & Co. to shut-down for the season? Just ignore the fact pretty much every team has seen it's value go up in a pretty bad economy in the past few years doesn't mean anything.:sarcasm:

Proto 11-29-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Gumble (Post 56114009)
Isn't the whole league in danger of folding? Hence the need for Bettman & Co. to shut-down for the season? Just ignore the fact pretty much every team has seen it's value go up in a pretty bad economy in the past few years doesn't mean anything.:sarcasm:

Not a "pretty bad economy" -- the worst recession in America in over 8 decades. Which I think serves to further strengthen your argument about just how meaningless these franchise values are :sarcasm:

billvanseattle 11-29-2012 11:27 AM

Well I was planning on buying the team, but the damn powerball numbers came up wrong.

LickTheEnvelope 11-29-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

It would probably take another 20 year period like the club's first 20 for the amount of support to fall off again.

Scurr 11-29-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope (Post 56119263)
It would probably take another 20 year period like the club's first 20 for the amount of support to fall off again.

Yeah, this market doesn't need a contender, just a competitive team. I find it hard to believe that this team is going to end up being terrible again anytime soon with how well it's being run.

ginner classic 11-29-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope (Post 56119263)

It fell off pretty quickly after '94. The Keenan years saw plenty of available tickets. Burke did turn the franchise around. He should have got the payout Messier did.

Barney Gumble 11-29-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ginner classic (Post 56120215)
It fell off pretty quickly after '94. The Keenan years saw plenty of available tickets. Burke did turn the franchise around. He should have got the payout Messier did.

Have to look at in the entire context. Sure it wasn't that long after a Cup run before the large dropoff - but we didn't have more than few strong seasons during the entire Quinn regime (still a strong achievement from him given the past 20+ years of crap-dome). It's been more than 10 years since we've had less than a .500 record for more than a year in a row (even factoring in "circus time for inflating points"). A number of Canuck fans have grown up during this period (except of course for old farts like myself). I could be wrong, but I don't think those fans are going away (barring a return to the 70s-80s "dark period").

skywarp75 11-29-2012 04:50 PM

I believe that the Canucks fortunes changed with the rise of Naslund (which of course includes Bert, Ohlund & Jovo), and continued due to the Sedins Luongo Kes/Bur. I think its a shame Naslund doesnt get recognized more for his contributions to the franchise.

Scurr 11-29-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skywarp75 (Post 56123879)
I believe that the Canucks fortunes changed with the rise of Naslund (which of course includes Bert, Ohlund & Jovo), and continued due to the Sedins Luongo Kes/Bur. I think its a shame Naslund doesnt get recognized more for his contributions to the franchise.

Star power + on ice success + running your franchise in a professional manner = Profits

Who knew?

Barney Gumble 11-29-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurr (Post 56124151)
Star power + on ice success + running your franchise in a professional manner = Profits

Who knew?

Harold Ballard & "Dollar Bill" Wirtz would think otherwise.:naughty:

VinnyC 11-29-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Gumble (Post 56124397)
Harold Ballard & "Dollar Bill" Wirtz would think otherwise.:naughty:

Chicago supports a team that hasn't won a title in 100+ yers and Toronto is Toronto.