HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: First round pick (blind) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299231)

Grind 11-28-2012 11:17 PM

First round pick (blind)

What do people feel the value of a first round pick is in the following situations;

1. Off season, middle of the pack team, a year in advance(essentially blind)

2. Likely top 5.

3. Top 10

4. Bottom half

5.bottom five

Answer in types or specific players. No more then two assets per 1 puck and make an effort to keep it 1 for 1.

Vankiller Whale 11-28-2012 11:36 PM

From the Canucks:
1. Dunno
2. Cory Schneider
3. Roberto Luongo
4. Jannik Hansen
5. Eddie Lack

Not that I would necessarily do all of these trades.

Exit Dose 11-28-2012 11:43 PM

It really depends on the strength of the draft.

BarDownBobo 11-28-2012 11:47 PM

Interesting scenario. Here's kinda my opinion for the Oilers, although as stated by VanKiller wouldn't necessarily do all these.

1. Ales Hemsky
2. One of the Big 5(Hall, Eberle, Hopkins, Yakupov, J Schultz)
3. Sam Gagner+pick/prospect, Ryan Whitney, Laddy Smid, Jeff Petry
4. This is an interesting one to me. If we're saying it's a deal at the Trade Deadline, I think guys like Ryan Jones, Ales Hemsky, Nick Schultz could be picked up for a 1st for a team looking to make a run. If we're talking draft day, looking again at Hemsky, or a Prospect and a lower pick. Guy like Paajarvi could probably bring a pick in this range too.
5. Same idea as 4, except for the first three you're probably looking at the player for a couple picks. Straight up at the draft, maybe a guy like Ryan Jones or Nick Schultz.

DuckEatinShark 11-29-2012 12:34 AM

Sharks:

1) Middle of the pack: Martin Havlat
2) Top 5: Logan Couture
3) Top 10: ME Vlasic
4) Bottom half: Jason Demers + a low 2nd
5) Bottom 5: Ryane Clowe

LatvianTwist 11-29-2012 01:43 AM

1. Michael Ryder
2. Loui Eriksson
3. Trevor Daley
4. Stephane Robidas
5. Vernon Fiddler

hlaverty06 11-29-2012 05:54 AM

1. Mark Fayne
2. Zajac
3. Clarkson
4. Josefson
5. Not sure unless something added what to give

CanadienKid25 11-29-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grind (Post 56107817)
What do people feel the value of a first round pick is in the following situations;

2. Likely top 5.

3. Top 10

4. Bottom half

5.bottom five

Answer in types or specific players. No more then two assets per 1 puck and make an effort to keep it 1 for 1.

The wording in the questions is a bit vague. The way I read it, #1 and #2 are before the season has started where as #3,#4,#5 are a sure thing.

Canadiens
1. Lars Eller
2. Plekanec + #2
3. Pleks again
4. 3rd liner
5. Thrower/Collberg

Grind 11-29-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienKid25 (Post 56115363)
The wording in the questions is a bit vague. The way I read it, #1 and #2 are before the season has started where as #3,#4,#5 are a sure thing.

Canadiens
1. Lars Eller
2. Plekanec + #2
3. Pleks again
4. 3rd liner
5. Thrower/Collberg

sorry

#2-5 should be assumed the same probability of correctness. I guess you could assume 100% chance it will be within those ranges.

#1 is really the only one that is blind.

JustinCider 11-29-2012 01:01 PM

1. Dubnyk

2. Schultz

3. Gagner

4. Whitney

5. Smyth

joebrute 11-29-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarDownBobo (Post 56108465)
Interesting scenario. Here's kinda my opinion for the Oilers, although as stated by VanKiller wouldn't necessarily do all these.

1. Ales Hemsky
2. One of the Big 5(Hall, Eberle, Hopkins, Yakupov, J Schultz)
3. Sam Gagner+pick/prospect, Ryan Whitney, Laddy Smid, Jeff Petry
4. This is an interesting one to me. If we're saying it's a deal at the Trade Deadline, I think guys like Ryan Jones, Ales Hemsky, Nick Schultz could be picked up for a 1st for a team looking to make a run. If we're talking draft day, looking again at Hemsky, or a Prospect and a lower pick. Guy like Paajarvi could probably bring a pick in this range too.
5. Same idea as 4, except for the first three you're probably looking at the player for a couple picks. Straight up at the draft, maybe a guy like Ryan Jones or Nick Schultz.

