HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   team with the best D prospect. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1299261)

LEAFANFORLIFE23 11-29-2012 03:50 AM

team with the best D prospect.

What team do you think has the best group of prospects on D?

Haatley 11-29-2012 04:09 AM

Pittsburgh easily.
morrow, despres, poulliot, maatta, dumoulin and harrington all in their system. is ridiculous. .ot even including bortuzzo its better than any other clubs d prospects. i dont even think anyones close except maybe columbus.

CSimpson18 11-29-2012 04:19 AM

Pittsburgh. For high end guys you have to like gardiner-rielly in Toronto or klefbom-Schultz in Edm. Montreal also has some nice pieces although none as flashy.

Hossa 11-29-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSimpson18 (Post 56110219)
Pittsburgh. For high end guys you have to like gardiner-rielly in Toronto or klefbom-Schultz in Edm. Montreal also has some nice pieces although none as flashy.

Not really a prospect by any definition.

AJMHABS 11-29-2012 05:44 AM

Pittsburgh easily, followed by Toronto, Montreal, and a few others (not in order)

Roadman 11-29-2012 07:51 AM

the CBJ should warrant some consideration. (nod to Haatley)

Top four:
Murray (out for year), Erixson, Moore, and Savard

Solid Prospects:
Goloubef, Weber, Prout, Madaisky

CraniumCram 11-29-2012 07:58 AM

Buffalo makes a case too with a lot of all around talent on D. McNabb and Pysyk have almost both cemented themselves in the top 4 of the future, while guys like Brennan, McCabe, JGL could always surprise and make a name for themselves. Add to that some young guys already starting on D and our future looks bright in that area of the ice.

birddog* 11-29-2012 08:34 AM

Gardiner, Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker, merits consideration.

Holzner is ranked the Leafs 9th best D prospect and is pegged to make the team this year.

Lonewolfe2015 11-29-2012 08:50 AM

Defensive prospects have really taken a swing upwards over the recent years for several teams.

Pittsburgh (Pouliot, Morrow, Harrington, Maatta, Dumoulin)
Toronto (Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker)
Colorado (Siemens, Elliott, Barrie, Gaunce)
Montreal (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Thrower, Ellis, Dietz)
Edmonton (Schutlz, Klefbom, Marincin, Musil)
Phoenix (Gormley, Murphy, Rundblad)
Minnesota (Dumba, Brodin, Cuma)
NJD (Urbom, Merrill, Severson, Scarlett)
Nashville (Ellis, Blum, Josi)
Columbus (Murray, Erixon, Savard, Goloubef)
Buffalo (McNabb, Pysyk, Gauthier-Leduc, McCabe)

Not a specific order really, but the top 5 stand out as being the best imo.

blinkman360 11-29-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 56111493)
Defensive prospects have really taken a swing upwards over the recent years for several teams.

Pittsburgh (Pouliot, Morrow, Harrington, Maatta, Dumoulin)
Toronto (Rielly, Finn, Percy, Blacker)
Colorado (Siemens, Elliott, Barrie, Gaunce)
Montreal (Beaulieu, Tinordi, Thrower, Ellis, Dietz)
Edmonton (Schutlz, Klefbom, Marincin, Musil)
Phoenix (Gormley, Murphy, Rundblad)
Minnesota (Dumba, Brodin, Cuma)
NJD (Urbom, Merrill, Severson, Scarlett)
Nashville (Ellis, Blum, Josi)
Columbus (Murray, Erixon, Savard, Goloubef)
Buffalo (McNabb, Pysyk, Gauthier-Leduc, McCabe)

Not a specific order really, but the top 5 stand out as being the best imo.

Pittsburgh wins as far as high-end depth, but I think the Phoenix trio has the most upside.

I also think the Isles should be on this list: Reinhart, deHaan, Donovan, Mayfield, Pokka, Pelech, Kichton, Pedan. Aside from Reinhart there isn't much #1 d-man potential, but a lot of guys who could become solid 2nd pairing defensemen.

The Podium 11-29-2012 09:59 AM

Pittsburgh wins solely on depth, Phionex, Columbus, Toronto and Minnesota have the highest cieling, Montreal, Colorado and Anaheim are pretty strong as well.

tony d 11-29-2012 10:13 AM

Pittsburgh. Lots of potential on their list of defensive prospects.

Halak Ness Monster 11-29-2012 11:40 AM

Obviously Pittsburgh takes the honor but Phoenix has to be up there:

Brandon Gormley: #2 potential, strong all-around
David Rundblad: PP QB, 2nd pairing if he improves D enough
Connor Murphy: 2nd pairing potential, also strong all-around
Michael Stone: Big defender, some offense, smart
Chris Summers: Never developed offense, good depth though

Lonewolfe2015 11-29-2012 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkman360 (Post 56111909)
Pittsburgh wins as far as high-end depth, but I think the Phoenix trio has the most upside.

I also think the Isles should be on this list: Reinhart, deHaan, Donovan, Mayfield, Pokka, Pelech, Kichton, Pedan. Aside from Reinhart there isn't much #1 d-man potential, but a lot of guys who could become solid 2nd pairing defensemen.

Good catch on the Isles, forgot about them. They'd slot up there too, maybe not too high yet because we need to see how their 2012 class progresses, but around the 8-12 area.

I'm not too sold on the Phoenix group personally speaking. They all look promising, but I haven't really been wowed by any of them yet. I'd definitely take Minnesota's top 2 and Columbus' group over Phoenix's.

Kulemon 11-29-2012 12:18 PM

Toronto:

Rielly 1-2D
Gardiner 1-2D
Finn 2-4D
Percy 3-4D
Blacker 3-4D
Holzer 4-5D
Granberg 5-6D
etc.

Shrimper 11-29-2012 12:19 PM

Pittsburgh wins this hands down.

Fozz 11-29-2012 12:22 PM

Whoever drafts Jones.

GordieHoweHatTrick 11-29-2012 12:27 PM

Quality over quantity. I'd take Edmonton or Toronto's pool because of the Schultz/Rielly factors alone. I also really like Montreal's group with Tinordi and Beaulieu.

hbk 11-29-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster (Post 56114197)
Obviously Pittsburgh takes the honor but Phoenix has to be up there:

Brandon Gormley: #2 potential, strong all-around
David Rundblad: PP QB, 2nd pairing if he improves D enough
Connor Murphy: 2nd pairing potential, also strong all-around
Michael Stone: Big defender, some offense, smart
Chris Summers: Never developed offense, good depth though

If you factor in that OEL is only 20 years old as well there is a strong argument for Phoenix.

That 11-29-2012 12:38 PM

Pittsburgh for me. It's hard to argue with not only high end talent, but lots of depth and variety. Morrow, Pouliot, Harrington, Despres, Maatta, Dumoulin are all great prospects that have top 4 potential.

Second would be Phoenix. Similar to Pittsburgh in how they have high end talent and depth too, but just not as much. Gormley and Murphy a pair of solid two-way defenders who have top pairing upside, Rundblad has loads of potential, and Stone and Summers provide solid depth.

I couldn't decide between Columbus (Murray, Erixon, Moore, Savard, Goloubef, Reilly), Toronto (Rielly, Blacker, Finn, Percy, Holzer), New York Islanders (Reinhart, de Haan, Mayfield, Pokka, Pedan), and Edmonton (Schultz, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil) for the next 3 spots to round out the top 5.

HM mentions to Buffalo (McNabb, Pysyk, Brennan, Gauthier-Leduc, McCabe), Montreal (Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Bennett, Thrower, Dietz) and Minnesota (Brodin, Dumba, Cuma).

blinkman360 11-29-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That (Post 56115431)
Pittsburgh for me. It's hard to argue with not only high end talent, but lots of depth and variety. Morrow, Pouliot, Harrington, Despres, Maatta, Dumoulin are all great prospects that have top 4 potential.

Second would be Phoenix. Similar to Pittsburgh in how they have high end talent and depth too, but just not as much. Gormley and Murphy a pair of solid two-way defenders who have top pairing upside, Rundblad has loads of potential, and Stone and Summers provide solid depth.

I couldn't decide between Columbus (Murray, Erixon, Moore, Savard, Goloubef, Reilly), Toronto (Rielly, Blacker, Finn, Percy, Holzer), and Edmonton (Schultz, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil) for the next 3 spots to round out the top 5.

HM mentions to Buffalo (McNabb, Pysyk, Brennan, Gauthier-Leduc, McCabe), Montreal (Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Bennett, Thrower, Dietz) and Minnesota (Brodin, Dumba, Cuma).

I think either Toronto is being overrated here, or the Isles are being underrated.

If anything the Isles top-5 of Reinhart, Donovan, Mayfield, deHaan and Pokka is at the same level, if not slightly ahead of that Toronto top-5.

Not to mention outside of the top-5, guys like Pelech, Kichton and Pedan are better than any 3 other prospects Toronto can throw out there.

I'd understand if Toronto had another guy with elite potential, but they have the same amount of those guys as NYI: 1.

MoreGore 11-29-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulemon (Post 56114973)
Toronto:

Rielly 1-2D
Gardiner 1-2D
Finn 2-4D
Percy 3-4D
Blacker 3-4D
Holzer 4-5D
Granberg 5-6D
etc.

I admit that I am surprised with the love the Leafs are getting. Gardiner is not a prospect, which makes the list weaker.

Reilly is a great prospect, but after him there is no single guy that really stands out as a very good prospect. Teams would be happy to have the depth that Toronto has though.

I certainly would put them in the 7-11 ranking easily enough.

Petro Points 11-29-2012 12:56 PM

my response to thread title = Bruins
my response to original post = Penguins

Haatley 11-29-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kulemon (Post 56114973)
Toronto:

Rielly 1-2D
Gardiner 1-2D
Finn 2-4D
Percy 3-4D
Blacker 3-4D
Holzer 4-5D
Granberg 5-6D
etc.

Never surprised to see you in here homering the leafs.
Not even close to pens or jackets.

Smallz 11-29-2012 01:06 PM

Saying a young D shouldn't be included in this just because he's already played his rookie season is pretty stupid in my opinion

Who cares who has the best d prospects - the better question is who has the best young D-core moving forward because then you can include a Gardiner, McNabb, Ellis, Josi, etc.