That would be somewhat dumb. Maybe Schultz depending on what you guys think he will be worth down the stretch (I never seen him play..) and his overall trade value. But any of the Big 4 for a Top 5 pick does not make any sens to me.

MattyMo35 11-29-2012 01:14 PM

1. Matt D'Agostini
2. Schwartz and our first
3. Stewart
4. Sobotka
5.McRae/Allen

I apparently don't value first round picks as much as others. I don't understand why you would trade an established great player like Couture, or an Edmonton kid for a top 5 pick. The best you could really hope for is that the trade ends up even.

Hennig 11-29-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

2. Likely top 5.

3. Top 10

4. Bottom half

5.bottom five

one of...
1) Clarke Macarthur / Nik Kulemin
2) Morgan Rielly / Phil Kessel
3) Jake Gardiner / Mikhail Grabovski / JVR
4) Nazem Kadri / Nikolai Kulemin
5) Matt Frattin / Clarke Macarthur

Community 11-29-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hennig (Post 56118287)
one of...
1) Clarke Macarthur / Nik Kulemin
2) Morgan Rielly / Phil Kessel
3) Jake Gardiner / Mikhail Grabovski / JVR
4) Nazem Kadri / Nikolai Kulemin
5) Matt Frattin / Nikolai Kulemin / Clarke Macarthur

Would not do the bolded.... Trading Kessel or Rielly for a likely top 5 pick isn't a good idea, could totally screw us over.

Kadri, Kulemin, and Frattin are more valuable to us than a late first.

Hennig 11-29-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw (Post 56118431)
Would not do the bolded.... Trading Kessel or Rielly for a likely top 5 pick isn't a good idea, could totally screw us over.

Kadri, Kulemin, and Frattin are more valuable to us than a late first.

I wouldn't do most of them either, but IMO their value hovers around those area of picks. Although I'm probably selling Kessel short, he could net more than a top 5. I can't see Frattin nor Kadri getting more than a late first, being that they have proven squat in the NHL. You're right though, they do hold more value to us than they do to other teams. But, I'm pretty sure you can say that about every player/prospect and their teams.

Petro Points 11-29-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

2. Likely top 5.

3. Top 10

4. Bottom half

5.bottom five

1. Byfuglien of offseason
2. Byfuglien playing defense
3. Byfuglien playing forward
4. fat Byfuglien
5. D(boating)UI Byfuglien

BarDownBobo 11-29-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebrute (Post 56117753)
That would be somewhat dumb. Maybe Schultz depending on what you guys think he will be worth down the stretch (I never seen him play..) and his overall trade value. But any of the Big 4 for a Top 5 pick does not make any sens to me.

I agree, it's a question of value though. To get a Top 5 it'll take one of them straight up or say a pick from 8-12 and something else. I wouldn't trade any of em for that, it's hypothetical.

BostonBob 11-29-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw (Post 56118431)
Trading Kessel or Rielly for a likely top 5 pick isn't a good idea, could totally screw us over.

Well trading a likely top 5 pick ( plus more ) for Kessel sure didn't work out too well for you guys. ;)

TheJuxtaposer 11-29-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark (Post 56109105)
Sharks:

1) Middle of the pack: Martin Havlat
2) Top 5: Logan Couture
3) Top 10: ME Vlasic
4) Bottom half: Jason Demers + a low 2nd

You seriously over-value picks. I wouldn't trade Demers+2nd for a 15th-25th overall pick, unless there was a guy who fell really far like Teravainen. And really? Clowe for a 25th-30th overall? He'd get more than that as a rental. No way in hell.

Yeah, I'd trade Couture for a top-5 pick in this draft. Wouldn't have last draft. It all depends.

Leafs For Life* 11-29-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 56108281)
5. Eddie Lack

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark (Post 56109105)

Damn.. Deal!